April 19, 2024, 05:42:22 PM

News:

Battery For FXSTC

Started by Dogz, April 01, 2019, 11:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogz

I needing a new battery for my 99 FXSTC, 10.5:1, se57 cam, se heads. I have an Odyssey extreme PC680 (installed Mar 14). The PC680 is bigger than stock, so the strap doesn't fit right. Looking for suggestions on a battery that will be able to turn the motor over with no hassle and fit/replace the stock battery, so i can use the strap again. Also have a button on the starter.

motorhead_smf

You can go lithium with antigravity.  They are expensive though.  They come in stock or small.  And weigh practically nothing.  They are a slightly different animal but if the price scares you off I won't even get into it.

Burnout

Get a genuine HD AGM battery or a Deka, my last pick would be an Intersate.
You want something with a good dealer network for easy warranty replacement if you should have problems.

The other thing I highly recommend is a Battery Tender, so you will get full life from your battery (4-5 years).

Lithium batteries are cool but not without their issues, my issue with lithium batteries is they don't like to be charged as a pack you have to charge each cell separately and do not overcharge them as it all turns into heat. I have not seen any lithium batteries for bikes that can be properly charged, so within a short time one cell fails and the battery is junk.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Dogz

Thanks guys, I have a tender, have for years. I didn't have luck with a HD battery. Just didn't have the azz to crank her over time & time again. I'll look into the Deka.

david lee

my hd mech mentioned deka for my 80 fx

rageglide

Deka is same as HD's OEM.   I seem to recall Yuasa AGM may be a bit better per Max, can't recall the p/n off hand.

But realize ALL the traditional new batteries are garbage compared to the older versions of the same due to the lead recycling and low grade products that are used now.  HD OEMs easily made 5yrs 6+ yrs ago, but not now.  Tender or no.  I think 2-3 yrs is more the norm now.  Riding lots of miles is better than a tender anyday fwiw

If you use a proper 'tender' with an Odyssey you may have better luck than the OEMs.   But Odyssey is really picky when it comes to tender charging as most float at too low a voltage.

Mule

April 03, 2019, 04:54:14 AM #6 Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:08:43 PM by FSG
Odyssey had a run of bad batteries a while back. It has to do with their batteries used to be virgin lead, but all lead smelters here in this country have been regulated out of business. I use the scorpion batteries with good results, they have more cranking amps than HD/deka. Just installed one in my buddies bike Saturday it was rated as having 50 more CCA as the Deka!

https://tinyurl.com/y3bv5duk

92flhtcu

Yuasa GYZ is my go to for a "wet" battery, however on 4 HD's and one BMW I have been running Li-Ion for the last 4 years without issue. On the Li-Ion, you dont charge each cell individually, at least none of mine. I use the $39 Li-Ion maintainers on those

Interstate in my area is rebranding Yuasa GYZ for their premium HD batteries, so the quality of those is fine
Need a bigger garage

david lee

i was told yuasa batteries are not what they use to be like .quality wise

Rugby_fxdwg

I just purchased 2 Interstate batteries at $90 a piece for 310CCA. My 1996 WG and my 1989 FXRS both running at 10.5 compression. The batteries in them were at least pre 2014 AGM from Harley. Yes, I utilize a battery tender since I purchased them. Good Luck
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

92flhtcu

David-Lee, Deka is not what they once were, Yuasa GYZ Series are fine, unchanged since they came out
Need a bigger garage

Dogz

thanks for all the input. picked up a duracell ultra.