April 18, 2024, 08:04:17 AM

News:

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

Quote from: 1workinman on June 23, 2019, 02:35:59 PM
I enjoy seeing really nice work and attention to detail appreciate you posting the build so folks can learn from it

:up: :up:

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

HighLiner

Quote from: turboprop on June 23, 2019, 01:02:38 PM
Quote from: HighLiner on June 23, 2019, 12:44:59 PM
Any pics of the inner primary mod?

The ship has passed for an opportunity to take a pic of the mod. However, anyone putting a bagger trans case into an FXR and using an FXR inner primary will understand everything that I have written below. No t saying you are one, but really have no time to entertain the curiosity seekers.

PSA - Anyone that is doing an FXR/TC conversion and needs more clarification on this aspect is very welcome to PM me for one on one discussion about this modification.

your inbox is full.

turboprop

Quote from: HighLiner on June 26, 2019, 02:03:01 PM
Quote from: turboprop on June 23, 2019, 01:02:38 PM
Quote from: HighLiner on June 23, 2019, 12:44:59 PM
Any pics of the inner primary mod?

The ship has passed for an opportunity to take a pic of the mod. However, anyone putting a bagger trans case into an FXR and using an FXR inner primary will understand everything that I have written below. No t saying you are one, but really have no time to entertain the curiosity seekers.

PSA - Anyone that is doing an FXR/TC conversion and needs more clarification on this aspect is very welcome to PM me for one on one discussion about this modification.

your inbox is full.

Not any more.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Scotty

Might seem like a crazy question but is that exhaust FXR specific or is it the FLH version?
Just curious as to how it is mounted at the transmission.

turboprop

Quote from: Scotty on June 26, 2019, 02:44:32 PM
Might seem like a crazy question but is that exhaust FXR specific or is it the FLH version?

It's an off the rack pipe by FAB28. Aside from the heads, the only other mounting point is the lower bolts in the trap door. The mounting bracket is designed to clear the different angle of the FXR clutch cable, the FLH oil spout and the FXR rear master cylinder. Out of the box the pipe can be mounted to drive trains that use either the FXR or  bagger style transmission cases.

https://www.fab28industries.com/collections/exhaust-systems/products/fxr-high-performance

Scotty

Quote from: turboprop on June 26, 2019, 02:56:07 PM
Quote from: Scotty on June 26, 2019, 02:44:32 PM

It's an off the rack pipe by FAB28. Aside from the heads, the only other mounting point is the lower bolts in the trap door. The mounting bracket is designed to clear the different angle of the FXR clutch cable, the FLH oil spout and the FXR rear master cylinder. Out of the box the pipe can be mounted to drive trains that use either the FXR or  bagger style transmission cases.

https://www.fab28industries.com/collections/exhaust-systems/products/fxr-high-performance

:up:

turboprop

Update.

1. Primary drive is finished.
2. Rear MC and reservoir has been sorted out, plumbed and bleed.
3. Engine vent system has been sorted out, plumbed.
4. Starter, battery and cables are in place.
5. Cycle Electric 3-Phase charging system installed.
6. Engine/drivetrain components have been powder coated black wrinkle.
7. Added FXRP bags.

1. The primary drive major components: NOS '98 up basket and hub, ceramic bearing, Rekluse clutch pack (not the auto version), RK chain, Vulcan sprocket 25/36, Vulcan shifter tube with custom honed bushings, Baker fine tooth adjuster, Delkron '94 and up inner case, OEM 5-hole outer cover, Vulcan billet inspection cover, VPC pressure plate, ARP 12pt stainless hardware, Mobile 1 ATF, Super Magnet drain drain plug.

2. Rear MC uses an outer case from a bagger (different angle on feed port), clear tubing, NOS GMA billet reservoir. Galfer Dot 4 fluid, Goodrich pressure sensor/banjo bolt, Galfer 3AN hydraulic line.

3. Vent port on engine case has been plugged, vent line on oil spout is fitted with 6AN hose and routed to an industrial one-way valve. Oil spout has been machined to allow clearance for ARP 12pt bolts.

4. The All Balls 1.4kw starter out of the box had clearance issues with the oil spout and had to have the ends of the long bolts cut down. The Ant-Gravity 860 CCA battery is slightly shorter than the oem size and required a lift block to allow the battery mounting bracket to function. A male/female spacer block with a ¾ lift was made from black delkron. The 2ga battery cables were made from high grade copper cable with gold ends and have 10ga dongles that connect to circuit breakers and chassis ground.

