March 28, 2024, 01:12:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCES, TELL YOUR STORY HERE

Started by ClassicRider2002, December 04, 2008, 12:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

December 04, 2008, 12:15:25 PM Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:27:40 PM by ClassicRider2002
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC: FXR Ownership Experiences, TELL YOUR STORY HERE 02-25-05

From: ClassicRider2002  (Original Message) Sent: 2/2/2005 6:44 PM  Message 1 of 24 in Discussion
Hi everyone when I first posted this "THREAD" this was one of the first "THREADS" for me over here in the Evo side....as I currently owned at the time two twin cams.

Initially the purpose of this "THREAD" was to hear from Owners of either 1991-1994 FXLR's or a 1999 FXR3 green or blue as I was searching to purchase an FXR.  As it turns out I purchased a 1999 FXR2 "Arresting Red" in May of 2005. 

I am "NOW" hopeful what will result from this "THREAD" is a better understanding of FXR's for those who may be also interested in learning about them and that all of us as FXR Owners would post pictures as well as sharing "our" individual STORIES of owning "our" FXR's. 

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

December 04, 2008, 01:18:25 PM #1 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:40:35 PM by ClassicRider2002
From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 2/2/2005 10:15 PM   Message 2 of 24 in Discussion
I don't own an FXLR, but I have known three people who have owned (and one guy still has) the black with gold pin stripe.  It's definitely a nice bike.  Smooth running, light, little drag bar feels good - though the stock seat isn't padded all that well.  21 laced wheel in the front and disc wheel in the rear.  Specifically, the FXR was a really nice frame and could be loaded down with passenger and bags without complaining, and it could handle a decent amount of engine power.  About the only crappy thing was that the mid controls on the primary side came through the inspection cover and it wasn't uncommon to have a dribbling leak from the shifter shaft.  John S,  

From: furrdogg1 Sent: 2/2/2005 11:32 PM   Message 3 of 24 in Discussion
My '87 fxlr evo belt drive that I picked up about 4 years ago was my first harley.Been very pleased with it.  It's my secondary bike now(got a '95 fxstc last year) only because she's got about 60k on the odometer.  Really clean looking bike up front with the 21" spoke wheel and the Willie G. special handlebars('87 was the only year for these bars).Put new lifters,push rods,ev27 cam,mikuni carb,and made some straight fishtail exhaust for it. Very fast and reliable bike.Wish i had some pics to send to ya.If you can get one for a reasonable price,I say go for it.I paid 9,500 for mine back in '01 with 30k on the clock. 

From: guenther  Sent: 2/3/2005 8:13 AM   Message 4 of 24 in Discussion
I had a 93 FXLR, Black and gold.  Solid rear wheel, 21 laced front.  Only mod was a Corbin seat and pipes and a CV carb re-build.  Simply stated...the best f'n bike I had ever owned.  You can take a dyna and stick it up Willy G's fat ass.  FXR3...way too much money.

From: Fringedeweller1 Sent: 2/3/2005 8:57 AM   Message 5 of 24 in Discussion
mornin
well i've owned 2 fxr's one was a 92 lr convertable but it did have a center consol witha gas gage in it , there was a bunch of fxr models in those yrs the only one i can think of that didn't have anything  on the tank was a fxrc which is a custom fxr and it had a speed-o mounted up on the bars and nothing on the tank . as far as the cvo's  they r pricy for sure . the fxr is the best handling scooter hd ever made, it's something about the frame from what i've been told and have read.  they r some real good techs in here that could tell u more than i can, i now have a 91 and i will not part with it ...ever  lol  U should be able to find one for a good price especiallly if they don't know what they got.   :wink:  of coarse this jmho   good luck  fringe

From: TarheelFXR Sent: 2/3/2005 10:04 AM   Message 6 of 24 in Discussion
Classic,
I have a FXR3 and it is a great bike.  It has 19" 100/90 front tire which I just like more than 21" tires.  I also have '82 shovel FXR (which is also a 19" front rim).  I think that the lowriders had the tank mounted guages on a 4.2 gal.tank (like the FXR3) and the FXR and FXRS models had the bar mounted guages and a 3.9 gal. tank.  Tha FXR3 has Fox shocks that I don't think are real special-other than adjustable w/o tools.  The nice thing about the FXR3 is that it is one of the last of the evos, it incorporates all the updates.  I don't think that you can go wrong with an FXR.  I'll post a couple of pictures after work for you.   T

From: willyshd Sent: 2/3/2005 10:30 AM   Message 7 of 24 in Discussion 
Its not mine but belongs to friend of mine. It's a 1986 (or 85 ?) FXRC it is a limited production model. (a numbered bike) I have ridden it many times, and it is the best handling bike Harley has ever made IMO When they came out a lot of people didn't like the style, said that it was to Jap looking but I don't think so. It is also very smooth as it is a rubber mount. This bike has many different motors, right now it has a 139 HP 127 Cu In motor and has ran 10.70 @126 MPH and it is still as smooth as silk to ride.
Roger

From: dte8dom Sent: 2/3/2005 10:42 AM   Message 8 of 24 in Discussion 
I got one of those 1985 FXRC numbered bikes. Low mileage with sum cool updates. The only problem is getting stuff for it, mainly because of the age and I also don't want to put something on that would mess up its clean smooth looks. Other bikes have come and gone but I can honestly say I will never part with this one!

