April 19, 2024, 10:52:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR HISTORY

Started by ClassicRider2002, November 06, 2008, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

November 06, 2008, 11:15:41 AM Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:57:05 PM by ClassicRider2002
Here is a "THREAD" that I started over at HTT at MSN and thought I would bring it back over here as well.....

Oh and we get to "MODIFY" HERE AS WELL.....SO MY VERY FIRST POST AT THE NEW SITE IS ABOUT THE FXR HISTORY....AWESOME.....lol

So here it is:

I have really enjoyed owning my 1999 FXR2 since May of 2005, and so it seems that I am always trying to relay the "benefits" of these bikes to others....which I find fun and interesting.  Ok I admit it, I have a "passion" for the FXR, lol....

Recently I decided to sit down and put together some information in one place about it's history....anytime one hears the word "history" that can obviously conjour up some real boredom....but hopefully this won't be the case....the purpose of putting this information in one place was to help others who have no idea what an FXR is to perhaps consider the merits of the bike as one they might possibly find worthy of discovery....rather this is successful or not, I still had some fun putting it together....
Once this began others eagerly participated as well so it's become a "group" project and I thought here at HHT that perhaps some of you might find it interesting to participate as well offering your insights and experiences.....

I am hopeful some of you here may help to fill in the blanks where you see them by either your own photos of your FXR's as well as assisting to make sure any information that is provided is accurate....I am after the "correct" historical perspective.....so here is the thread, if you feel so motivated to take a peek hopefully you will find it worthy of your time spent.....

This forum has such great members I am hopeful to gain further perspective of the FXR's through your experiences and eyes as well.....

SIMPLY PUTTING YOUR CURSOR OVER THE "TEALED FXR HISTORY" BELOW WILL CAUSE THE LINK TO BECOME highlighted, ONCE IT'S highlighted NEXT CLICK YOUR CURSOR, THEN VIEW & READ AT YOUR PLEASURE:

CLICK HERE: FXR HISTORY *
*I happen to be "FXR2evo99" at this particular site.

I hope to learn more about these wonderful bikes through all of you as well so please feel free to post photos and input....sharing with us what is stock or options as properly referenced....

Best Regards,

"Classic"

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

November 06, 2008, 11:19:59 AM #1 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:47:21 PM by ClassicRider2002
Here is some additional information that was also in the original THREAD that I posted at the OLD HTT:
By the way did/does everyone all realize that from 1981-1994, also inclusive of 1999 and 2000 there are a total of 74 different models of FXR's that were produced....of course I am not referring to "colors" as a descriptor only "models" ie: a model for 1988 and a model for 1989 of the same description would be (to me) a different "model" since of course there is a difference in the "year", just so we are all on the same page.

and thanks everyone for your positive feedback.....BUT if anything is inaccurate feel free to offer clarifying opinions....I am after accurate information here.....

Also as some of you most likely gathered, in 1985 when the FXRC-Low Glide Custom came out in the "root beer" dubbed bike (ie: brown leather seat with orange paint) apparently HD continued on with the FXRC-Low Glide Custom labeling the bike on the Handlebars as a FXRC Custom of which 1250 of them were made.  What's rather interesting about this is that at this point I have found no literature in the sales brochures that mentioned this "particular" model as an option for the calander year.  Some have suggested that these were left over from the previous year's presentation however they were produced in other colors, if anyone has specific information that would offer "specific" clarification of this matter I would love to know the "facts"....and will post them accordingly.....this is how I arrived at the "74" models of the FXR....I believe the literature would only note a total of 73 FXR models without this discrepancy.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

November 06, 2008, 11:22:05 AM #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:50:36 PM by ClassicRider2002
.....and some further posting within the OLD HTT THREAD:

1991 FXR-SP-Low Rider Sport Edition:

Total sold was 683 and was given the black and chrome version of the evo engine.  Uses sealed handlebar as the system's air reservoir, and included an air valve on the left side of the bar as a means to adjust air pressure for the front suspension.

In 1988 the FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition began using a remote reservoir in addition to the fork legs.  The larger volume made adjustment more gradual, and let the rise in pressure from fork compression, and the corresponding increase in fork stiffness, take place more smoothly.  HD used a electronic solenoid, actuated at the brake lever, to close off the air reservoir, thus reducing air volume to effectively "stiffen" springing while damping rates remain unchanged.  This simplified the fork mechanically, with air attending to two functions at once. 

