April 15, 2024, 11:11:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: 1993 FXLR TRANSMISSION LEAK HELP

Started by ClassicRider2002, December 01, 2008, 12:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

December 01, 2008, 12:25:59 PM Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:40:30 PM by ClassicRider2002
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  1993 FXLR TRANSMISSION LEAK HELP  08-27-07

From: olstoney2 [Buddy WMC] (Original Message) Sent: 8/27/2007 3:59 AM  Message 1 of 5 in Discussion
Noticed an oil leak on the floor about the size of a quarter after about a 50 mile ride on Saturday on my 93 FXLR. I know it's the tranny due to the color of the gear oil and the leak is on the inner side somewhere around the pully. My best guess is that either the pully loosened up or the mainshaft seal and/or shifter shaft seal went south.

I know that the whole left side needs to be removed to reseal everything. I need to have the parts on hand and have a new HD inner primary to install. My question is what else would you guys recommend I replace beside the gaskets/seals and would you use HD parts or aftermarket? I have read somewhere that double lip seals are better. Thanks....

UPDATE:  04-29-2012

Yes, Actually A Double Lip Seal Is Better For The Shifter Shaft Seal That Was Mentioned Above As Leaking:

SKF 4260      Double Lip Seal  Shifter Shaft Seal     
472810         Federal Mogul Double Lip Seal 
                    Timken has purchased Federal Mogul so the Federal Mogul Seal Is Now Packaged Under Timken
Listed above are two very good options for Double Lip Seals which replace the OEM HD single lip seal, which always have a propensity to fail.
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

December 01, 2008, 12:30:02 PM #1 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:59:50 PM by ClassicRider2002
From: 84fxr89flht Sent: 8/27/2007 7:44 AM   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion
I used the Tranny pully "kit" from the dealer, came with new lock nut and washer for the tranny pully. You'll need a deep big socket to get the nut off of the tranny.  Jims, and georges garage offer one, alot of people make there own with a socket, pipe and a little welding.  I'd also reccomend to replace the quad seal and  the tranny main seal and the shifter shaft seal if needed. HD parts have worked great for me, no leaks, etc. as far as the seals go.

UPDATE 04-29-12:

The deep well big socket that 84fxr89flht mentions above is actually this:
HD Part#:94137-09       Mainshaft Sprocket Socket 1 7/8"  Retails For $149.95

From: HD_Wrench Sent: 8/27/2007 10:24 AM   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion
I have had less problems using HD parts and would suggest thats what you use Stay away from those cheap deals on Ebay.
Rick

From: olstoney2 [Buddy WMC] Sent: 9/5/2007 1:58 PM   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion
O.K. Guys need some extra advice. I have all the gaskets and seals to reseal the entire tranny. I also purchased a new pulley kit from BDL that should be here on Friday. I do have the Harley manual for the bike, but none of the special tools listed. I have worked on shovel's before and the pricipal's should be the same. I have no experience with the 5 speed and belt drive though, this is my first.  I have time on my hands, but not any extra finances. Can I do this job myself with regular hand tools? I should have the proper size sockets to remove the comp and clutch hub nuts.

From: Rio-Dude Sent: 9/5/2007 7:53 PM   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion
Your ride should be similar to my Dyna. Here is the helpful advice I got before I decided to do mine:

SIMPLY PLACE YOUR CURSOR OVER THE "http: link / address" BELOW, CLICK, VIEW, & READ:
TOPIC:  EVO PRIMARY TRANNY SHAFT SEAL REPLACEMENT  09-21-06
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=2260.0

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2