From: stev36mc Sent: 2/4/2005 12:52 AM  Message 9 of 24 in Discussion
I run a '92 FXLR, best bike Harley ever built. Mine is being rebuilt at the moment with wide drag bars, lower LePera seat, wheels changed to 18" front and 17x200 tyre rear 8.5 rear fender and wider swingarm. This is how the bike looked when I first bought it 2 years ago disc rear wheel and 16" front with 5 deg. trees. I modified the CV (a must) And a SE 6500 rpm module, and she runs a dream now. Good luck!! Steve. ( will post new pics. when mods. are done.)

From: vallay Sent: 2/5/2005 6:08 AM   Message 10 of 24 in Discussion
87 FX(L)R all original (nothing on the tank), except lePera, Oehlins shocks, progressive fork springs (still 35m/m), PM brakes. It runs a dream on every road.

From: ClassicRider2002  Sent: 2/5/2005 12:03 PM   Message 11 of 24 in Discussion
Tarheel thank you so much for posting your beautiful FXR3 it's a beautiful ride....I would love to hear more about why you purchased it to begin with? ....why you will keep it or if you would sell it why would you (I am not asking you if you are interested in selling but merely curious about your thoughts)? Why do you personally like the 19" over the 21" spokes? ? ?  You also spoke about the shocks as well....would you ever put progressive 440's on it and simply keep the others to have the original parts?? thanks for offering if I need other information as well...you know what I am after is a bit of what your journey has been with the bike....we often come here so much for tech input hence forth the name....but perhaps also a bit of the emotional side of this bike would be fun to learn about? ? ? ?  Have you decided to change out the tensioners to gear cams? That shovel looks awesome as well.....
                               =========
It seems to me that perhaps when the FXR's came out in 1982 and carried forth until 1994 until the CVO program in 1999 that the "public" wasn't too sure about accepting and receiving the bike for what it is....am I right or wrong about this....I am merely trying to understand....It also seems to be all FXR owners are very passionate about these particular bikes? ? ?  IS this correct and if so why? ? I really have an interest in the FXR "family" and hope to gather more input from you all about this....

Other questions are....when they brought out the FXR2 they brought it out with the slotted Chrome rear wheel and the 21" spoked wheel in front....with the FXR3's they of course brought out the chrome thunderstars for both front and rear....but why did Harley make the change from the Slotted Chrome Solid Wheel to the Chromed Fatboy Solid Wheel which essentially has what looks like the circular "rivit" holes instead of the "slotted" appearance? ? ? ? While also going to the 19" front spoke wheel size vs the 21" spoke wheel size? ? ? ?  Which wheels do you all like best and why?  What about handling?

vallay~~~
Great looking FXLR and it's great looking as well....How did you come about selecting this year and why???

From: Billem Sent: 2/5/2005 3:25 PM   Message 12 of 24 in Discussion
I've owned this '94 FXLR since I bought it new Sept 93.  100,000 miles.   Daily driver.  Have really enjoyed the bike.  As close to a "one-size fits all" as you can get.  Does everything well.  Only regret is that I didn't get the Mustang seat earlier.  The scoot started life black/with gold stripe.  Got an urge to change about 6 mo. ago and had a friend who is in the classic-car building business do the base coat and a local bike painter named Jimmy Lambert do the flames: tank, both fenders.   I wanted something sorta laid back and am real pleased with how it turned out.  Bill

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 2/5/2005 4:05 PM  Message 13 of 24 in Discussion
Billem...
So why did you buy your FXLR to begin with? ? ? ? ?   Is this your only ride? ? ? ? ? Have you taken any long trips with it? ? ? ? Where to...? ? ?  Experiences? ? ? ? 
What kind of rear wheel do you have on this? ? ? ? 

Regards,

"Classic"

From: Billem Sent: 2/5/2005 5:07 PM    Message 14 of 24 in Discussion
I really didn't want a bagger, (Got this in my younger days - I was only 52) and my kid brother was waiting for his to come in when I decided to get the Harley.  He sorta talked me into getting it.  (Thanks, bro).  I was planning on a softtail but the local HD (pre-boutique) told me it would be 6 mo. before they'd have one in.  I asked them about a black FXLR and they told me they had a red one coming in a couple of months.  Talked it over with my bro and he convinced me to go ahead and order it.  Went by the dealer the next day and told them I'd  take the red one,  the salesman asked me: "Then you don't want the black one I have coming in next week?"  $12,250 and 1 week later it was mine.  (Sorry about the long story.  I've been told I never use a word when 10 will do!!)