In 1988, HD engineers wanted to simplify the system even further.  When the anti-dive first appeared on the FXRT Sport Glide in 1983, a spherical accumulator mounted behind the bike's fairing became the fork's remote air reservoir.  The FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition puts its tubular handlebar to work as the reservoir, with a Schrader valve protruding from its left end.  The bike's rear shocks have 0.7" more travel than a standard FXRS and the anti-dive gives the FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition a further boost in ride height.  Eventually of course the machine drags the same pieces as the standard FXRS Low Rider ie: footpegs, jiffy stand, frame tubes, but only with a much steeper angle of lean.  In 1988, compared to the standard FXRS Low Rider the FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition has 1.4" more wheelbase, is 1" taller at the saddle, and uses more rake and trail.  31 degrees/4.8" (versus 29 degrees/4.2").  The FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition fuel tank holds less fuel and it lacks the FXRS Low Rider's forward-set highway pegs.  Of course what it is actually for your year of 1991 I am not sure of but would like to know of course.

In 1981 The FXR Super Glide II featured 6.12 inch of ground clearance and a long wheel base of 65.7 inches.  Rake was 30 degrees, while the trail came in at 4.7 inches all of which led the FXR into any corner without fear.  As you can see above It would be right here where HD would spend their greatest time modifying the FXR riding experience to capture the greatest amount of riders.  While never modifying the chassis/frame, one year marketing side would cut the fork tubes down and make the rear shocks shorter and as quickly as that was decided upon the engineers would step back in the next year with the tension to take it the other direction, in the end it would be viewed as a sea of compromise one year the engineers would be victorious while yet in another the marketing side would see to it that the bike went to a lower stance.  At no time did this "sea of compromise" affect the uniquely wonderful riding experience in terms of the FXR comfort factor, what was constantly being debated however, was just how aggressive HD riders were willing to become as they entered into the curves with a frame/chassis that knew no fear.  Time and substance out distanced fast and furious and so it is that HD continues to allow us to dream while we cruise.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

November 06, 2008, 11:24:16 AM #3 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:54:30 PM by ClassicRider2002
I found a great "thread" on an article from "Rider" Magazine I will provide a link to as well as another enthusiast's project on his 1983 FXRT.....

Part of my problem also was I have three different locations I am keeping information and if I don't keep all three "accurately" updated well this sort of thing happens....but I am tryin.....lol....ANYWAY THANK YOU!!! Sorry for my confusion.....you are correct and I was/am wrong....

I am sorry for getting into brain lock but THANK YOU For "correcting" my inaccurate reflections....for some reason I kept thinking about 1981 and 1982 and saying but there were only the two models the FXR Super Glide II and the FXRS Super Glide II offered in those particular years....and some how combining 1983 in there as well....

[In 1983,
The model line reverted to names, with the FXR and FXRS being the Low Glide. MOST OF US would think the "S" stood for sport....but not to be the case the "S" actually stood for "Low Glide" go figure......Next we find the Moto Company creating a third model, lettered the FXRT which sold 1,458 units. The "T" stood for Touring except there was already the FLT for Touring, so the FXRT was named the Sport Glide and the S was just the extra trim and cast wheels. The FXRT also came with conventional plastic saddlebags meaning boxes outboard and below the passenger seat. It all seems very confusing, let's just say the MOTO company was trying to build bikes but logic wasn't always available....and besides they were trying to keep the FLT and FLHT's as their "TOURING LINE" and didn't want to cross reference the two lines....
H-D thought they would have a winner...something people could tour in without the "bigness" of the FLT....but the "market" (you and I said) the FXRT looked too much like the "imports", especially the fairing and people just didn't find it appealing.

Thus the shovel engine saw it's days last from late in the year of 1981 to 1983 where the emergence of the EVO began.....in 1984 FOR the FXR framed bike.]

Here is that link to the "Rider" Magazine article talking about the 1983 FXRT Sport Glide....:

1983 FXRT RIDER MAGAZINE ARTICLE    <~~~~CLICK AND VIEW

Within this particular thread there is also another "embeded" thread for anyone who wants to see the "author's" rebuild of his 1983 FXRT Super Glide.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Anything added beyond this point is new information beyond when this THREAD was originally started at the OLD HTT Site:

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2