May 08, 2024, 09:40:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: CONVERTING FROM HB125 TO STOCK PRIMARY TENSIONER

Started by ClassicRider2002, December 16, 2008, 08:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

-

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  CONVERTING FROM HB125 TO STOCK PRIMARY TENSIONER  05-27-2008

From: zenglider  (Original Message) Sent: 5/27/2008 1:03 PM   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion
My Indy told me that the HB125 is causing my primary chain to get too tight when it gets real hot, making it difficult to find neutral.  I have all of the parts to convert it back.  Can I remove the primary cover and do the swap without messing with the clutch, or do I need to re-adjust it?  
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: FATMAN  Sent: 5/27/2008 2:03 PM   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion
There should be no need to adjust the clutch if you're just going back to the stock tensioner.  Rotate it around and find the tightest spot for the chain, set the tension and you're good to go.  BTW, follow the the tightening sequence to avoid a primary leak when re-installing the cover.  I have re-used the gasket if it's not gooned-up.

From: zenglider Sent: 5/27/2008 2:14 PM   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion
Thanks, I will give it a go.   

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 5/27/2008 5:03 PM   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion
zenglider....
looks like your Indy is confirming what HIPPO said so long ago about the "automatic tensioners"..... I know many many and many more have used either the HB125 or the Hayden M6 over and over...it's just that sometimes keeping things "simple" is ok too...  THE THREADS BELOW MIGHT BE USEFUL READING, SIMPLY CLICK, VIEW, AND READ:

ADJUSTING PRIMARY CHAIN  03-18-2002

HB 125 HYDRAULIC PRIMARY CHAIN TENSIONER  05-07-2002

Regards,

"Classic"

From: Bagger41 Sent: 5/27/2008 5:07 PM   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion
Adjust the HB 125 down a notch or two so its not so tight, I run it on my 2006 flht and love it, I would never go back to stock.

From: zenglider Sent: 5/27/2008 5:56 PM   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion
I made the switch back no issues.  The shoe on the HB125 had some distinct grooves in it, unlike the stock unit, confirming it was too tight.  In this case stock is good enough for me.  With the HB125 I had a difficult time locating neutral and shifts were hard.  It is smooth now.   

From: Jmorton1011 Sent: 5/27/2008 7:26 PM   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion
>>Adjust the HB 125 down a notch or two so its not so tight, I run it on my 2006 flht and love it, I would never go back to stock.
I agree.  I have run a 125 in three consecutive bikes now (it is the same unit, I have moved it from one bike to the next & have no clue how many miles it has on it).  My bike has a VPC & Redline oil in the primary/tranny & in over 30 years I have NEVER ridden a smoother shifting bike (& I can slip it into nuetral at a dead stop with one finger)  ~John

From: Jmorton1011 Sent: 5/27/2008 7:49 PM   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion
>>With the HB125 I had a difficult time locating neutral and shifts were hard.  It is smooth now.
It was installed incorrectly, that is the exact opposite of what most people experience with these units.  I never had one iota of trouble finding neutral in my 04 RK with the stock tensioner or the HB-125, but where I noticed an immediate difference with the HB was loping along in slow traffic.   With a high compression cammed motor, cruising slowly in heavy traffic is noticeably smoother with the HB as opposed to the somewhat jerky grabby feeling you sometimes get with a properly adjusted stock primary setup.  ~John

From: NC-Renegade Sent: 5/27/2008 7:57 PM  Message 9 of 16 in Discussion
My bike has a VPC & Redline oil in the primary/tranny & in over 30 years I have NEVER ridden a smoother shifting bike (& I can slip it into nuetral at a dead stop with one finger)

Same here, except for the oil!  It is so smooth and so easy to find neutral that sometimes I upshit into it and miss 2nd.  The HB-125 runs great when adjusted correctly.

From: mrmike163rk Sent: 5/27/2008 8:14 PM   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion
Same results here, I would have tried readjusting the HB-125 it definetly takes the chain slap out and is great in conjunction with a VPC.  Mike 

From: FATMAN  Sent: 5/28/2008 6:53 AM   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion
Zenglider,    Good job.  I run the stock set-up also.

Classic,
Nice archive pull.

From: 02roadcling Sent: 5/28/2008 6:56 AM   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion
They made some bad units but they will never admit it.  :angry:

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 5/28/2008 8:24 AM   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion
Here is another little maintenance tip to pay attention to....especially since folks are using the HB125 and sort of paying less attention to this particular maintenance item.....Include this thread as well for reading....as this speaks to the use of Automatic Tensioners....for keeping things simple also I bet after reading this one we will all be taking off the Primary Chain Inspection Cover and checkin some screws....lol, SIMPLY CLICK, VIEW, & READ:

PRIMARY CHAIN ADJUSTMENT - 2001 RK  08-25-2002

By the way any of you own a "late model" bike that does use the torx head instead of the philips head screw in this location, I would like to know the part numbers and change mine out as I prepare to do a 3.37 gearing change anyway....thanks for any help!!!

Regards,

"Classic"

From: zenglider Sent: 5/28/2008 12:16 PM   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion
Classic, the part number for the Torx screws is 1783C, I purchased 2 new ones at the dealership, they come with red locktite already applied. 

Thanks, Fatman!

From: Jmorton1011 Sent: 5/28/2008 1:54 PM   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion
Yea, it would definitely suck to have one of those screws fall out while riding......~John

From: ClassicRider2002 Sent: 5/28/2008 2:24 PM   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion
zenglider THANK YOU FOR THE PART # ABOVE!.
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

-

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

moose

took my primary off the other day and found the front part of my hb125 laying in the bottom of the primary no noise or any indication of a problem.  I just like to take things apart till I break them just because I can glad I did at this time
Moose aka Glenn-