Yes,  have ridden a few long trips (and long days).   Several 850 mile days.  Oshkosh (airshow), on to Sturgis, and back to Charleston SC trip in '02.  Several BR Pkway trips,  Washington DC ride to the wall, and many runs to Jax and Daytona.  Stock rear wheel with chrome skins thru the HD dealer.    Front wheel 40 stainless spokes. 
Feel like I'm writing a book, but I do like the bike.  Bill

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 2/5/2005 5:22 PM  Message 15 of 24 in Discussion
Billem...
I for one appreciated everything you shared....what you shared and the detail is what I am actually hoping for through this post.....I loved the story about how you purchased it and even sharing how much you paid for it!!!!!  That's a great story.....you know there are so many stories about what happens when you order a bike whether you will actually get it or not....what I mean is that one just never knows until you have one.....Excellent story....anything else you want to add please do....I know others will enjoy reading from someone who has kept their bike since new and has as many miles as you do......CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

"Classic"

From: vallay Sent: 2/5/2005 6:07 PM   Message 16 of 24 in Discussion
hi Classic,
why this FXLR? I'm livin' close to the mountains with a lot of wonderful curvey roads and don't like scratching every second turn. Ergo no RK, Fats or lowered scoots. No extra weight and you fly through this roads feeling great. When I first bought it, there was no way to ride. Fork springs, front brakes, stock seat, stock shocks were life-threatening and cut down every good feelin. Having made them up, it's great. I rode many others but feel real good with the FXLR, yes, I definitely like it. The Oehlins shocks (...too expensive) and the progressive fork springs (+gold valve) together with the real good FXR frame make it a great ride on every road with perfect handling. And consumtion is lower than any other bike I had.  vallay

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 2/5/2005 6:27 PM    Message 17 of 24 in Discussion
vallay~~~
The Oehlins shocks (...too expensive) and the progressive fork springs (+gold valve) together with the real good FXR frame make it a great ride on every road with perfect handling.

Are you referring to the Race Tech "emulator gold valves" or something else??? and help me with the understanding of the "Oehlins" what are you meaning? ? ? ? ?
Thank you for your continued responses.....!!!!!

Regards,

"Classic"

From: vallay Sent: 2/5/2005 7:03 PM   Message 18 of 24 in Discussion
Classic,
exactly, the racetech gold valves, together with springs from progressive suspension, improves totally. The OEHLINS rear shocks (got them from Iron eagle) are said among the best, and they are, but you need the set-up done by a authorised OEHLINS dealer who sets it exactly the way you want it; they last for ever, but are way too pricey...
make the right choice.... vallay

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 2/6/2005 10:22 AM  Message 19 of 24 in Discussion
vallay~~
In discussing the RaceTec Emulators, I have found it to be informative that you are actually using them....I am familar with the product....I wonder if you could speak about what you feel is the advantage that you find having them vs going stock? 

Regards,

"Classic"

From: vallay Sent: 2/7/2005 3:00 AM   Message 20 of 24 in Discussion
Classic~~
Fact is: the 35m/m fork on these 87 scoots is weak. When I bought the bike it bottomed at every little bump. No way to improve much by altering fork oil viscosity or oil level. Change of front end was the expensive option. The pic of the gold valve shows how the front damping works. The springs of a 35m/m fork a very tiny (ca. 27m/m) compared to the rear shocks it appears nothing solid. The damping itself is simply effected by compression holes of a certain diam. (ca. 5 m/m) in the damping rod, through which the oil is pressed. That compression (resistance) is always equal. With the gold valve compression it's no more given by those holes, but by the regulating valve (that's why you have to drill the existing wholes and add two more. If pressure on the fork from a small bump comes, the valve just opens slightly, damping is smooth and handling stable. A heavy shock makes the valve open wide and is able to absorbe (damp!) without bottoming out or hitting your arms. That's what improves the ride greatly. Viscosity and oli level still matter and help tune to your favour. (valve itself also is tuneable) But you still have the springs that are weak. So you absolutely need progressive springs that make it more stable without bottoming. That's one way to make even a 35m/m fork acceptable and grant a good ride for little money. I have it on my FXLR 87 and it's great.

From: Fringedeweller1 Sent: 2/7/2005 4:47 AM   Message 21 of 24 in Discussion
mornin...
vallay~~
glad ya put ur experience with the race-tech emulators up her

i' ve got a 91 fxr and i put in the progressive springs and always used the SE racing fork oil in my frt ends and i put a fork brace on also which made a big difference ,  was always wonderin how the emulators would work . never really ran into anyone that used them i now will be lookin into putting them in soon . already have the progressive's on the rear .  the emulators will be the final stage and i'll have it right were i want it.... thanx again   fringe

From: TarheelFXR Sent: 2/8/2005 12:40 PM   Message 22 of 24 in Discussion
Classic,

Wow what a thread you have started.  To answer some of your questions:
1.  I bought the bike from 1st owner with 600 miles because I couldn't resist it.  I have made subtle changes that the pictures do not show (kept parts) to speed it up a little.  I will never sell this bike because one day I'll probably give it to my son.

