April 18, 2024, 09:27:00 PM

News:

'97 clatter

Started by Harpo, April 13, 2019, 10:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Hey all - need some advice.  '97 Road King, 80K, nothing too extreme - small Andrews cam, converted to carb, dual fire ignition - my "work bike".  Has a semi bad clatter from the front pushrod area - changed lifters 3 times (currently has S&S), installed rocker lockers, shortened pushrod tubes (they were hitting the adjustable pushrods a bit).  Do you think the oil pump is getting tired?  What are you guys' thoughts.  Thanks

Ohio HD

Changed lifters three times, and the stops, and the noise comes back? Or just trying out the lifters as a cause? Did you check the lifter fit in the lifter blocks? How long the cam been in there? Did you check the gear to gear mesh?

Burnout

April 13, 2019, 09:19:50 PM #2 Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:24:35 PM by Burnout
Does it have a lifter filter screen?

If so have you cleaned it?

Excessive rocker end play can be shimmed with shovelhead shims.

Sometimes the rocker shaft is loose in the rocker box and they will rattle. Look for Rocker Lockers.

What is your pushrod adjustment technique?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

Quote from: Burnout on April 13, 2019, 09:19:50 PM
Does it have a lifter filter screen?

If so have you cleaned it?

Excessive rocker end play can be shimmed with shovelhead shims.

Sometimes the rocker shaft is loose in the rocker box and they will rattle. Look for Rocker Lockers.

What is your pushrod adjustment technique?

Quick info, rocker lockers installed per op.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

harpwrench

I experienced clatter after installing an EV13, changing to something else fixed it. Looking back I wonder if the lifter blocks were worn.

Harpo

All - yes, I've cleaned the lifter screen (more than once) - there was nothing in it each time.  The Andrews EV13 has been in the bike for several years.  It's always had a very slight "tick" to it, but the last 2 seasons it seems to be getting worse, which is why I installed the rocker lockers, to no avail.  Harpwrench - maybe you're onto something - I'll check the lifter blocks themselves to see what the fit is.  Thanks all.

rigidthumper

When was the last time the inner can bearing was replaced?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

choseneasy

Exhaust leak or crack?

SixShooter14

Quote from: choseneasy on April 15, 2019, 02:37:02 PM
Exhaust leak or crack?
Might sound dumb, but also check the clamps on the header heat shields if you've got them....I noticed a loud rattle near my rear brake lever that turned out to be a loose shield clamp.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Harpo

Thanks all for the ideas - cam's been in bike for about 6 years - changed inner bearings when installed.  Exhaust leak or shield clamps are a possibility - I'm gonna hit myself in the head with a ballpeen if it's something that simple.

xlfan

Full complement B-138 cam bearing installed how?

Burnout

Does the bike have a windshield?

After I installed mine I thought my motor was coming apart!.
It blocked some of the brake caliper rattle and amplified every noise the motor makes!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

thumper 823

Did you mention the oil P. anywhere here?
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

MikeL

I have had this happen to me. 2000 RKC. It had a clatter at idle. Found out it was the front brake calipers were loose. Apply the brake and the clatter stopped.
I know evo's have very strong bottom ends. A bad crank pin and or thrust washer can cause a rattle. Also they had those tight engines around that time.

MIKE

96flhpi

If it's a tick that started when you put in the cam and it's the same tick just getting louder I'd check pinion to cam gear fit.  Chased that particular noise for quite a while.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: 96flhpi on June 06, 2019, 07:48:07 AM
If it's a tick that started when you put in the cam and it's the same tick just getting louder I'd check pinion to cam gear fit.  Chased that particular noise for quite a while.
A worn outer cam bushing will cause excessive gear lash, which can sound just like a clattering lifter.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

koko3052

With all that you have checked I would say that the rocker shafts were turning & making that noise. The only way to check is to remove the covers & take out the bolts that hold the supports down, the ones that are supposed to keep shafts from turning, and see if you have witness marks on them. If you do, what I do is drill & tap for 3/32" "grub screws", thru the support, from the opposite end & from the bottom. That is so if the screws ever became loose that they couldn't fall out & do damage. I use 2 shorter screws so the second one locks!
There is also the option of "rockouts", that have a member selling on this site.

Hillside Motorcycle

Solid or adjustable pushrods?
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"