April 28, 2024, 12:16:28 AM

News:

analog oil temp dipstick

Started by Rob L, March 19, 2019, 08:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

does anyone know of a company that makes an ANALOG oil temp dipstick for the newer bikes? I see the digital ones but id much rather have an analog gauge instead. i know they have them for the older bikes but im hoping i can get one for the newer bikes

Rusticwater

Support the Maine lobster industry

No Cents

Quote from: Rusticwater on March 19, 2019, 12:33:19 PM
jescustomaccents.com

:up:
I have been running both the engine oil and the tranny fluid gauges for years.
[attach=0]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

cheech

Quote from: No Cents on March 19, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
jescustomaccents.com

Does the dipstick portion swivel like the stock one? Assuming not.

Norton Commando

Quote from: cheech on March 19, 2019, 03:28:39 PM
Quote from: No Cents on March 19, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
jescustomaccents.com

Does the dipstick portion swivel like the stock one? Assuming not.

I'm curious about that aspect of the dipstick as well.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

No Cents

no...it does not swivel like a stock dipstick does.

Norton Commando

Quote from: No Cents on March 19, 2019, 04:26:23 PM
no...it does not swivel like a stock dipstick does.

Thank you for that. So, can it be used to monitor the oil level?

Best,

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Rob L

Rob L

I just ordered one. Looks like a great product. We'll see when I get it

mrmike

I've had one for several years with no issues. :up:

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

GaryD

jescustomaccents.com

I have one and a trans dipstick w/USMC logo. Don't need trans temp  gauge.
I keep the engine OEM unit and switch it when I bring the TG to the dealer for service - service techs screw it up since they don't know how to remove it correctly.

Measures temp and level
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

No Cents

I learned the hard way and left my Jes oil dip stick in when the bike went to the dyno tuner one time to be tuned. I should of put the stock dip stick back in. The vibration from all the hard full throttle pulls vibrated the needle off the gauge.  :doh:  Lesson learned. I replace the Jes gauge with a new insert and I didn't have to buy the complete gauge assembly over again.
   I also marked the Jes dip stick by transferring the lines across from the stock dip stick over to the Jes. I marked it with a sharpie at different oil level amounts. I then took the edge of a small file and went around the Jes dip stick and made a groove around it for the different oil levels. I now have accurate oil reading levels on the Jes dip stick.

Paniolo

Couple of questions, please.

Is it a direct replacement, or does it need a rubber adapter? Some photos show an adapter and I wonder if heat will effect that.

Air vs oil filled. Is one better than the other?

Thanks.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

No Cents

March 21, 2019, 08:36:08 AM #13 Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:45:40 AM by No Cents
   the Jes gauge is direct replacement for the factory dip stick. Mine are air filled. The Jes dipstick comes with a base that screws into the dip stick hole, and the Jes dip stick goes into it's base. The Jes dip stick has two O-rings on it and a protruding arm that aligns with a slot in the Jes base. You can't see the slot in the picture I just took. On the side of the base there is a dot below the slot (which I painted white) and there is a dot on side of the knurled end on the dip stick (which I also painted white). You have to have the two dots aligned to be able to remove or insert the dip stick. I just painted the dots white to help out my blind ass.   :hyst:
   You can pull up on the dip stick until your blue in the face and it's not coming out unless you have the two dots aligned.
   If you look closely at the dip stick you can see the oil level marks I added to it.

[attach=0,msg1288294]

GaryD

Quote from: No Cents on March 21, 2019, 08:36:08 AM
On the side of the base there is a dot below the slot (which I painted white) and there is a dot on side of the knurled end on the dip stick (which I also painted white). You have to have the two dots aligned to be able to remove or insert the dip stick. I just painted the dots white to help out my blind ass.   :hyst:

[attach=0,msg1288294]

That's what I did too.
The trans dipstick didn't transfer correctly from my old TG to the new TG. Now the USMC logo is upside down. I tried to remove the insert and reposition it but couldn't. That proves that all engines are NOT the same.  :)
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

Rob L

The temp dipstick I ordered from JES custom accent came in today. It was easy to install and looks good. Their customer service is fantastic. I originally ordered the wrong one so I emailed them and they took care of it and got the right one out to me that day. I wasn't able to go far but it was enough to warm it up and the gauge appears to be working fine. This is a decent product with great customer service. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Paniolo

Quote from: Rob L on March 23, 2019, 09:54:28 PM
The temp dipstick I ordered from JES custom accent came in today. It was easy to install and looks good. Their customer service is fantastic. I originally ordered the wrong one so I emailed them and they took care of it and got the right one out to me that day. I wasn't able to go far but it was enough to warm it up and the gauge appears to be working fine. This is a decent product with great customer service. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Did you get air or oil filled, and why?

