April 23, 2024, 08:45:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: EVO MOTOR MOUNTS

Started by ClassicRider2002, December 09, 2008, 01:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  EVO MOTOR MOUNTS  11-18-07

From: Blacknchrome  (Original Message) Sent: 11/18/2007 9:50 AM   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion
Looking at my bike and wonder if after 11 years on her if I should change out the front motor mounts. What aftermarket ones are better or not then stock? Any suggestions?  Bill
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 11/18/2007 10:59 AM  Message 2 of 8 in Discussion
I'm guessing that after 11 years, your front mount is probably "flat".  The only aftermarket front mount that doesn't fail in the first week is the V-Thunder Velva Ride mount.  Most people don't like it since it's a poly-mount and does not allow the motor to move as much (so you get a little more vibration in the floor boards).  However, the cool part is that it's highly resistant to oil from the oil filter - when you change filters for example.   So it wont matter that you're messy.  Other than that, the OE Harley mount is the only one I would recommend.

From: HDdude5 Sent: 11/18/2007 11:01 AM  Message 3 of 8 in Discussion
Bill,
Stick with the OE HD mount. It's lasted 11 years, and it is one of the most forgiving....
I'll do my RK this year too.  Bill

From: Blacknchrome Sent: 11/18/2007 12:52 PM   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion
Looking at the mount it seems to not be that bad to change. Any special suggestions?  Bill

From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 11/18/2007 2:22 PM   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion   
Use a piece of wood and a screw jack to lift up the engine.  You'll probably have to remove (or really loosen up) the two 9/16 head motor mount bolts - so that the metal triangle will lift up enough to clear the motor mount.  Other than that, no big deal.  This is one of the things that I love about the Velva Ride mount, it's easier to move out of the way and lasts a looong time.

From: norton8502 Sent: 11/18/2007 3:52 PM   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion
Speaking of front motor mounts, I just changed mine for the second time in some 53,000 miles. I purchased the mount from the HD dealer and while looking for a mark indicating which end goes up, I discovered a "Made in China" lable embossed in the rubber. I suspect very few HD spare parts are made in the USA these days.

From: Blacknchrome Sent: 11/18/2007 4:05 PM    Recommend   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion
John,
I believe I am going to buy the Velva unit. My motor has a few more ponies then most and after years of riding my shovel, vibration is not a problem for my feet. The also make the top stabilizer I believe as well. I changed the rear mounts when I install new bushings in the swing arm last winter. I believe in Preventive Maintenance in my work and on my bikes.  Bill

From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 11/18/2007 6:27 PM   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion
Please don't think that the bike will feel like a rigid motor.  On my 89 inch Evo, I barely feel the difference, but some who are use to being very isolated feel the difference right away.  Here's what I like the most.  If you have to do a rear rocker box, it's easiers if you remove the fromt mount.  That means removing the regulator out if the way and completely taking out the front mount.  With the Velva ride mount, once the regulator is out of the way, all you have to do is remove the one centre bolt, remove the poly, and that's it.  You don't have to loosen up the triangular mount, or take out the other two bolts (heaven!)

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

While I realize this "THREAD" goes a ways back I feel the content warrants it being brought over here to the New HTT Site, hopefully it is helpful to others.

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Flat Dog

So at 40-50k, it's a pretty good bet that the motor mounts should be replaced? My bike (1995 Dyna) seems fine at cruising speed, but anything under 2k the front fender vibrates like mad, and the whole bike shudders.

14Frisco

On my 94 FLHR I didn't necessarily noticed any more shaking (it might have. though) when my front motor mount went bad.  What gave me notice was a 'clunk' from the front-end when running over e.g a pothole or speedbump.  Even a sudden and hard application of the front brake resulted in a 'clunk'.  N ew motor mount cured that.

ClassicRider2002

So at 40-50k, it's a pretty good bet that the motor mounts should be replaced? My bike (1995 Dyna) seems fine at cruising speed, but anything under 2k the front fender vibrates like mad, and the whole bike shudders.

Photo John~~~

Based upon the above.....I would certainly give consideration to a change in your motor mount.....they aren't that expensive...pretty cheap R&D in the worst case....as was addressed above seems to be basically two "brands" to select from, ie: V~Thunder Velva Rides or the OEM......decisions, decisions, decisions....

So whatcha thinkin.....think you will replace?  If you do....please report back to us....it will only further the benefits of this "THREAD".

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Flat Dog

I'll yank the fugly rusted chrome cover off and give it a look see when I get it back from the shop. I had guessed that it was an upgraded mount from stock, and the vibration was just xmission of vibes from a firmer poly type mount.