May 01, 2024, 10:31:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Installing 07-08 bunged V&H true dual pipes on a 2002 Roadking

Started by Admiral Akbar, January 14, 2009, 03:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Akbar

When install the Max on my RK, I wanted to switch to true duals.. Personally I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to use Tmax Autotune by welding bungs on the stock head pipes.. I'd think that some air could get back into the left side pipes and make tuning strange on the rear cylinder.. So... I opted for some Vance and Hines true dual head pipes. 07-08 have the bungs welded so I didn't have to weld any on.. I called VnH and asked if the 07-08s would fit and they say they would so I bought a pair off ebay.. I did run into a few problems.. 

On the right side pipe, the bracket they give you is too short. I suspect that this is because the newer 6 speeds are a little wider than 5 speeders. I ended up adding a 1/2 in x 3/4 aluminum block under the bracket. They also claim that you can drop a short carriagebolt from the top down. I ended going with a regular bolt from the bottom up to a nut.. It was a tight fit..

You can see the mount here..

For the left side I ran into to problems. I'm not sure if these are the results of new / late model differences or just a screwup.

First the bracket that goes on the starter had to be cut to clear the starter.

Second the arm that gets banded to the rear pipe needed bending.. I installed it tightened the band to tweek it into shape then bent it so that it fit nicely. Doing so the angle piece cracked so I rewelded it..

Anyway this worked out real well and I noticed that the vibes are a little less. I think that it's because the right side muffler lined up with the braket under the bag better.. I used the stock torqua clamps on the mufflers as the band clamps from VnH look flimsy.

Max

crazycalvin

Cool work.  How much work have you done to your motor?  Later, Calvin.

Deye76

I'm thinking the Bub, Rineheart head pipes would have fit better.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

bladerunner

FWIW  I installed a set of `07  rineharts on my `01 e glide  no problems   at all.....bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

Admiral Akbar

CC

Motor is box stock...

Blade.. So the brackets fit fine? Do they look the same or different? Max

bladerunner

The brackets are similar , I think the Rineharts are a little heavyier  , but the fit  very good....bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

Ken R

I've heard that the bung placements on the new V&H true dual headers are positioned such that it's very difficult to get the AFR sensors screwed in.  Did you have any problems with that? 

And from my recent experience, you are absolutey correct that the included straps are flimsy.  I used them per the instructions to mount the mufflers.  After determining that I had exhaust leaks at the muffler/header joint, I replaced them with the Torqua (sp?) clamps, torqued to spec and the leaks disappeared.  They're much, much better. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Ken R on January 15, 2009, 09:14:13 PM
I've heard that the bung placements on the new V&H true dual headers are positioned such that it's very difficult to get the AFR sensors screwed in.  Did you have any problems with that? 

And from my recent experience, you are absolutey correct that the included straps are flimsy. 

Ken.

I'd expect that you'd need a crows foot socket attachment to get em out but I installed mine off the bike so it wasn't to bad.. I think from a position in the head pipe, they are placed well though.

I seem to remember you or someone else mentioning the weakness of those camps so I went with the torqua..

Max.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: bladerunner on January 15, 2009, 04:13:34 PM
  The brackets are similar , I think the Rineharts are a little heavyier  , but the fit  very good....bladerunner

One of the thing I noticed isthat they have a stepped headpipe.. Exit at 2 inches..  I've got almost new hooker tuned flows on the bike.. Max