April 17, 2024, 06:41:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ultima 120 El Bruto tale of whoa ...

Started by BigE1340, October 16, 2018, 07:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigE1340

Purchased a 2016 Ultima 120 El Bruto for my 1995 bagger and it has no been real good to me . Last year with only 5k miles on it the lifters spit the rollers out and lodged in the oil pump locking up the motor pretty quickly , so then pull the motor send into Ultima for rebuild and this year with less than 2k miles on the rebuild it literally spits out a 1.5" chunck of the base gasket on the front cylinder WTF ? Called Ultima and waiting for an answer now . Had a RevTech Gen3 100" previously that ran fine without a lick of trouble over 70K miles on that alleged "bad engine" . Not real happy with Ultima right now. :banghead:

Deye76

Hope they take care of you.
Another reason why I say a crate/assembly line motor is a roll of the dice. Generally a bench built motor by a trusted wrench, is more reliable. Only time I had a failure with a bench built motor was years ago when S&S had a bad batch of pistons in their Shovelhead 86" stroker kit. IIRC the pistons came from TRW.   
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

BigE1340

I called Ultima and they were very helpful , they said crate up the motor and send it in . I can pull the front jug a lot faster than the whole motor. I struck a deal with them where they warrantied the parts and I ate the labor . Made the repair and all is well for now. I have to say that Ultima's customer service is very good !! They have never given me a hard time ever . Thank You Ultima !

Deye76

Yes, customer service is very good, when my motor failed they were right on it.

capn

BigE, Change out those Ultima lifters before they bite you again.

Deye76

IIRC John Sachs says Ultima is using good lifters lately.

BigE1340

Deye76

November 20, 2018, 04:04:29 PM #8 Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 04:14:18 PM by Deye76
Quote from: BigE1340 on November 20, 2018, 12:09:47 PM
Who is Johns Sachs ?
A well known engine builder who has helped Ultima, and others in the industry. He contributes here on HTT for many years.

Rocker arms are a different story. After looking at the pics pwmorris linked, exactly the same failure on a rocker arm in a friends Ultima 100" he got last year. Mine is approaching the 3K mark so I'm expecting "noise" any day now. After the oil pump failure at 8 miles, hoping for a break with the rest of the motor.

capn

For peace of mind its best to change out those Ultima rockers and lifters. Thats what I did on the 120. Have 8K miles now and no noise from valve train. Am still gonna put new lifters in at 10K miles.

Deye76

With .640 lift cams would have thought roller rockers would come in them. I wouldn't have minded paying extra up front.

capn

The Ultima motors do come with roller rockers.

BigE1340

Thanks guys for all the info ! Very helpful !

capn

Just had lifter roller go out on the 120. Didnt come apart but it did ruin the cam.Looks like the roller quit spinning and scored a lobe.Well Im gonna try the Ultima lifters I took out and I also got a 248 Ultima cam.Job is half done now.

Burnout

20-50w oil and no oil cooler I'll bet.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

capn

There is an oil cooler and 20/50 till summer. Then back to straight 60 wt.

Deye76

Not to start a oil thread, but what's wrong with 20W-50? I run 20W-60 synthetic, can't imagine straight 60 would make that much of a difference.

capn

I have not seen 20/60 in my area. I ran 60 wt. Amsoil last summer and it seemed pretty good.I got lucas in it now but Ill be going back to amsoil . It gets so hot here in Louisiana that even 60 gets thin and I dont ride in traffic.

JW113

For the love of Jeezus, no oil thread!!

So what's wrong with thin oil?

:potstir:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

capn

I was not a believer in Amsoil 60 till a shop I worked at the owner was a harley trained tech and thats all he uses for oil changes on all HD bikes year round.He convinced me to try it and I like it.That 120 has not used any oil in 10k miles.

Hillside Motorcycle

OIL?
Did someone say an oil thread?...... :duel:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

Will changing to Amsoil 60w cure my asthma?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

capn