2.  I have toyed with putting Works shocks on the bike, but am building an aluminum framed Wildcat FXR that weighs 31 lbs. with the swing arm, so I'll put the shocks on that bike for now.  The Foxes are rebuildable.

3.  I just like the look and feel of 19 inch (100/90/19) front wheels.  I hate the Motor Co.'s cheapo spokes-how much would it cost to use chrome or heaven forbid stainless?

4.  I may have a brochure with all the cvo bikes, I'll see if I can scan it.

5.  Supposedly the Dyna was like $50 cheaper to make than the FXR but the FXR was designed by Eric Buell when he worked for the Motor Co and the FXR is like 8 times stiffer than the factory thought that it would be which results in superb handling.  I am not sure if the earlier bikes (I think change of top shock mount was '87) do not handle better due to less stiction on the more upright shock but then you have the 35mm front end.  My shovel handles great, it may also have a little more rake.

Got to go for now can suggest other resources later.  Just buy one you will not regret it.  Oh yeah, they only made about 300 blue FXR3s and about 600 in green.

Later,
T

From: 84fxr89flht Sent: 2/21/2005 9:31 PM  Message 23 of 24 in Discussion
It's not in the range of years your looking for, but I love my fxr.
It's an '84, first year of the evo, 5 speed.  I've raked it 6 degrees, 3" over fork tubes, lowered the rear 3", 8" risers and flatrack sporster bars. Crane Cam, Mikuni, pipes, singlefire ignition...Would never trade it or sell it , I got married on this bike and still have the same girl and the same bike 12 yrs later. I just bought a flht for longer hauls, but for around town or day long rides, it is a great bike.

They handle, brake and ride very well. The rubber mounting system is stronger than the first generation Dyna frames, so you can build the motors up preety good without woring about the primary cracking. The aftermarket and to some extent the motor company are still producing parts for them, so they are pretty easy to maintain and modify.

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 3/5/2005 11:50 PM  Message 24 of 24 in Discussion
I have decided that I am interested in purchasing a 1999 Harley Davidson FXR2 either in Cold Stone Blue or Arresting Red which were the two colors that HD released them in.  IF anyone knows of one being marketed feel free to e~mail me.  Specifically I prefer that the engine be stock with no modifications, and that the mileage not be over 9,999.

As it turns out 8 weeks after posting the above, I located a 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red, in May of 2005, with 5,400 miles in excellent condition and only about 300 miles from my home.....amazingly I found it simply doing a "google" search at the time.....and within 1 hour committed to purchasing the bike subject to inspection, inspection checked out and nearly 3.5 years later here we are.....time flies, doesn't it?

Regards,

"CLASSIC"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: ClassicRider2002  (Original Message) Sent: 3/26/2005 9:51 AM

Another question I was curious about during this time was:

If you were ONLY  able to purchase 1 bike and your two choices as far as "model" were either a 2002 -  2005 FXDL (Dyna Low Rider) as your first option or a 1993-1994 FXLR or 1999 FXR2 as your second option (given that actually you have a total of 7 bikes here to choose from) what would you choose and why?

The question also involves here would you perhaps "rather" have the power of the twin cam over the earlier generation of the evo....thus making your choice the FXDL model or would you rather have the different riding style of the "proposed" better handling of the FXR model....(If you even feel this is true by the way) It seems HD in part has made the decison for us already as consumers in that they decided to not go with the necessary changes of having the FXR frame "recertified" with the federal government at the time the twin cam was being introduced in 1999 as well as the obvious opinions/facts that to continue to make the FXR frame would have required perhaps more hands on effort than the FXDL frame does require within the assembly plant...Of course there has always been that thought by some Harley Purists that the FXR frame never represented the "true harley" look although I must admit I am still loss at this opinion since I am not sure what the "true harley" look is.....nevertheless...I am hoping that many will participate in this discussion EVEN from those that feel this topic is not worthy of discussion because perhaps within the merits of your opinions whether or not based upon fact both bikes wouldn't be worthy of consideration in your own garage....

Once again....you have a garage...it's has space for only one bike....it's going to be one of 7 bikes either a 2002 FXDL, 2003 FXDL, 2004, FXDL, 2005 FXDL (Dyna Low Rider) or a 1993 FXLR, 1994 FXLR, 1999 FXR2 which one will it be and why?

I do infact wonder who has actually owned both bikes and would offer even more specific insight...Thank you to all for your input...

