March 28, 2024, 09:27:36 AM

News:

shovel to pan

Started by hbkeith, December 19, 2017, 01:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

Friend has a 66FLH , basicly stock , been sitting long time , the Engine needs LOTs of topend work , thinking on turning it to a Panhead , never plans to ever sell it , What all of the 66 parts would work in the swap . Topend oil system on late Pan and early shovel were same wernt they ?

HogMike

If I remember the head bolt pattern is different.
Then pretty much just exhaust and the other top end brackets carb, etc
Very easy swap IMO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

If it was me, I'd keep it stock 66
But
That's
JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

hbkeith

Quote from: HOGMIKE on December 19, 2017, 05:23:30 AM
But
That's
JMHO
just kicking around the idea since it kinda needs new cylinders and heads ayway, got plenty of other bikes , thinking might want to have 66 pan for a while . basicly would just need Pan Heads and Cylinders ?

kd

The 66 heads were the best of the slabside model. The barrels are still around if you need them too but they will take a .060 overbore with ease. Pistons in that size are not that rare either. It can probably (actually for sure) be fixed for less cost or trouble than switching over. You will end up with a bastard vintage bike if you take that route so include the loss of value in your estimate.  :wink:

If it's been sitting that long it shouldn't be a problem taking your time to shop around either.
KD

hbkeith

December 20, 2017, 01:59:53 AM #5 Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:32:48 AM by hbkeith
yep

Hillside Motorcycle

But
That's
JMHO

First year of the generator Shovel.
Keep it stock. :up: :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

hbkeith

December 20, 2017, 05:09:37 AM #9 Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:38:03 AM by hbkeith
WTF !  know what a 66 is

hbkeith

Quote from: kd on December 19, 2017, 02:09:49 PM
The 66 heads were the best of the slabside model. The barrels are still around if you need them too but they will take a .060 overbore with ease. Pistons in that size are not that rare either. It can probably (actually for sure) be fixed for less cost or trouble than switching over. You will end up with a bastard vintage bike if you take that route so include the loss of value in your estimate.  :wink:

If it's been sitting that long it shouldn't be a problem taking your time to shop around either.
OK .....

hbkeith

Quote from: Scott P on December 20, 2017, 03:23:23 AM
But
That's
JMHO

First year of the generator Shovel.
Keep it stock. :up: :up:
Realy ?

HogMike

It looks to me like you got some specific answers to your questions, along with some opinions of other people thinking out loud what THEY thought.
This forum is full of useful information if you can weed through all the rest.
I've personally never done the conversion you're talking about, but I DO have a set of cylinders cast with a boss for either 65 or 66 head bolt pattern. Have no idea where they came from so I didn't mention it before.
I try to be as specific as possible when asking questions to avoid feedback that I have to wade through to get my answers.
A BS session in a bar to me is a exercise in what COULD be done..
If your friend is serious to proceed there are people here that can help with the parts list.
Sorry I (we )have pissed on your parade.
Again, JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Deye76

I know it's a old thread. Keep the OE heads, just for originality, get some STD or S&S Pan heads designed for the Shovel intake, and enjoy.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

bobrk1

I  see  a lot  of  pan to  shovel  wouldn't  think  it be  that  hard , but  I've  been  known  to  be  wrong 

Hillside Motorcycle

Nothing wrong with the OEM castings, for the 74" application.
I have over 60,000 on my 1967 FLH, with OE castings.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"