March 29, 2024, 07:44:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Powervision wideband O2 sensors

Started by hattitude, June 16, 2018, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I was tuning today with my PowerVision and autotune Pro (AT-110). I believe one of the wideband O2 Sensors is bad....

Do I have to buy those from DynoJet, or one of their dealers?

Or is it a wide band sensor I can get online or at an auto parts store...?

rigidthumper

Google this "Bosch 17205 Oxygen Sensor", and see which one has the connector you need- then take the suspected one to Autozone, PepBoys, O'Reilleys, etc, to see if they can match.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hattitude

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 16, 2018, 05:18:58 PM
Google this "Bosch 17205 Oxygen Sensor", and see which one has the connector you need- then take the suspected one to Autozone, PepBoys, O'Reilleys, etc, to see if they can match.

Thanks for the tip... I'll check that out...

Coyote

aswracing

Those little screw terminals where the harness connects to the module have been known to give me fits. I'd check those first. If you swap the sensors, does the problem follow the suspect sensor?

KE5RBD

I think you can pull up the WBO2 Front and WB02 Rear on the screen on the powervision and tell if they are working.  I think you need the can bus cable hooked up when using the autotune Pro.  Don't need it when running the Target tune.  It will read 17.?? when first started and then go to what ever the afr is for idle, between 11 and 14 can be normal.  Both should be fairly close. 
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

hattitude

Thanks all for the info....

I'm also swapping emails with a DynoJet tech trying to figure out the problem. I'm beginning to think it's a bad O2 sensor, so I was getting prepared, to see if I could get one cheaper than DynoJet will sell me one for....

Here's where I'm at;

I have a PowerVision and an AT-110, so I can do AT-Pro tuning sessions on my '16 Ultra and '03 Heritage. Obviously, I am unable to do any AT-basic sessions on the '03 Heritage.... thus the reason I bought the AT-110.

I am putting a new cam in the '03, while addressing the cam tensioners, and have a base tune from DynoJet & FuelMoto (same tune by the way). Once back together later this week, I'll need to do some AT sessions to dial it in... I'll need the AT-pro to be up & running..

For fun & practice, I hooked up the AT-110 to my '16 Ultra. I got everything all hooked up. I don't have the PV mounted where I can see it. It's all in a small pack, on the back seat, & I have to stop to check the PV "hits" screen.

I needed gas, so I ran the AT-Pro from my home to the gas station. When I left, the O2 sensors hadn't warmed up and nothing was registering on the "Hits" screen. When I got the 5 miles to the gas station, before shutting down, I noticed the AT-Pro had started working and about 26 cells had been filled to red on the "Hits" screen.

After fueling, I got the PV back into AT-Pro mode and on the "hits" screen. I went for a 40 minute ride, with all sorts of geography and speeds, to try to fill as many cells as possible. It's a course I've used for AT Basic, and filled a pretty good portion of the "hits" screen.

When I stopped to see the progress, I had the "WBR:L" message and no additional cells were filled in on the "hits" screen.

I have checked all connections, and then run 2 more AT-Pro sessions, starting from scratch. I even ran a successful AT Basic session between my two attempts at an AT-Pro session. On both additional AT-Pro sessions, I've done about 20 minutes of riding, and when I stopped to check the "hits" screen, it showed no filled cells, and the WBR:L message...

I'm suspecting a bad O2 sensor, but waiting on the final word from the DynoJet tech....

I have the system removed from my '16 Classic, and will start doing some AT-Pro runs on the '03 hopefully by Friday. If I run into the "WBR:L" (I have marked the offending O2 sensor), I'd like to have a spare to swap it out with.

I'll be checking it out tomorrow, but it looks like a Bosch 17205, OEM for Cadillac has the proper plug for the DynoJet. They sell them on Amazon for $79.78 w/free 2-day shipping..... In the question area, a guy asked if it would work with the "power Commander Auto tune, and a powersports place answered, "This item will work for all DynoJet AT-100, AT-200, and AT-300 autotune power commanders."

