April 28, 2024, 10:35:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

newbie more qustions

Started by Flyingbroke, February 15, 2018, 11:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherking

ATF. I was totaly thinking of Rotila diesel sorry for the brain fart guys .

F.K.

kd

:hyst: :hyst:  All that  :turd:  :oil:  debate fur nuthin.  :hyst: :hyst:
KD

harley_cruiser

February 23, 2018, 12:42:18 PM #52 Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:48:22 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers
Seals and o-rings are made from a dozen or more different polymers, you cannot group all seals in one group. Every polymer​ has a different resistant to different chemicals. You choose the seal, polymer for a specific use, and cost is a factor. Just because a seal in a transmission is tolerant to atf, that does not mean that the seals in your primary that was designed for  HD formula are.

kd

KD

harley_cruiser

Quote from: kd on February 23, 2018, 01:56:16 PM
:up:  that's my point too  :wink:
You don't think Harley would skimp on seals to save a few cents.
http://www.greatlakesrubber.com/basic_o.html

kd

KD

jsachs1

Most oils today are hi-detergent, not just ATF. You're not going to hurt any seals with the ATF.
Back in the 60's I've overhauled every type auto trans from cast iron 4 speed hydra-matics, 350, and 400 turbo-hydros, to cast iron Ford-a-matics, C4 and C6 , and 727 Chrysler Torqueflites. Never seen a seal problem due to the oils used. Some of the transmissions were so bad it looked like Fred Sanford owned them.  :wtf:
John

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: jsachs1 on February 23, 2018, 04:09:16 PM
Most oils today are hi-detergent, not just ATF. You're not going to hurt any seals with the ATF.
Back in the 60's I've overhauled every type auto trans from cast iron 4 speed hydra-matics, 350, and 400 turbo-hydros, to cast iron Ford-a-matics, C4 and C6 , and 727 Chrysler Torqueflites. Never seen a seal problem due to the oils used. Some of the transmissions were so bad it looked like Fred Sanford owned them.  :wtf:
John

And not as far back as when you were rebuilding those transmissions Honda and other Japanese makers recommended ATF in their forks.

Rockout Rocker Products

Lots of clutch/comp manufacturers recommend ATF with their products. I seem to recall Baker saying it was fine with their comp too.

Someone should let them know there are seals in there.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

harley_cruiser

February 23, 2018, 07:02:38 PM #59 Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:37:09 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on February 23, 2018, 06:37:37 PM
Lots of clutch/comp manufacturers recommend ATF with their products. I seem to recall Baker saying it was fine with their comp too.

Someone should let them know there are seals in there.
I would be interested in reading that, all I could find was from their 2007 compensating  kit
https://bakerdrivetrain.com/pages/product-instructions-library
That basicly says, BAKER recommends that Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil or HD Formula+ Transmission
and Chaincase Lubricant be used.

Rockout Rocker Products

N-gin

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on February 22, 2018, 09:11:57 PM
With the supposed destroying of rubber seals in auto transmissions by ATF it's interesting that some, like my Mini Cooper had the trans sealed for life, no way to even add any fluid without special tools.

Sorry, not buying it.

Every mini I worked on had a fill and drain. Hell they even had filters.. sealed for life, I don't think I'm buying that.

Still the fact remains weather or not the trans is sealed for life or whatever it still uses ATF like many cars out there..
What is really interesting is I have yet to replace a transmission seal using 10w30..HONDA
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: N-gin on February 24, 2018, 02:35:14 AM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on February 22, 2018, 09:11:57 PM
With the supposed destroying of rubber seals in auto transmissions by ATF it's interesting that some, like my Mini Cooper had the trans sealed for life, no way to even add any fluid without special tools.

Sorry, not buying it.

Every mini I worked on had a fill and drain. Hell they even had filters.. sealed for life, I don't think I'm buying that.

Still the fact remains weather or not the trans is sealed for life or whatever it still uses ATF like many cars out there..
What is really interesting is I have yet to replace a transmission seal using 10w30..HONDA

My '09 Mini Cooper S had no dipstick, no conventional way to check or add fluid. To do either you had to go through the drain plug with a special tool. There was no service interval.... ever.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2009_Mini_Cooper_Clubman_1.6L_4_Cyl./transmission_fluid/check_fluid_level

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on February 24, 2018, 06:26:26 AM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on February 23, 2018, 07:50:08 PM
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch/1050134-baker-compensator-ordered-2.html#post14098134

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch/1036995-atf-with-stock-clutch.html#post13871763

There's plenty more but I've already wasted 12 seconds.

Mark is on this forum, why don't you ask him?

Sure I'm curious.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=102912.0

And of course in your new thread you left out the link where he directly said ATF is fine with their new comp.

So to sum things up...

As far as you KNOW.... there is absolutely no problem with running ATF in a Harley primary.

Thanks for clearing that up.  :up:

Bye now.