April 19, 2024, 05:52:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

47 knuck info needed

Started by Geezer_Glider, June 30, 2009, 06:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer_Glider

Don't normally post in this area but have a chance to look at a 47 knuck that is somewhat complete. He claims good engine with matching cases in a pieced together chassis with clear title. Also complete second engine with matching cases and clear title. Many other parts including two complete HD springer front ends. It was a project that has sat for many years and he just wants to get something for it.
Please any pointers for a poor Twinkie rider. Have read up a bit on older HD's but never thought a knuck would be a possibility! Both engines are 1947's. Don't know yet on condition, should see them this week.
Thanks,
R Meyer

iiggii

Geezer_Glider

He talked about 15,000 for everything. I'll see what all the stuff looks like and how firm he is on price. Do late model knucks have belly numbers like pans? Have read that front motor mount ears on cases can be a problem.
Thanks,
R Meyer

iiggii

Yes Knuckles have belly numbers ,

Geezer_Glider

Thanks, got to see the basket case today, but not the complete bike. Stuff is rough. Cases look unmolested with matching belly numbers but have a small chunk missing in the bridge area between the cylinders on one case half. This stuff has sat in a garage for many years. Tranny would look OK if they had kept it buttoned up, now has rust on some gears. Flywheels are apart and sat out to rust! Frame doesn't look too bad. Didn't see jugs and heads as they were buried under a bunch of "stuff". Told him we could dig everything out after I saw the other bike. Too bad people don't at least try to preserve things to retain value. Also big thing is both engines and parts are 1946 not 1947. Saw dash parts and one tank half with shifter gate to confirm this as well as the owner saying it. Again thanks for any advice or pointers.
R Meyer

Speeding Big Twin

I’ve posted a photo of most of a 1946 Knucklehead serial number so you can compare it with the two you’re looking at. Notice the style of open top 4 and the straight back 6. Apart from the EL designation shown, other possibilities are E, F, or FL. The E and EL models are 61ci and the F and FL models are 74ci.

You mentioned the cases you saw had matching belly numbers. Did they start with 46 or 45? The format would usually be similar to 46â€"1234(5). But the first two characters may be different styles to the first two characters in the serial number.     Eric   

Geezer_Glider

Numbers on cases on top ID pad on both engines look good. The basket case is a 46FL and the belly numbers are 46-1XXX and matching. The top numbers on the "complete" bike are 46EL, didn't see the belly numbers today when i saw the bike. Have to talk to the owner next week. Why, why, why people let this stuff just rust away? This bike sat ~20 yrs. without any attempt to preserve it at all. Engine was rebuilt and never ran. Paper towel in spark plug holes, no primary on it so shafts rusted, oil tank open and empty, etc. I just don't think it's all worth 15K. Everything would have to be torn down in the motor and who knows if the anything can be used. I kinda look at it as buying one set of slightly damaged cases and one unknown set  of cases, both with clear titles and a pile of possibly usable parts. Cosmetically the "complete" bike is at the stage of an old barn find and the basket parts were doorstops in the barn.
Thanks for the help, don't know what to do now, maybe make a low offer, it'll take a lot of work and starting from scratch to make it all usable.
Thanks,
R Meyer

drs23

So many roads...So little time...

hd76fxlr

HEY, SEND US SOME PICTURES OF WHAT YOU GOT. WE LOVE TO SEE OLD BARN FIENDS.

Geezer_Glider

No deal. Made him a low offer which he refused and didn't counter. He doesn't have to sell but maybe he will find someone to pay his price or get back to me in the future. How would you handle heavily rusted inserts for the mains? Bore,sleeve and then press in the bearing? Sorry no pics.
R Meyer

Ultrashovel

That's an awful lot of money. Once you would get all of that stuff home, the real spending would start. Even if you had a complete bike, it could cost a lot of money to restore it. This is considering the cost of plating (Cadmium, Chrome, etc.) , Parkerizing, rust removal and paint.

The only complete vintage Harley near me is a 1942 WLC (Canadian). It's all there and could use a mild restoration. The owner wants $30K for it so it's a non-starter for me. (Some background: When I was a kid in Chicago, you could buy 42WLA's (U.S. Army) on most every street corner for $100. I once bought a complete basket case for $25 bucks with a title and all mathing numbers.)

Prices for good ones, 45's, 61's, 74's,  are really out of this world now. It's a classic case of supply and demand.