Author Topic: Hot Kicking  (Read 518 times)

Offline Panshovl66

Hot Kicking
« on: August 21, 2018, 02:48:53 AM »
Everyone talks about starting the bike when it's cold but what about when it's warmed up? What's your kicking ritual when the engine is warm? I have an S&S E and when the engine is cold it starts up fine but I'm having problems getting her to fire up when she is warmed up. Do I retard the distributor or leave it alone, enrichener on or off, no gas or sum gas? This is on a 55 pan and any help you can give me will save my knee.

Offline Breeze

• Site Supporter
  • middle Georgia '68 Shovel,'92 Dyna, '07 E.Glide
Re: Hot Kicking
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:16:07 AM »
From what I have seen through the years, is every kick only bike has it's own starting preference, hot or cold. Some like a squirt of fuel, some don't. The only fairly consistent that I have found is most like one or two slow prime kicks with no ignition, then ign. & a good kick.  The most common problem I've seen is twisting the throttle while booting it. Many don't even realize they are twisting it.  I always try to err on "not getting enough" fuel before chancing  soaking the plugs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:20:45 AM by Breeze »
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Offline moose

• Site Supporter
  • Toms River New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 04:22:31 AM »
when hot I don't retard as much as when cold give it one prime kick then ign on and pray

disclosure   none of this will work if you are in any place that has a crowd     you will have to get them to push you so you could jump start it
Moose aka Glenn-

Online 58Tin

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:35:18 AM »
when hot I open the choke and open the throttle-retard timing-bring up to compression- turn on ignition and kick. Running a linkert now but when I ran a bendix i easily opened the throttle so the accelerator pump would not squirt fuel.

Offline Harpo

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
Hot starts on my '49 - retard spark as usual.  No choke.  Open throttle full.  Be ready to immediately close throttle (and advance spark) when starts.  Starts 1 kick every time.

Offline guppymech

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »
On my Shovel with a Super E I turn the fuel off about 30 seconds to a minute before I know I'm going to turn the engine off to lessen fuel percolating in the float bowl from engine heat.  On restart just barely crack throttle and kick.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Offline david lee

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
when hot I don't retard as much as when cold give it one prime kick then ign on and pray

disclosure   none of this will work if you are in any place that has a crowd     you will have to get them to push you so you could jump start it
seen that happen before .a crowd counting every kick.i think it was 9 before push time