Replacing a 5 speed transition to a DD6 or overdrive?

Started by RTMike, August 14, 2019, 08:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTMike

Like some input,have a 6 speed overdrive trans in my FXRT and it sounds like it has a hand full of nuts and bolts rattling around in it.It works fine shifts good just lots of gear noise.
So I am debating on a Baker DD6 can I get some input on the performance and noise of these kits. :fish:

koko3052

Changed my 5 spd in an '05 fatboy, 110", mostly to get rpms right where I cruise...LOVE IT! Shifts smooth & has the rpm's where I want them! Been in a year or so & 15K. :up:

les

I've done SE and Baker DD6 trannys.  Of course the DD6 is going to run smooth and shift like butter, and is why the cost so much.  I also like the direct drive just when I need it (6th gear).  Also, the helical cut gears make it quiet, based on the ones that I've done.

Deye76

How much power are you putting out? OD's typically handle more power. Jims Fat Five OD will take all you can throw at it.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

calif phil

Sounds like you might have a $700 ~ trans in there now.  IMHO you can't buy a better tranny than Baker.

RTMike

Yes it is a offshore trans,I have read conflicting reports on the over drive and DD6,just looking for a quite smooth shifting transmition that drops my cruising RPM down.DD6 is my preference just like to hear from people that have installed and road them. :unsure:

calif phil

I ran a DD6 in my 2003 FLHT   shifted better than factory and had 38k trouble free miles when I sold the bike.   I have a buddy with one behind his 124 and he knows he is pushing the limits with it but has had no issues so far. 

HogMike

Quote from: calif phil on August 15, 2019, 08:42:26 AM
I ran a DD6 in my 2003 FLHT   shifted better than factory and had 38k trouble free miles when I sold the bike.   I have a buddy with one behind his 124 and he knows he is pushing the limits with it but has had no issues so far.

I got the Baker OD cassette in 05 I believe for my 1995 FLHT, the following year the 113 S&S was installed.
About 60k miles on the bike with zero issues. Still shift smooth as butter and the engine seems to gain HP as the years go by, or maybe it's me getting older! LOL
Agree with Phil, I like my Baker. :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Deye76

The Baker DD5 is available for most years of the FXR's. Some of the gears in that are reported to be back cut. If you ever ran a trans with back cut gears you will be impressed IME. I was. Pricey, but you only go round once.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

les

Quote from: RTMike on August 15, 2019, 07:35:30 AM
Yes it is a offshore trans,I have read conflicting reports on the over drive and DD6,just looking for a quite smooth shifting transmition that drops my cruising RPM down.DD6 is my preference just like to hear from people that have installed and road them. :unsure:

Yep, I've installed and ridden them for tens of thousands of miles. Excellent tranny.  Smooth shifting, easy to find neutral, running quiet, drops RPM's at the high speeds.

klammer76

I run a SE OD6 speed in my 2002 FLH combined with3.37 primary. No issues and works well.

Eglider05

Quote from: klammer76 on August 19, 2019, 08:20:47 AM
I run a SE OD6 speed in my 2002 FLH combined with3.37 primary. No issues and works well.

:agree::up: :up: :up: On my 120" 05 FLH.

Rick

klammer76

Quote from: Eglider05 on August 19, 2019, 05:55:17 PM

Rick
Wow, that 3.37 must be wicked in a 120 :up: No snapping the throttle w/o hanging on. Do you run a chain or belt final?

Funny thing, when my bike was carbed it was responsive but now that it's efi the least little input is felt. I have run the 3.37 for years, the addition of the OD6 gives the top like the original 3.15 did. Best of both worlds.

Eglider05

Quote from: klammer76 on August 20, 2019, 02:33:24 PM
Quote from: Eglider05 on August 19, 2019, 05:55:17 PM

Rick
Wow, that 3.37 must be wicked in a 120 :up: No snapping the throttle w/o hanging on. Do you run a chain or belt final?

Funny thing, when my bike was carbed it was responsive but now that it's efi the least little input is felt. I have run the 3.37 for years, the addition of the OD6 gives the top like the original 3.15 did. Best of both worlds.

I'm running a chain final. I figured better safe than sorry. I also added a wide rear tire/fender setup. It all came together pretty good.

Rick

joelp34252

August 21, 2019, 03:54:17 PM #14 Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:10:36 PM by joelp34252
Just put a Baker OD6 in my FLHT. Only 500 miles on it so far, so these are the preliminary observations. Easiest neutral to find I have ever felt on a harley. Very good drop in revs at cruising speed. Shifting feels like stock as far as smoothness. Slightly noisier than stock in the lower gears. Sixth gear definate gear rattle. Am running shockproof lite oil and might try something heavier to get rid of the gear rattle. Original tranny had 145000 miles and no problems since new. Only went to the 6 speed to hopefully quiet the bike with lower revs at speed. After i get some more miles on it will know more.

Joel 2001 FLHT

RTMike

Try heavy shock proof the light oil is for racing

TA63

Baker OD6 with a 3.37 primary ratio is sweet!  Mine doesnt make any more noise than the stock 5 speed did.

CarlosGGodfrog

Quote from: joelp34252 on August 21, 2019, 03:54:17 PM
Just put a Baker OD6 in my FLHT. Only 500 miles on it so far, so these are the preliminary observations. Easiest neutral to find I have ever felt on a harley. Very good drop in revs at cruising speed. Shifting feels like stock as far as smoothness. Slightly noisier than stock in the lower gears. Sixth gear definate gear rattle. Am running shockproof lite oil and might try something heavier to get rid of the gear rattle. Original tranny had 145000 miles and no problems since new. Only went to the 6 speed to hopefully quiet the bike with lower revs at speed. After i get some more miles on it will know more.

Joel 2001 FLHT

Bakers are not known to make noise. Are you sure it's not pre-ignition or worse ?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: joelp34252 on August 21, 2019, 03:54:17 PM

Joel 2001 FLHT

Perhaps you notice the difference in sound of the Straight 1,2,3 vs Helical 4,5,6. Of all the gears, 6th should be the quietest. No rattle or anything as the components are not moving. What was the Case condition when you installed the Final Drive Bearing? "any" possibility it wasn't seated to the Race properly? Or, perhaps the Race itself is not seated correctly. - Just throwing it out there. Not saying you don't know what you're doing.

On another note, the Primary Chain or Sprocket could be loose following install.  Or, perhaps Adjuster. Did you use Stock or the one in the Builders Kit?- Something to eliminate first.

I would definitely give Jim a Call at Baker.
Tom

dogger

I bought a used DD6 set from another member here several years ago. Finally got time to put it in the old 2001 RoadGlide, along with basket from an injected bike. Still getting used to the change in ratios, but I do like it. 4th gear is great for getting around some slower vehicles. 6th gear dropped the rpm a couple a hundred or so.