Regards,

"CLASSIC"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

December 04, 2008, 01:51:16 PM #3 Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:25:19 AM by ClassicRider2002
From: Bobrk1 Sent: 3/26/2005 2:18 PM   Message 2 of 21 in Discussion
Never liked the fxr at first till I rode one, seems out of all the bikes they are the strongest runner HD makes and i think its smoother because of 3 engine mounts instead of 2,but if you want to go for HP the twin cam can make some good power.

From: TCSTD Sent: 3/26/2005 2:27 PM   Message 3 of 21 in Discussion
You know my preference, hands down 99FXR2, it will out handle the LR in the respect that te swing arm is hinged on the frame and not the trans. like the LR. Along with advancement came other things like wobbles in the LR under certain conditions. It has a different feel having owned both, I would take 1 FXR rather than 2 LR's  TC

From: Redrocket_ Sent: 3/27/2005 8:02 AM   Message 4 of 21 in Discussion
FXR Hands down. Primary is shorter, less mass in it.  Also better gearing in that primary. = faster better bike!

From: drs23rk Sent: 3/27/2005 5:01 PM   Message 5 of 21 in Discussion
Well I'll weigh in as well. Since I'm going to OH to pick up an FXLR I bought off Ebay that's my choice. I was actually looking for a post '91 but this '87 has only 1354 miles on it so I bought it. The '99s are tricked out from the factory. I'd have bought one if I could have afforeded it. I couldn't :^(

I've never owned an FXDL but as a tech at an indy shop I've ridden several. They don't compare. As far as the Twin Cams go....hmmm. I've got a '99FLHPI with 125,000 miles on it. I'm on my 3rd rotating assembly because the hardened rods aren't holding up. It's got an S&S 106 in it and it delivers 114/125 but I'm not so sure I'd ever own another.

Dynas are like Sporties in that the swingarm pivot is bolted through the frame and not the frame and run thru a boss on the trans as FXRs and FLs are which provides for more ridgidity. On the up side, if there's one...you don't have to drop the swingarm to change the belt.  These little 80' EVO motors are sweet and really easy to pump up. I put pistons and a little cam in this one, no head work and it puts 82/82 to the rear wheel.  Thanks,  Dale

From: Hrlydv21301 Sent: 3/28/2005 10:23 AM    Message 14 of 21 in Discussion
Classic, we have both models and our '93 FXR by far outhandles the '03 FXDX, and is just as quick. I understood HD quit making them because the FXD frames are much less costly to build. We have had 3 other FXDs but always keep the FXR around. I put 140K on my '86 FXR riding coast to coast and the heads had never been off it---it still ran great when I sold it. I just wanted the '93. We also have 2 Roadglides (my wife rides too) for our long trips now but for the fun ride, the FXR comes out.  Oh yes, my wife regrets selling her '93 FXR to get her '03 FXDX and we each put around 30K/year on our bikes, so we do get a good feel for them.  Good luck.

From: muther Sent: 4/2/2005 5:54 PM   Message 18 of 21 in Discussion
The FXR will definitely out perform the dyna.  But most FXRs are used, so you may have to deal with used bike problems.  Depends on what you want.   I chose the fixer (FXR)

I have always liked this photo provided by TCSTD, it's a 1999 FXR2 with a beautiful sunset in the background

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your cursor next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your cursor on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Buddy WMC

After noting some information concerning the Racetech Gold Valve Emulators here, I decided to post the following questions after advising all about my next project. I have a 93 FXLR that has been modified in the engine and transmission departments. The bike was equipped with 11 1/2" Progressive 412 shocks and a chromed out front end when purchased. After installing a Baker DD6 transmission and larger Avon 140/16 Venom rear tire, it's time to get on with the front end replacement. The reasoning for the change is that the chrome on the lower legs is pitted and flaking and the fork tubes are chipped quite severely from an improper windshield installation by the previous owner. The front of the bike also sits higher that the rear. My guess is that this is due to the installation of the lower rear shocks. The bike handles well as is and I like the Progressive rear shocks as they do not bottom out.

I have a new set of 39mm stock length tubes from Forking by Frank, whom I consider to be the best on the market. I also have a new set of HD triple trees that were flawlessly chromed by Brown's Plating, new 39mm HD chromed lower legs, all new HD internals including dampeners and Progressive Suspensions 1-2" lowering spring kit. I wish to lower the front end 1" in order to have the bike sit level.

Now my questions about the Racetech valves.

1. Has anyone used them in a 39mm front end?
2. What do they actually do and are they worth the additional costs involved?
3. If any, what parts do these replace in the front end?
4. Has anyone used these in conjuction with a lowering kit?
5. Does anyone have a source to purchase from other than retail?

I generally do my own work, but have no experience with either the lowering kit or the Racetech Emulators. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I'd only like to have to do this job once.

ClassicRider2002

December 04, 2008, 03:28:39 PM #5 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:35:10 PM by ClassicRider2002
Buddy.....