Thanks
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Rob L

Quote from: Paniolo on March 24, 2019, 07:49:30 AM
Quote from: Rob L on March 23, 2019, 09:54:28 PM

Did you get air or oil filled, and why?

Thanks
I bought the air filled gauge because its a few bucks cheaper than the oil filled gauge but mainly because the I read some reviews and people were saying that they had the oil leak out of the gauge. they also did say that the company took care of them but I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of a leaking gauge. in the reviews I read people did say that there was a slight fogging issue with the air filled gauge but it would clear up in a short amount of time after the bike was started. I figured that was the lesser of the two evils as theres no need to worry about temps right after the engine is started. I don't really check it until im riding for awhile or after I stop riding anyway.

No Cents

my bike sits in an unheated metal pole barn with a concrete floor. It gets pretty cold in the winter here in Ohio. Sometimes it will dip below freezing for weeks on end. I have never seen or had my Jes gauges fog up...but my factory gauges in the fairing will fog up.

rbabos

By the time you have an air bubble large enough to take care of expansion from heat, you might just as well have an air filled. That cracks me up. As if it's a special process for air filled. :hyst:
Ron

les

After reading this posting, I bought one of the Jes black face fluid filled gauges.  Very nice unit.  Interesting to see what my oil temps are for the very first time.

I hope you guys feel bad and guilty for making me spend more money on my stupid Harley.  All your fault, I accept no responsibility. 

Rob L

Quote from: les on April 01, 2019, 08:28:02 AM
After reading this posting, I bought one of the Jes black face fluid filled gauges.  Very nice unit.  Interesting to see what my oil temps are for the very first time.

I hope you guys feel bad and guilty for making me spend more money on my stupid Harley.  All your fault, I accept no responsibility.
no guilt here as I've been the victim of this on multiple occasions myself lol. They are a nice gauge. Be advised, these twin cams will run up to 230ish degrees so dont be alarmed

les

Quote from: Rob L on April 02, 2019, 10:43:51 PM
Quote from: les on April 01, 2019, 08:28:02 AM

no guilt here as I've been the victim of this on multiple occasions myself lol. They are a nice gauge. Be advised, these twin cams will run up to 230ish degrees so dont be alarmed

I was wondering what temps to expect.  Thanks.  I rode it a bit a few days ago (air temp in the high 40's) and it got to 200.  So, 230 in the summer weather sounds about right.

No Cents

a lot of factors go into what oil temperatures are seen.
For example: the state of the engines being, compression, how well the bike is tuned, and if your running an oil cooler or some sort of cooling fans. Things like outside temperature, humidity, and other things will contribute to what oil temperatures you see. In the dead heat of the summer I can see temp's on my bike run right in the 210* range and that is with a 124" engine that is set at a touch over 11.00:1 compression. If I see it try to climb any higher than that I flip the fans on and it will hold it right at the 210* mark.

les

Quote from: No Cents on April 03, 2019, 05:18:56 PM
    a lot of factors go into what oil temperatures are seen.
For example: the state of the engines being, compression, how well the bike is tuned, and if your running an oil cooler or some sort of cooling fans. Things like outside temperature, humidity, and other things will contribute to what oil temperatures you see. In the dead heat of the summer I can see temp's on my bike run right in the 210* range and that is with a 124" engine that is set at a touch over 11.00:1 compression. If I see it try to climb any higher than that I flip the fans on and it will hold it right at the 210* mark.

I've got a 124" and the Love Jugs fans and oil cooler.  I'll have to play with the fans and see how it affect temps too.