5. Self explanatory.

6. While the chassis has been blacked, the engine, trans and primary drive were built using the typical chrome components. I didn't like how it looked so I pulled all of the chrome pieces and had them powder coated in wrinkle black by an award winning shop. Looks good with the ARP 12pt stainless hardware.

7. Bags came from FXR Division and work with the later style straight fender struts. Bags were flawless, the brackets needed some adjustments.

To do list:

1. Add engine and trans fluids.
2. Complete modifications to front portion of the wiring harness. 
3. Decide on supplemental driving lights.
4. Fabricate brackets for the AFR gauge and radar detector.
5. Fabricate new mount for exhaust.
6. Fabricate mounts for rifle and handgun.
7. Integrate cellular jammer.

Before and after pics.

[/url]

Deye76

Coming along very nicely.  :up: :up:
All the good stuff in your bikes, no short cuts. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Have been going back and forth about wether or not to blacken the pipe. Was waiting until the engine/drive train was back together before deciding. The pipe really stands out. Not sure I like it this way.

Also thinking about pulling the fork legs and having DLC applied to the DX tubes.

ecir50

stunning, now you say it the pipe does stick out.

HighLiner

Have to remember the stainless pipe will dull down and change color with use!

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Quote from: HighLiner on August 17, 2019, 04:36:19 PM
Have to remember the stainless pipe will dull down and change color with use!

:up:  I think as it turns a little burnt gold from use it'll look right at home. I think black would be too much black on that side of the bike. The gold tinted exhaust would add a little contrast. 

akjeff

Looks way mo' better with the black engine covers........really nice work! And, thanks for sharing the technical info! Bike is looking great, and would be a rush to ride. :up: :up: I'd wait to see what color the exhaust settles into, before blacking it.
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

kd

I agree with Ohio.  As the pipe seasons it'll look hot. (and right at home the way it should)
KD

itsafatboy

If the color changes then maybe will be cool, I always looked at my bike when I built it and said where do my eyes go first , just my opinion,  nice job on  bike very cool ,

biggzed

What are you thinking for a rifle mount? On my 2007 stock bags I mocked up a set of J hooks that I bonded to the inside of the bag. I could fit my 10.5" AR with Law Tactical folding stock adapter in. Removal was pretty quick as well. Those FXR division bags look to have more room than a stock touring bag.

My purpose was to be able to ride to the range. The place I used to go was quite a ways out of town down a really nice road. I hated taking the truck on such a nice road, so figured out a way to take the bike. Obviously your purpose may be different, so I'm sure design will follow need like your stuff does. Seeing pics of your work so far, I'm sure you'll come up with something functional/cool.

Zach

turboprop

Quote from: biggzed on August 19, 2019, 01:11:45 PM
What are you thinking for a rifle mount? On my 2007 stock bags I mocked up a set of J hooks that I bonded to the inside of the bag. I could fit my 10.5" AR with Law Tactical folding stock adapter in. Removal was pretty quick as well. Those FXR division bags look to have more room than a stock touring bag.

My purpose was to be able to ride to the range. The place I used to go was quite a ways out of town down a really nice road. I hated taking the truck on such a nice road, so figured out a way to take the bike. Obviously your purpose may be different, so I'm sure design will follow need like your stuff does. Seeing pics of your work so far, I'm sure you'll come up with something functional/cool.

Zach

In the past I used simple bungee cords and strapped a long gun across the top of the handle bars, sort of wedged in around the mirror stems but my tastes have become a bit more refined lately. Would like the means to attach either a short barrel black rifle or 7.62 wooden scout of some sort and be able to leave it on the bike while I went into a restaurant.

dynabagger

Great bike. thanks for sharing. My retirement project will
Be an FXR. Be ready for many a dumb questions.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

turboprop

Quote from: dynabagger on August 19, 2019, 04:06:28 PM
Great bike. thanks for sharing. My retirement project will
Be an FXR. Be ready for many a dumb questions.

I hear this a lot form people. FXRs are currently somewhat trendy. If I could give you some insight into these bikes it would be that with the exception of a handful of CVO bikes, the last FXR was produced twenty five years ago. The oldest FXRs are thirty seven years old. Be prepared to do a total teardown to a bare frame, split the engine cases, gut the trans, etc. Not only will most everything be worn out, dry rotted cracked, etc, but most every piece of allimunum will have stripped threads, gauged mating surfaces, etc. To add to the pain, a lot of the consumables and major components are long since gone from the standard supply chain. Fun.