HEY THERE!!!!! Glad to see you post here...... :up:

I have personal experience with the Race Tech Emulators on my 2002 RKC, but I haven't installed them on my FXR2.  Currently in the FXR2, I am running the OEM Spring and 10 oz of Bel~Ray 20w Fork Oil, the bike is handling flawlessly at this time....quite happy with it.  I also previously owned a 2003 Dyna Low Rider also with 39mm forks, within 3 weeks of owning that bike (new) I replaced the OEM Springs with a set of springs from Progressive.  At the time of installation the indy-mechanic I was working with made "sized" specific spacers out of PVC with some different Fork Oil and off I went with a HUGE IMPROVEMENT.....I simply found the Dyna OEM Springs to be worthless....but as I reflect on it....perhaps I should have begun by simply replacing the Fork Oil @ which point perhaps I would better realize whether the NEW "Progressive Springs" were actually responsible for the improvement I felt or whether the Fork Oil was mostly responsible.....it was actually later was when I installed the "Race Tech Emulators" in my RKC. 

So as I see it there are basically 7 options:

1) run OEM springs and OEM grade fork oil
2) run OEM springs and Bel~Ray 20w fork oil  (or this option could also include any grade you desire except for OEM)
3) run "Progressive" Springs with OEM grade fork oil
4) run "Progressive" Springs with Bel~Ray 20w fork Oil (or this option could also include any grade you desire except for OEM) 10 oz in each fork leg
5) run "Progressive" Springs with Bel~Ray 20w Fork Oil (or this option could also include any grade you desire except for OEM) + Race Tech Emulators w/ 10 oz
6) run a completely different front end such as an FXDX Cartridge Fork Set up
7) run AK-20 Traxxion Front End*

*This option is one which includes a "cartridge" set up and fits into your "stock" fork legs, I have a long descriptor of this option.....some guys are really convinced of the benefits of this option, I can tell you the cost is approximately $1,100.00.....Some guys swear by this as being the best of the best.....

As far as the Race Tech Emulators themselves I too would enjoy hearing from anyone that has installed them lately in their FXR's. 

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Flat Dog

Classic, you should start an FXR forum.  ;)

You're gonna make me go broke, and add an FXR to my stable again if you keep it up...

My old rat FXR was great-I could slam it into corners and ride it like a thumping crotch rocket. That thing would hig the asphalt like the tires were glue.

Reddog74usa

December 06, 2008, 03:06:01 PM #7 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:08:58 PM by Reddog74usa
Ok My story. I like my FXR. The end      :hyst: 
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Reddog74usa

Classic, Just messin with ya. I just had to do it.  ;D
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hotham

Well,  I bought one of the first FXR's in 1982, the first year, and I still have it.  I don't imagine there are very many people who keep a bike for over 26 years and still ride it. I must admit it doesn't look much like a stock 82, but it doesn't run like one either.  The places we have been and the rides I have been on could fill a book.  I will never sell it.  As far as I am concerned, it is still the best handling bike Harley ever built.

Buddy WMC

After not receiving much in the way of feedback except from Tim, I'll volunteer to be the Guinea Pig. I ordered the Racetech Gold Emulators and Bel Ray 20wt fork oil from Dennis Kirk this morning. We'll use those parts in conjuction with the Progressive front spring kit and see where we wind up.

There is still a possibility that I can also use the Progressive dampeners as well. If not, a new set of HD's are on the way from Zanotti's. I was kind of surprised with how reasonably priced they were. I'll report back on the results for anyone that may care after all the parts arrive and we get the job done, hopefully before Daytona.

ClassicRider2002

December 08, 2008, 11:24:17 AM #11 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:08:36 PM by ClassicRider2002
Classic, Just messin with ya. I just had to do it.

reddog74usa~~~

smiles....lol, I have been using some of your "old" posts which are great reads....ie: remember when you talked about evo bottom breathers....it's in one of the "REPRINT" THREADS" I just put on here last Thursday.....so NOW you are FAMOUS...lol

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

After not receiving much in the way of feedback except from Tim, I'll volunteer to be the Guinea Pig. I ordered the Racetech Gold Emulators and Bel Ray 20wt fork oil from Dennis Kirk this morning. We'll use those parts in conjuction with the Progressive front spring kit and see where we wind up.

There is still a possibility that I can also use the Progressive dampeners as well. If not, a new set of HD's are on the way from Zanotti's. I was kind of surprised with how reasonably priced they were. I'll report back on the results for anyone that may care after all the parts arrive and we get the job done, hopefully before Daytona.