I'll post up how this all works out, but it may take a few days....

Again, thanks all for the input... I learn a lot form this forum..!!

Jamie Long

easy test; simply swap the suspected bad O2 sensor to the opposite pipe,  if its the sensor the error will move to the other cylinder.

hattitude

Quote from: Jamie Long on June 18, 2018, 01:38:15 PM
easy test; simply swap the suspected bad O2 sensor to the opposite pipe,  if its the sensor the error will move to the other cylinder.

Thanks... I thought of that after I pulled everything off the bike...

I'll be ready, and have more time, when I tune my other bike this Friday...

hattitude

Thanks to this forum.... someone always has the answer....

The O2 sensors used by the DynoJet Auto Tune modules (probabky all auto tune modules) is in fact the Bosch #17205 for the Cadillac.

I picked one up online from Amazon for $78.00. The connector is the exact same as I have on the O2 sensors that came with my DynoJet kit.

FWIW.... after I ordered this form Amazon, the Tech from DynoJet who was exchanging emails with me trying to help solve this problem, sent me this when I asked about what O2 sensors they use.

"The Bosch part number on those wideband O2 sensors is 17205.  Now, I don't know the validity of this, but I was told quite some time ago that the sensors we get are a top tier sensors, which apparently has a better lifespan than those that you would get from a local parts house.  Take that info as you will.  Should you want to purchase those sensors from us, we do sell them individually at $149.95 + shipping."

He's been extremely helpful, and as you can see from his message above, pretty honest. Glad I got one from Amazon.....    :up:

I'll be tuning my other bike this weekend, and hopefully get this AT-Pro working properly. If it does turn out to be an O2 sensor, I won't have to wait for a replacement now.....

jjdalynh

my guess is that this part actually is a better part than other sensors (different part numbers), compared to the stuff that most OEMs would use for typical automotive application.  however, a manufacturer like Bosch would most likely *not* be binning these sensors differently without changing the part number (and possibly getting a premium for them). now, that's not to say that DJ isn't doing their own binning, but i highly doubt it.  plus, they aren't making money selling replacement O2 sensors.  i think you'll be fine. 

hattitude

Just to post back the results....

I started this thread looking for a replacement for the DynoJet O2 sensors for an Auto Tune Module. The one I mentioned 2 posts up, is the one. I got it almost 50% cheaper from Amazon than DynoJet would have charged me for a replacement. Not their fault, numerous vendors sell them for over $100... Can't imagine what a Cadillac dealer would charge.

Secondly, I got good advice from here on what/how to check for the O2 sensor problem. Scott at DynoJet was a big help, too. He eventually called it. He suspected the cable between the AT module and the O2 sensor...

"aswracing" said that where the wires from the O2 sensor harness screw into the back of the AT module, give him fits. He was dead on the money!

Those screw terminals certainly seem like the weak link. Every time I would check those wires, I would give them a firm tug. Never did one feel loose or pull out.

I decided to check the continuity of the wires in the harness. Instead of removing the 6 wires form the module, I used the screw on the module to the contact in the plug. I got continuity on five of the six wires. The rear grey wire gave me nothing!

I pulled that wire, backed the screw almost all the way out, made sure the capture mechanism was open with a paper clip, reinserted the grey wire and tightened it down. Another continuity test showed that connection was now good.

I fired up my bike and the AT Pro is now functioning again......

Thanks again all for the information and assistance!

jjdalynh

unfortunately, i found out i have a bad one today.  swapping the sensors the problem followed the sensor.  ordered the part on amazon same as you, good to hear that it's the exact same part. 

gdishman

I went thru the same problem solving process as you did. I also condemn the sensor before fully checking out the complete system. But till I found the same problem as you! I had tinned the wire before installing them the first time. I double check all wires again before reinstalling the seat.

Frédéric CM

November 17, 2018, 03:38:41 AM #14 Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:00:26 AM by Frédéric CM
(deleted)