March 28, 2024, 09:39:23 AM

News:

80ci upgrade

Started by RoadDawg78, January 07, 2019, 07:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadDawg78

Lookin to build up my Evo without boring the cases.. i have a stock 98 evo with 56k

Hossamania

What is your budget? What kind of bike? What do you want out of it?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

RoadDawg78

98 fatboy looking for a torque monster but be dependable across country

RoadDawg78

i have 4200 for my budget

jls 64

js

kd

One caution on the 98 evo's.  A high percentage of them have tight rods. The rods will stand up on their own.  I have 2 of them and they both were tight and needed to be fixed. Especially if built and abused.  May or may not be an issue but when the barrels come off a rod check will tell.  Both of mine were touring and not softails. I don't know if some of the softails were a problem too.   :nix:  Some one may chime in with more info.
KD

turboprop

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

KD

jls 64

:up: yeah i would like to have one.120 el bruto
js

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: RoadDawg78 on January 07, 2019, 07:30:44 PM

Lookin to build up my Evo without boring the cases.. i have a stock 98 evo with 56k

89" S&S wheel set
Wood 6H cam
10.0 cr
Good heads
S&S E, T/jet
Dyna 2000i
Supertrapp 2/1
Wideband torque, with 100 hp in reach.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

kd

Leave room in the budget for a stronger clutch, pipe, and intake if required.
KD

bobrk1

That kind  of , money  should  be  no problem  getting  a  good  motor  built , just  find a  builder  with  a  good  reputation , ask  around 

jls 64

Better pay a builder than buy a motor.yust my opinion
js

Hillside Motorcycle

Actually at that mileage, the OE crank will suffice, and an 80"er can still produce great power.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Did this to my `97 Fatboy.
Honed the barrels, new rings, 10 thou off the heads, new valve springs and intakes ported for larger valves, adjustable rods, B type lifters. Accel single fire. Was already running a Mikuni with V&H Staggered`s and an EV13 cam.

Very noticeable improvement once i`d redialled the Mikuni in.
Not that expensive for me but i work in UK money so not really sure how it would work out for you.
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

thumper 823

just say AXTELL!
Call Ron and get cast iron 85-inch jugs .
Angle tops and a cam you will be happy...until next season..bigger is better and its all a slippery slope
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Hillside Motorcycle

80" Evo can easily be built to a reliable 85-90 hp, low 90's plus torque.
3 in process here, now.

thumper 823

Go with Hillside -Ya can't go wrong!
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

FSG

a stock 98 EVO with 56k on it and 4200 skins in the budget   :scratch:

I'd look for a similar or higher mileage engine on CL or eBay and have it worked over by one of the vendors and when done mothball the original in the lounge room, office, bedroom

kd

KD

Ohio HD

Maybe speak to one our parts vendors about an Ultima 100" motor.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/100engine.html

rredneckn2

Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2019, 04:39:16 AM
Quote from: RoadDawg78 on January 07, 2019, 07:45:45 PM

$4,200 Budget? Buy this, change the rocker arms to an oem set done by Baisley, have change left over. Done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultima-Black-El-Bruto-120c-i-Complete-Engine-for-Harley-Big-Twin-1984-1999/232683208983?epid=1511852713&hash=item362d000117:g:SiEAAOxy2d9SVwta:rk:71:pf:0 I did this upgrade on a 95 classic and it ran excellent. A high speed John Deere. I miss that bike. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Just change lifters and rocker arms out the gate and you won't have any issues.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

turboprop

Quote from: rredneckn2 on April 27, 2019, 06:53:18 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2019, 04:39:16 AM
Quote from: RoadDawg78 on January 07, 2019, 07:45:45 PM

$4,200 Budget? Buy this, change the rocker arms to an oem set done by Baisley, have change left over. Done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultima-Black-El-Bruto-120c-i-Complete-Engine-for-Harley-Big-Twin-1984-1999/232683208983?epid=1511852713&hash=item362d000117:g:SiEAAOxy2d9SVwta:rk:71:pf:0 I did this upgrade on a 95 classic and it ran excellent. A high speed John Deere. I miss that bike. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Just change lifters and rocker arms out the gate and you won't have any issues.

Yep,

I have a bunch of friends running them in FXRs. Most leave them as they come right out of the crate and end up having issues with the listers and rockers, but tother that they seem like pretty good engines and a terrific value. I am sort fo skeptical about the horsepower numbers that Ultima claims as I have seen way too many sheets that came up way short of the advertised numbers.

Buy the engine direct from Jireh Cycles (no sales tax, free shipping), buy a set of harley rocker arms and send them to Baisley, replace the lifters with a set of Hylifts from Larry. Under $4k with a bunch of really nice and new castings that are much better than anything Harley ever poured. Too bad Ultima doesn't make TC crate engines. I would buy one in minute.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.