Buddy WMC~~~

First of all Buddy......I wish we could get you to just do the R&D of putting in the OEM fork springs with the 20w Bel~Ray Fork Oil.....for a few days of riding....well you know a good week or two.....BUT I THINK your bike is already TORN apart if I am correct.....just guessin here.....I am surprised you have decided upon the "Progressive Corporation ~~Progressive Springs" instead of going with the Race Tech Springs as a "UNIT" with the Race Tech Emulators.....when I did my 2002 RKC I went with the Race Tech Springs as well...to have a "combined" unit from them.....if I WERE you I would dig into that decision a little deeper.....you change one element within the R&D and you change the entire results.....which is OK....I am not grumblin....but none of us will know for sure what your results might have been either "better or "worse" by going with Race Tech's Springs as well vs Progressive's "Progressive Spring".  I know when I did my front end on my 2002 RKC after reading and talking with the "tech" and R&D guys from Race Tech I felt there was enough doubt in my mind that if I didn't go with their springs I might not have the "entire" result I was searching for in the beginning......at least here it's worth the debate before you install.

I am still a bit lost at what you are talking about when you keep mentioning either HD Dampeners or Progressive Dampeners....are you talking about the OEM Dampening Rod that comes inside the forks.....so when you say there is a new set of HD Dampeners on their way if you can't use the Progressive Dampeners my question is are the HD Dampeners that you are talking about with the possiblity of putting in as a back up plan a set of OEM Dampener Rods that normally are the part number for your 93 FXLR?  Also what's the difference between the OEM Dampeners and a Progressive Dampener?   By the way you realize one of the installation elements of putting in these emulators from Race Tech requires the drilling of the Dampening Rods for both forks which allows more oil to pass through the rod quicker.....?

With the way you are going to do your "R&D" won't really be much help to the rest of us....LAUGHING not that your purpose is to be "help" to the rest of us"....LOL  <~~~sounds sort of snotty doesn't it?  and I don't mean it that way at all....laughing...but you are going to jump from OEM forks and OEM type oil weight and amount to the progressive springs, gold valve emulators by Race Tech and Bel~Ray 20W fork oil.....just like I did on my 2002 RKC of which I liked and still enjoy very much.....the unanswered question will always remain.......would you, would I, or would anyone "statistically" speaking be able to tell the difference between simply adding :

1)  keeping oem springs and going to 20w Bel~Ray Fork Oil.....now the OEM calls for 9.7 oz I believe so what if you change the fork oil weight and also increase the amount to 10 oz then what.....could even be better....and as some do on their RK's they go 20w Bel Ray Fork Oil with up to 1.5 oz over....anything more makes it too too too firm....so what if one were to put upto 11 oz of 20W Bel~Ray Fork Oil to see how that would feel.....I PERSONALLY can speak to the fact that I am running in my 1999 FXR2 10 oz of Bel~Ray Fork Oil in each fork with the OEM springs and the bike is handling perfectly into and out of canyon's ie: mountains, ie: city riding/braking, ie: and interstate riding as well.  So right now nothing is bottoming out, the bike feels responsive.....but I am also running a 19" front spoke wheel and tire, as well as a fork brace.....of which the fork brace keeps the bike more controlled in corners as well.....

2) Next would come the "Progressive" Springs by Progressive...and 20w Bel~Ray fork oil.....

It's a lot of "R&D" work but it's truly the only way to tell.....but I have ridden enough now with enough experiences in our mountain canyons here...to ride my FXR2 as hard as is possible within the limitations of the "lowered" bike frame of the 1999 FXR2 which is one of the lowest versions of the FXR framed models....so I am scraping pegs already not much reason to go into corners any harder.....and my point is the bike is handling great....as I say this I know my son~in~law would laugh about the "handling" of an FXR as compared to a Yamaha R~1 but the point is made that the bike is handling great.  I also have a buddy that has an FXR3 that we ride together and we both have said we feel we have tested the bikes to their limits.....any faster and one might have to answer to the "pavement gawds" lol....and what's the point.....since one isn't on a "track" you are using your local highways no sense being a burden to other drivers or to one's self....

So what's my point in all of this.....sometimes I think we get caught up in "modifications" that are unnecessary or beyond the $ for $ return.....to the contrary at least if you put a bigger engine into your bike you can go faster....but you can't go any faster into a corner than the "geometry" of the "frame" of your bike will allow, no matter what you do to the front end.....

If you go back and read the "FXR HISTORY" that I have been putting together.....this was the constant debate between management, marketeers, and engineers.....deciding on what does the market really want.....originally the FXR plateform frame/chassis was supported by different shocks and front forks allowing to create more lean angles....but at the end of the day....."MOST" HD riders are more concerned with how "low" they sit in the bike.....henceforth, the emergence of the "softail" allowing people to feel as though they are "sitting" in the bike instead of "on" the bike.....but with the "softail" you sacrifice one to get another.....comfort vs cool.....most HD riders that are bar hoppin are lookin at their bikes for "cool" ie: equal how low the bike sits and most HD riders who are puttin miles on their bikes are lookin at the "cool" outside of their bikes....ie: the experience....the "freedom" of not being in a "cage", the open highway....they are lookin at being on their bikes for "extended" periods of time ie: days vs hours....and they are searchin for comfort.....WHICH brings me back all the way "circular" within this paragraph....the FXR frame/chassis was established for the purposes of being an "alternative' to they heavier bikes at the time as a "light" "touring" framed bike.....and they nailed it....as that's what was successfully created....a lightwieight "touring" frame/chassis meant for touring.....as it's nearly 200 lbs lighter than todays new Road Kings.....that's a TON of difference.....

