April 30, 2024, 10:50:41 AM

News:

CV Carb on a Panhead Motor ???

Started by JamLazyAss, November 26, 2008, 02:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

I've been reading that the CV Carb's are pretty much the cats ass on a Panhead motor.
I looked at a couple on eBay today.
The intake side on the carb is round. How do you mount this to a Panhead manifold?
Is there an adaptor?
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

CraigArizona85248

Yes, there are a couple different types of adapters.  Both adapters are setup to mount the carb on a S&S style two-bolt intake manifold.  I have not seen an adapter to mount the carb on a OEM Linkert intake.

As I mentioned there are two types of adapters.  One is a press on fit, the other is a rubber adapter that the CV carb slides into.  I've used both and prefer the press on type.  They have less tendency to leak around the carb throat.  Also, the press on adapter gives stronger support to the carb.  Either way, you will need a support braket connected to the air cleaner backing plate to properly support the weight of the carb.

Another item of note... the S&S intake manifold has a tendancy to put the carb way to the outside.  I had my intake shortened in order to pull the carb in nice and tight against the motor.  I also had the manifold offset to move the carb back about 1/8" towards the rear of the bike.  I did this to make room for the throttle cable linkage.

Here is my shortened and offset S&S intake manifold:

Closeup of the carb, you can see why I had to offset to the rear slightly.  It's a tight fit.

Closeup of the linkage.  It barely clears the head on the front cylinder.  The linkage is modified slightly to make more room.

Here is the carb mounted on the motor after shortening the intake.  Pulled in nice and tight.

Here you can see the support bracket the runs from the back of the air cleaner to the top motor case bolt.  This support is critical to keeping your carb and intake securely in place.

Phu Cat

Craig, Sure looks like a snug fit.  You do NICE work.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

CraigArizona85248

Thanks PC.  I think I would drive some people crazy because I'm so picky about getting things just the way I like them.  But that's what makes this hobby so much fun for me.

-Craig

randallwhitman

jamlazyass.......the shovel guys all rave about them.  Same combustion chamber....ought to be great.    Randy    :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

JamLazyAss

I don't have a CV, but I do have a S&S E.

Which is better for a Pan and why???
-------------------------------------------------------------
PS:
Craig that's a sweet scooter. I've seen it a couple of times before and liked it right off...

CraigArizona85248

JLA,

You're probably going to get a lot of opinions about which carb it better.  I'll start off by saying I think they are both very good carbs.  I've really taken a liking to the CV carbs though.  Here are my reasons:

• The CV40 is cheap and easy to get on eBay or any other number of sources.  I've never paid more then $50 for a CV.
  • The CV40 is really easy to tune.  But then I'm used to tuning this carb.  A S&S E expert can probably say the same thing about tuning a Super E.
  • Very easy starting.  The CV by the nature of it's design (the slide) will give you just the right amount of air even when kickstarting the bike.  By far the easiest carb I've ever kickstarted.
  • Parts availability is very good.  You can get jets from your H-D dealer or your local Kaw dealer (they also use the CV40)
  • Never need to adjust jetting for altitude changes.  A CV carb (any brand) automatically adjusts for air density changes.

JamLazyAss

Craig,

If I understand what you're saying, I'm better off selling my "E" and buy a CV.
Then put the leftover $$$ on something else???

egstandard

I'd go with the cv for the reasons Craig stated. If you get one on ebay. make sure it has the accelerator pump. Try to find an unmolested one . They usually get bid up to $100

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: JamLazyAss on November 28, 2008, 03:01:13 PM
Craig,

If I understand what you're saying, I'm better off selling my "E" and buy a CV.
Then put the leftover $$$ on something else???

Hmmm... since you already have a Super E in hand, that makes the dicision a little tougher.  As I mentioned, both are very good carbs.  I guess if I was going for the lowest cost method and already had the Super E carb, I might hold onto that.  But if I was starting from scratch or if I wasn't driven by making this the low cost solution, I'd go the CV route.

As egstandard mentioned, the carbs can get bid up on eBay.  I don't play that game.  When I find a carb I want I put my max bid on it (never more then $50) and check back after the auction ends.  Sure, a lot of carbs get bid up over that point but eventually I'll get what I need at a price I'm willing to pay.  Last time I bought a CV40 (about a year ago) it took bidding on half a dozen carbs and about 2 weeks until I got a carb for my price.  But I was in no hurry so no big deal.

-Craig

76shuvlinoff

Can't speak to a pan but I recently switched from an E to a CV on my 93" shovel.  Better manners all across the board so far and I really have not tinkered with it too much. From what I've read that's the secret, avoid the excess tinkering.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

egstandard

Heres a good one for ya. ebay item #260326343725. He has another one also for a higher price.

shovelmonster76

Thanks guys. I have been waiting for this post. I was wandering what to put on my new shovel. I have a super E on my old shovel but it also is electric start. I wanted to go the easiest, least expensive route and this one will be a kicker.  :up: :up: :up:
Watch out for those Alligators

JamLazyAss

Hey CRAIG,
Not trying to change the subject.....
But I just noticed your ignition switch location.
Did you make or buy the mount?
I might use that for my Pan.   :up: :up: :up:

CraigArizona85248

That one is purchased.  It would be super easy to make though.  In my case I wanted a chrome finish so buying was the way to go.  If I was going to paint or powdercoat, I'd fab it myself (just cause I think home fabbed parts are cool).

-Craig