I currently own three FXRs that I have taken down to the bare frame and built up. The FXR trendiness has really driven up the prices of stuff but that's OK. I suspect it will be short lived, just like the billet softail thing of the mid-90s. Eventually there will be a whole bunch of really nice FXRs with high bars and various fairings for sale for cheap.

Best of luck with your project. Feel free to ask me questions, but do it in the open forum and search first. As you may have noticed, I get really annoyed by people starting posts on subject that have been discussed countless times. 'What are the best lifters for my blue 04 SE Deuce, with gay pipes?' - Don't be that guy.

dynabagger

[/quote]

'What are the best lifters for my blue 04 SE Deuce, with gay pipes?'
[/quote]

Damn Turbo that was going to be my first question 🥴
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

biggzed

Quote from: turboprop on August 19, 2019, 05:16:38 PMEventually there will be a whole bunch of really nice FXRs with high bars and various fairings for sale for cheap.

When that happens, I hope I can find one that has been built with the attention to detail that you are putting into yours. I'd love to own one, but I know I don't have the skill and patience to build one right.

Zach

turboprop

Quote from: turboprop on August 17, 2019, 01:34:49 PM
Update.

1. Primary drive is finished.
2. Rear MC and reservoir has been sorted out, plumbed and bleed.
3. Engine vent system has been sorted out, plumbed.
4. Starter, battery and cables are in place.
5. Cycle Electric 3-Phase charging system installed.
6. Engine/drivetrain components have been powder coated black wrinkle.
7. Added FXRP bags.

1. The primary drive major components: NOS '98 up basket and hub, ceramic bearing, Rekluse clutch pack (not the auto version), RK chain, Vulcan sprocket 25/36, Vulcan shifter tube with custom honed bushings, Baker fine tooth adjuster, Delkron '94 and up inner case, OEM 5-hole outer cover, Vulcan billet inspection cover, VPC pressure plate, ARP 12pt stainless hardware, Mobile 1 ATF, Super Magnet drain drain plug.

2. Rear MC uses an outer case from a bagger (different angle on feed port), clear tubing, NOS GMA billet reservoir. Galfer Dot 4 fluid, Goodrich pressure sensor/banjo bolt, Galfer 3AN hydraulic line.

3. Vent port on engine case has been plugged, vent line on oil spout is fitted with 6AN hose and routed to an industrial one-way valve. Oil spout has been machined to allow clearance for ARP 12pt bolts.

4. The All Balls 1.4kw starter out of the box had clearance issues with the oil spout and had to have the ends of the long bolts cut down. The Ant-Gravity 860 CCA battery is slightly shorter than the oem size and required a lift block to allow the battery mounting bracket to function. A male/female spacer block with a ¾ lift was made from black delkron. The 2ga battery cables were made from high grade copper cable with gold ends and have 10ga dongles that connect to circuit breakers and chassis ground.

5. Self explanatory.

6. While the chassis has been blacked, the engine, trans and primary drive were built using the typical chrome components. I didn't like how it looked so I pulled all of the chrome pieces and had them powder coated in wrinkle black by an award winning shop. Looks good with the ARP 12pt stainless hardware.

7. Bags came from FXR Division and work with the later style straight fender struts. Bags were flawless, the brackets needed some adjustments.

To do list:

1. Add engine and trans fluids.
2. Complete modifications to front portion of the wiring harness. 
3. Decide on supplemental driving lights.
4. Fabricate brackets for the AFR gauge and radar detector.
5. Fabricate new mount for exhaust.
6. Fabricate mounts for rifle and handgun.
7. Integrate cellular jammer.

Before and after pics.

[/url]

Update:

The FXR Jam a few weeks out has motivated to get this done. So, a couple days ago I got it on the lift and started to get reacquainted with the project. I fired it up last night. Four heat cycles have been completed. No fluid leaks, but there is an exhaust leak. Still have a bunch of electrical stuff to to tighten up but everything is working to include the turn signals.

The engine in this bike is not my typical style  but seems very torquey. The 1.4kw Tech Cycle starter combined with a 680 CCA Anti Gravity battery spins the TC124 w/10.5 compression RedShift 657 cams and harley compression releases with ease.

Target is to have everything buttoned up and a couple shake down rides completed in time to ride to a local bike night with my boys.

Still not sure how I feel about having an FXR with saddlebags, turn signals and a visor. Seems so baaggerish (barf x2).

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

cheech

Looks good, and bags and fairing are functional so why not.
Just keep it up on the rear wheel like all the other FXR's and no one will notice.