REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: John S...WHICH OIL FILTER FOR LATE EVO/FXR2

Started by ClassicRider2002, December 05, 2008, 02:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

December 05, 2008, 02:55:41 PM Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:05:32 PM by ClassicRider2002
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  John S...WHICH OIL FILTER FOR LATE EVO/FXR2  04-06-06

From: ClassicRider2002  (Original Message) Sent: 4/6/2006 1:11 AM   Message 1 of 4 in Discussion
John.....

Well you know how it is, time to change the oil again in all of the bikes.....and as I go through my collection of filters I am seeing several different ones that I have accumulated via Jenni and my local dealership over the past couple of years, and I seem to recall that in some prior posts there were discussions about 5 microns vs 10 microns and peoples choices for each.....then when you go to the dealer they suggest something different....I just want to work with the right "Filter" for the right application...

Here Are My Three Bikes With Filters Listed Via Their Respective Parts Manual:

2003 FXDL  Dyna Low Rider               Twin Cam  95"
63731-99  Black                        HD
63798-99  Chrome                    HD

2002 FLHRCHI  Road King Classic    Twin Cam  Stock W/  Gear Cam
63731-99  Black                        HD
63798-99  Chrome                    HD

1999 FXR2   Evo   Stock With Cam
63798-99  Chrome                   HD   <~~~I was surprised by this one....

In my possession I have the following Filters:

63731-99A  Black  5 Micron    HD
63731-99     Black 10 Micron   HD
63805-80A  Black                     HD  <~~~I had written FXR on this box As What The Dealer Suggested
CCI #22-251  Custom Chrome Preminum 10 Micron Filter

So my questions are:

1)  Do I recall a conversation in some prior posts that talked about the 5 micron  
    filter vs the 10 micron filter

2)  Which one should I be using in my Twin Cams?  
         5 micron vs 10 micron

3)  The 63805-80A Black Filter IS this the one I should be using for my  FXR2 EVO even
      though the FXR2 Parts Manual lists using 63798-99 filter (this part number is for a chrome
      one....I always use black for my bikes)  So I would assume the MOCO company is suggesting
      that the use of the 63731-99 Black Filter would be the one to use if one wanted to use black...
      What confuses me is why is the MOCO suggesting the same filter for an Evo as they are the
      Twin Cam.

I would really appreciate any assistance on this matter from any "techs/wrenches" or those that are in the know on this....I don't think the 63731-99 filters which are the 10 microns are even available through HD any more are they? and if they are not would it be be better to go to the Custom Chrome Premium 10 Micron Filter I listed above which for a black one is CCI #22-251 or go with the 5 micron filter that HD is now using.....

Another question is should one even be using the 5 micron filter at all?

As you can see on this matter I am both some what confused and bewildered as to the appropriate filter......I hope this does not get the "bird" I am not trying to create another "oil" question....

Would anyone also take the time to explain the idea behind using the 5 mircon vs 10 micron.....and why the MOCO stopped making the 10 micron if they in fact did?   What do you all think about the Custom Chrome Filter I listed above as well.....

I really appreciate all of the help in this matter....

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

December 05, 2008, 02:58:08 PM #1 Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:03:59 PM by ClassicRider2002
From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 4/6/2006 8:12 AM   Message 2 of 4 in Discussion
Well, there really isn't all that much to say.  When Harley first came out with the Twin Cam, they designed an oil filter that was designed around the Twin Cam.  It was 5 micron and had a relief valve that was matched to the higher pressure Twin Cam oil pump.  The point of that story was that the early Twin Cam filters couldn't be used on an Evolution due to the pressure differential.  However, within a short period of time, Harley switched that so that you could use the 5 or 10 micron filters on either engine.  So there should be no compatability issues with either (it'll work on both engines).  As far as what you "should use," - Donny Peterson had an article that suggested that the 10 micron filter may actually filter better.  The idea is this; when the bike is cold and the engine oil is thicker, it may overpower the relief valve of the 5 micron filter.  So there are times when the 5 micron filter may not filter as well as the 10 micron, due to oil bypassing the pressure relief valve.

Now having said all of that, if you change your oil often enough you shouldn't have to worry all that much about particulate matter in your oil.  To tell you the truth, I really don't worry all that much about what oil filter I have on.  I'm more concerned about changing the oil on time.  At this time, I believe that all filters available from Harley are the 5 micron filters.  I hope this helps you a little, but that's all that I know about that...John S,

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 4/6/2006 12:18 PM   Message 3 of 4 in Discussion
Page 789 of The 2006 HD Acessories Catalog States:

C.  SuperPremium5 Oil Filter
Utilizing advances in synthetic filter media technology, the SuperPremium5 Oil Filters are TESTED-CERTIFIED to provide nominal 5 micron filteration to retain dust, soot and other solid matter with low internal pressure losss.  The filters also feature integral pressure relief and anti-drain back valves.
Fits all '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution 1340-equipped models and as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter  P/N 69796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90, or 63813-90.

63798-99A  Chrome     $13.95
--------------------------------------------
63731-99A  Black            $8.95

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John,

I copied the above to pinpoint what you said for others who may scan this post with a similar question about what HD is offering for filters, as it appears the Twin Cam and the Evo seem to be reflective of using filters.....thus your point is correct.....not that you needed to have verification....

While you may not feel you always "say that much" your reflections are always very valuable to me personally.....your point that as long as you are changing the oil you are not all that concerned about the filter tells me the "tip" I need to know.....

John,  am I to assume that changing your oil at the 2,500 mark is about what you would feel would be appropriate with a synthetic blend or do you go to the 5,000 mark with synthetic....or do you work with fossil.....gawd I am close to seeing the bird and turning this into a "oil" post....which is not my intention.....

I suppose my other concern....and an additional reason to review this is that with none of the bikes am I experiencing "blow by" or "oil puking" and I don't want to create such an opportunity based upon the filter I would be using.....(and I am not even sure a "filter" can result in this).  It seemed a bit "odd" that MOCO company is stating that both motors are alright to use the same filter.....If you see anything else to add to this please feel free.....Thanks again.....I appreciate your responses..... :up:  :up:  :up: 

Regards,

"Classic"

From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 4/6/2006 9:41 PM   Message 4 of 4 in Discussion
Like many OEM manufactures, Harley did not want to start selling engine-specific oil filters - so they updated (so to speak) with a new one that works with both engines.  Note that the special "long" Dyna filter is not available from Harley anymore as far as I know.

Anyway, I am changing my engine oil about every 2,500.  What I generally do, is to change all of the fluids, then go for 3,000 miles on the engine oil, then at 5,000 miles I change the engine oil ( and filter), transmission oil, and primary fluid.  Yeah, I know that doesn't make much sense - but I don't either sometimes.  If you were going to run a synthetic ( I don't ) then you could run for the whole 5,000 if you wanted to.

When it really comes down to it, if you ask me what maintenance schedule I'm on - I'm gonna tell you that I'm not on one.  If the bike should sit for a while, I may do a whole 10,000 mile service on it (even though it doesn't need it).  Or if I'm running it on a regular basis, I may just change the oils.  It really depends on how busy I am and what I think needs looking at.  You really need to decide for yourself what's your priority.  So that's what I'm saying about oils and oil changes.

Yes, I just put a 89 inch stroker into the Pumpkin, but I'm still not running synthetic.  But I'm not really worried about it either.  I currently put about 5,000 to 7,000 miles on the bike a year.  Which is really crappy since I used to ride 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year.  It's just that I'm working so hard........ but that's another story for another time.  John S,

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2