April 19, 2024, 05:53:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

hot idle oil smoke

Started by 97flhtp, May 16, 2019, 06:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97flhtp

I have a fresh build 88" evo, New cases,cyls, cam, oil pump ect. Anyway it has about 100 miles on it and I am getting smoke at idle when hot, I thought it was a head gasket so I changed those out but no dice, I have 200 lbs compression hot, dry in both cylinders. Motor was broke in and heat cycled on a dyno. I also noticed a little oil spitting out around the rear exhaust flange. It hasn't run long enough to have the plugs tell me a story. So specifics are 3 5/8 bore ultima cases, andrews ev13 cam, mikuni carb, ported and polished heads ect... Any ideas before I just start over?

Ohio HD

At hot idle seeing smoke, I'd look at the valve seals and guide fit in the heads.

Burnout

Look in the exhaust port to see if oil is running down the valve stem?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

97flhtp

Thanks for the reply you guys. I pulled the exhaust and the port on the rear head was wet. So I looked further. Found the guide had slipped down out of the head.  :emoGroan:. So now the head is off and going back to the machine shop that just put a new valve in that head and said that the guides were good. It is getting harder to find good machine shops anymore. I would replace the heads but not ready to give up on these ported and polished HD heads with s&s size valves in them yet... bike made 90 hp on the dyno and would like to keep it there.

Ohio HD

Remember, the brown truck goes everywhere. I'd call Larry's Motorcycle and Machine, or Hillside Cycle and Machine. Both have worked on lots of Evo heads. Mr. Larry still rides them.

I have used heads from Larry, he does really good work.

thumper 823

Mistakes happen that's life, it is what a business does about it if they screw it up.
How did they install a guide so lose it moved? 
IDK . Again crap happens.
About 90 percent of the port performance work (that actually works) is within an inch or so of the valve face.
If you are looking for performance there is a 1000 little tricks that add up to the one big trick.
  You added a couple more inches, but a proper shaped guide (Ht and protrusion)   with the seat in the correct place, unshrouded,
Will make you smile.
If your current machine shop wants to put a big old wide seat in the middle of the valve and you asked for performance..
he is not doing not correct.
Life and engines are all a compromise,- you want a  high-performance engine?
or a touring engine.
They are not done the same of course  and will last accordingly
I would pick up the phone and call Hillside Harley.
Lots of people can brag, -show me the paperwork!.
If you don't understand dyno sheets have someone explain them to you.
Scots stuff is real, not hype.
Be brutally honest with yourself and him as to what you want .
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

97flhtp

I wanted a touring engine but the guy before me had done so much to mess up the motor that I am stuck trying to build on a budget. They didn't install the guide. They installed a new valve and checked the guide. Sorry if I misrepresented that.

Mule

A reputable machine shop said these guides were good, they had  seventy thousand on them. I had supplied new guides for them to install, when my buddy picked up the heads they gave him the guides back and said they didn't need them! Tore it back down and had another machine shop install new guides and over sized valves because of the hog out job the other shop did to the seats.  It had smoke at hot idle. It's fine now....

Thermodyne

What's the casting number on that head?

97flhtp

I'm not sure on the casting number as it is now at the machine shop.

david lee

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 16, 2019, 06:51:44 PM
At hot idle seeing smoke, I'd look at the valve seals and guide fit in the heads.
your right a mate just had the same problem

Ohio HD

Quote from: david lee on May 20, 2019, 01:58:54 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 16, 2019, 06:51:44 PM
your right a mate just had the same problem

I've seen one other cause, a Shovel I was working on, the heads had severe internal porosity. When the heads were at temperature, oil migrated into the combustion chamber from the oil return. We only found it when we put the heads in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. After a few minutes you saw oil come through to the combustion chamber from remnants of oil in the oil return area. First and only time I ever saw that happen.

Burnout

That would create a heck of a crankcase pressure problem?

Ohio HD

It seeped through the pores only minutely, just enough to cause some blue smoke at idle, and some oil consumption. Not really any pressure ever noticed in the crankcase or oil bag.

Burnout

I'd think that it would pass more air (and fuel) than oil...