Anyway Buddy.....anything you do to your 93 FXLR would always and is always wonderful to read about.....and I am glad you are into the "R&D" of your bike......which will help all of us as FXR owners.....just like our big topic about gearing....at the end of the day you are going to have one heck of a nice machine there.....you should post some photos of the bike.....for those that haven't seen it.....it's absolutely beautiful...... :up:

So I for one want to definitely read about your reflections and thoughts after you install the Race Tech Emulators.....and what your impression is......

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Classic, you should start an FXR forum.   :smile:

Photo John~~~

laughing....that's WHAT I am TRYIN to do here.....for ALL of us......I LOVE my FXR2 and FXR's in general......and I truly feel not enough guys/gals know about them......with the latest evo engine that one can still purchase today from HD for close to nothing......one can take any FXR frame and build a great bike....and have far less into it than the "stuff" the MOTO company thinks we will buy today which they feel is better when it really is not.....once you have ridden an FXR framed/chassis bike and stay on it for say 200-300 miles you won't go back to a Dyna framed bike.....you just won't.....and for a "one up" touring experience......for anyone under 5' 11" (taller people can have the same experience but at some point a 6' 4" guy is going to feel cramped on an FXR, let's face it....they just will) or shorter there isn't a better frame.....there just isn't.....

if you guys feel like readin other good stuff about FXR's there is another website at cvoharley.com that has an FXR section and while many will think it's only for FXR2's, FXR3's for FXR4's there are many there that participate with 1982-1994 FXR's as well.....

BUTTTT This is an AWESOME website too.....and so I am just tryin to create enough information to keep us FXR Owners together.....as the years go by we are going to need one another to keep these things running......  :up:  :up:  :up:

So.....I AM TRYIN LOL I AM TRYIN!!!!

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Well,  I bought one of the first FXR's in 1982, the first year, and I still have it.  I don't imagine there are very many people who keep a bike for over 26 years and still ride it. I must admit it doesn't look much like a stock 82, but it doesn't run like one either.  The places we have been and the rides I have been on could fill a book.  I will never sell it.  As far as I am concerned, it is still the best handling bike Harley ever built.

hotham~~

I have read your posts before.......I ALWAYS love bringin you out into a "THREAD" here is an ORIGINAL OWNER....isn't THIS awesome....~~~~

Someone who has owned one of these fine bikes since their "inception"......I am what 25 years removed from your experience.....

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!  I would enjoy reading about ANY and ALL stories you would ever feel like sharing.......I would so much appreciate it if you would go to the "FXR" HISTORY" thread and follow that "THREAD" over to where I started it in the CVOharley.com website and post into that THREAD and tell about your story there.....original photo's/present photo....that's why I created that THREAD over there was to hear from "original" owners like yourself who still own the bikes.....what a vast amount of "historical' perspective you provide.....and you are right there aren't many who can say they have owned their bike 26 years and are still riding and still "love" to ride it.....<~~~~THIS is the "ESSENCE" Of what I am after here......these bikes are truly special.....not just because they are "old" or "historical" they are "historical" because they unparrelled in what they offer anyone who rides them.....comfort, fun, thrill, freedom, and a journey upon something "historically" pleasureable to own.....they are "light" and they "handle" exceptionally well.....and what appeared as too "JAP" or "foreign" in 1982 is like a very fine "wine" it's flavor is smooth and exciting.....forget that this is my bike, I could care less about that....I am just sayin look at the "stance" and "richness" of the frame......doesn't it speak to you?  It certainly does me.....

Regards,

"Classic"

LOOK AT THIS:

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your cursor next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your cursor on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Buddy WMC

Tim,
I already have the Progressive kit, so that was a given. I also found out that the complete Racetech kit is sold by rider weight with three choices. Having lost 60# due to my medical treatments, what weight kit do you select? Will I lose more weight, or after the treatments are over do I gain the 60# back? I almost always ride solo, but what if at my age happens if I get lucky?

There is an issue between HD part numbers. The FXR and FXLR use the same length fork tubes and dampeners. The FXRS and FXRT use 2" longer fork tubes and the dampeners are different. The Progressive dampeners could be either/or, won't know until the new HD ones get here.

I plan to keep the old front end for spare parts. Seems as though with the adjustability of the Emulators and the ability to change the fork oil weights, we should be O.K. As an experiment, we dropped the front end 1" on Friday by loosening the pinch bolts in the triple trees and dropping the existing tubes 1". Now the bike sits level and the handling does not seem to be affected at all. We'll tear down and get this done soon as all the new parts arrive.