April 20, 2024, 04:17:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

RevTech 110 sump

Started by Burnout, March 15, 2019, 02:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnout

After running it aground multiple times causing leaks I was finally forced to remove the sump cover. (hangs down below the frame on a really low custom chassis)

I was surprised to find it was hollow and there are no passages to the scavenge side of the pump.
This traps a considerable amount of oil in the bottom of the motor.
It appears to have been intended to be used with an auxiliary scavenge pump.
Is there a different sump plate that is not hollow?
It does not seem a good idea to trap oil in the bottom of the motor if a pump is not used.
Installing a pump is a possibility but a bash plate would have to be fabbed to keep the bits from running aground.

My thoughts are to fab a plate from steel and use countersunk hardware to secure the plate to protect the screws from being sheared off. But I don't think it wise to leave a pocket of oil in the bottom of the motor. So a plate with a plug machined to fill the gap would have to be whittled out. I also think incorporating a skid plate into the design might be prudent. Or at least something like the old style bash plate that comes off the motor mount bolts.

The existing plate is damaged from a partially sheared off screw and the drain plumbing fittings stick down further reducing ground clearance.

Suggestions?  I'm not sure gaskets are even available for this, much less any hard parts, I checked on Ebay.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Burnout

MikeL

It appears to be an oil collection device windage tray. Are you sure there are no passages meeting up with the rectangle holes facing forward?
I don't think I would put a flat plate in place. That tray contains a lot of oil? Is it hollow?If it is hollow that's oil that isn't getting picked up by the flywheels when running.
Where is the oil pump pulling case oil from?
659624 is the sump gasket part number from Custom Chrome
https://revtech.com/pages/revtech-engine-installation-guide-and-owners-manual

MIKE

Burnout

March 15, 2019, 04:45:42 PM #3 Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:52:55 PM by Burnout
I did not expect to find data for it online. And I don't have a custom Chrome catalog.

Thanks for the most excellent link.

Yes it is hollow, and it's purpose is not advertised.

I was able to find some info in the manual and parts book.

The 110 being a Gen3 motor does not share the sump gasket or sump with the Gen2.
The Gen2 has a solid sump, the Gen3 sump is hollow with an built in oil scraper,
But there are no passages in the cases that would remove oil from the sump, only the two drains that are plugged in this install.
There is no mention in the manual of the oil scraper or the function of the drain fittings, which obviously were intended for an auxiliary scavenge pump or even a vacuum system for drag racing. 
I really expected the oil pump to be connected to the sump in some fashion.
There are bulges in the case where oil passages could be drilled.

There are 3 different sumps offered but the difference is only finish, cast, polished, black.
Gen4 does not have a sump.

The Gen2 sump cover in the parts book appears to be solid without the scraper.
I was thinking of swapping to the Gen2 cover but it uses a different gasket so I doubt it will fit.
Looking at having one made solid, I could then include some threaded holes to attach a bash plate.
That would protect the attaching screws from being hit and sheared off, and a ramp on the leading edge so it will slide over stuff instead of getting caught on it.

I am wondering now if the sump gasket difference is material not shape? They both have 10 Screws.

MikeL

You could make your own gasket. Buy the gasket material from your local auto parts store. A good razor or an exact o knife helps to make a gasket.

MIKE

koko3052

I wouldn't be making a "bash plate" to attach to the engine. Your cases are aluminum & how long before you have issues with cracks. Make a skid plate to bolt to the frame.