April 17, 2024, 07:59:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FuelPak Pro - what's your opinion?

Started by aswracing, April 09, 2019, 09:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aswracing

I'm curious about what other shops out there think of this thing.

If you haven't heard about it yet, it's basically a wideband add-on package for the FP3. But it doesn't work the way the Powervision does. It doesn't create independence from V&H, in fact it keeps V&H in control of the whole tune ecosystem, all tunes still have to go through them.

It's being marketed to primarily to dealers, not end users. The idea is that we develop FP3 tunes with this thing, then we upload said tunes to V&H's server, where they can be retrieved by our customers, or presumably whoever we designate. I don't really know all the details. But the gist of it is a cloud based system for sending out tunes, and also there's some method by which we can even charge for the tunes.

Apparently there's no PC app to allow us to modify tunes and save them and email them. Likewise there's no method by which a customer can receive a tune by email and flash it to his bike. If I understand the system correctly, everything has to go through V&H. They are the only ones who can send a tune to someone. So at the end of the day, they control all distribution of tunes, and they have a copy of every tune, and for that matter they know what tune is installed in what bike at any given time.

I have to tell you, that doesn't sit will with me. Being able to pull a tune up in WinPV or whatever app goes with the system, make mods, save it in a file, email it, do whatever I want with it, that's important to me. It's between me and the bike I'm tuning, or between me and the customer I'm sending a tune to. That's the way it should be, in my opinion.

I don't see us allowing V&H to control the distribution of our tunes, or having a copy of our tunes on their server, or knowing what tunes we have installed in what customer bikes. That's none of their business and it's not their property. So I don't see us getting an FP Pro or playing this whole game. It's going to create something of an inconvenience for our customers, but in my view, people ought to boycott that tuner so long as V&H is going to operate in this way. It's just bullshit.

What do you guys think?

joe_lyons

Still a turd with wideband add ons.  Slightly above the SE street tuner with their wideband add-on.  Don't like the fact that I must buy the "PRO" kit before I can even get the cloud based program.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

aswracing

I understand, but the issue I have is we're in the engine kit business. A lot of people have bought a tuner before they ever contact us. And increasingly, that tuner they've already bought is an FP3, and they don't want to buy a new tuner. They went out and bought a V&H exhaust and got suckered into buying the turd of a tuner to go with it.

So like it or not, we have to deal with the thing. When we sell a kit into a FP3 application, we email bunch of table values and settings and tell the customer to have fun punching them into his phone. It's tedious and time consuming and error prone, and that greatly increases the chances of a scuffed kit. So the thing is a huge headache. But it provides no facility for me to send them a tune.

Now with the "Pro" thing coming out, technically I have a method to provide tunes. I just have to be willing to give them to V&H first and let them be in possession of my work and in control of distributing it. What a load of crap. So long as they want to do business that way, they can stick their product where the sun don't shine. Sideways.

koko3052

Basically... you do the work & they collect the profits, eventually putting yourself out of business! :turd:

HD/Wrench

tell them you will not use it have them buy a real tuner TTS or PV . IF not bid them good luck they will need it .

I cannot believe this is a real question to be honest .  Sorry you use that POS tuner  ,....customer buys our kit  and has a  FP3  and want's a warranty from us  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: 

Sorry but you are a issue in the industry for even allowing them to try and use it and supporting it  with a kit .  You actions only enforce it to the people that drank the  :koolaid4:

Then you get the phone call where you hear" well hammer performance uses it !!"  and I say well if they want to deal with it let them its a junk tuner and great for burning down engines , they should know better .

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

BVHOG

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

aswracing

Well, I don't like the thing either. But at the end of the day, it's a flash tuner. Therefore it can rewrite all the same tables and settings as the Powervision, at least the ones we need to rewrite. Which means it's capable of supporting our engine kits.

We don't sell it, and we warn customers that FP3's account for a disproportionate number of scuffed kits, and we encourage them to replace it with a PV. But I'm not going to lie to customers and tell them it won't work. It can work. It's not easy, and it's risky, but we have customers using it successfully.

I was really hoping they'd come out with a regular PC app to build and modify and email tunes, like every other tuner offers. That would make it a more viable choice for customers. Instead they come out with this V&H-in-control scheme where they continue to control tune distribution. It's a bunch of crap. Until V&H is willing to let us control and distribute our tunes ourselves, I'm going to continue to steer people away from it.

jjdalynh

the problem i would see is that they control the results of your work and are free todo with it as they may.  i'd consider the results of your own tuning efforts to be your own intellectual property and it's something that has worth.  why would you want to relinquish control over that?   it's also owned by the customer, they should have access to it whenever they want to do with what they want.  so, if you somehow lose the original tune that was developed, how can you be sure the one they set you up with again is the same one that you worked out originally?

Mirrmu

People don't get there tune file from a lot of shops,

SE files are deliberately scrambled and others aren't provided,

Hilly13

Quote from: Mirrmu on April 21, 2019, 03:17:30 PM

An unholy practice in my opinion.
Just because its said don't make it so

98fxstc

Quote from: Hilly13 on April 21, 2019, 06:00:30 PM
Quote from: Mirrmu on April 21, 2019, 03:17:30 PM

An unholy practice in my opinion.

Isn't it possible to download the current calibration in the ecm using the vci
or is that possible only with certain of the SERT,SEPT,SESPT ???

HV

With all HD VCIs the current tune is saved in it and can be down loaded at any time....with a PV the tune is also saved in it.....the only difference is when a PV is being used by a shop with tune liscences ....the tune is then saved by the shop but most give the customer a copy if they want one
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Mirrmu

The file is scrambled,  it's on bike but you can't read it

98fxstc

Quote from: Mirrmu on April 22, 2019, 10:34:33 AM
I don't understand how they could do that.
Could only have one file in the ecm and it would have to be a functioning calibration. ???

Hilly13

Quote from: 98fxstc on April 22, 2019, 06:00:56 PM
Could only have one file in the ecm and it would have to be a functioning calibration. ???
That's not quite right, with the screamin eagle software when you hit program it programs the ECM, once that's complete it then saves the calibration to the dongle, you can see the progress is shown on the computer screen, if the tuner pulls the cord in that procedure the file is then corrupted, can't pull the cal back out of the ECM and read or edit it with the screamin eagle software, Power Vision can I think, couldn't with TTS when I had that either from memory.
Just because its said don't make it so

98fxstc

Quote from: Hilly13 on April 22, 2019, 07:04:07 PM
Quote from: 98fxstc on April 22, 2019, 06:00:56 PM
That's not quite right, with the screamin eagle software when you hit program it programs the ECM, once that's complete it then saves the calibration to the dongle, you can see the progress is shown on the computer screen, if the tuner pulls the cord in that procedure the file is then corrupted, can't pull the cal back out of the ECM and read or edit it with the screamin eagle software, Power Vision can I think, couldn't with TTS when I had that either from memory.

OK
Thanks Hilly

98fxstc

I reckon you could pull the file out with TTS
The mte file can be downloaded from the ecm
And I have accidentally overwritten that by downloading the current file in the ecm   :crook:

rigidthumper

Modern VCI units will store the map currently in the ECM. SE can be corrupted by intentional unplugging of the VCI during the save process. TTS blue units will hold current map and extracted MTE file. Single powervision units can hold a copy of the stock map, and up to 8 tunes in memory locations called "slots".
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?