April 19, 2024, 03:47:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fixing up my 84 FXRS Low Glide

Started by Black Diamond, February 23, 2009, 09:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Diamond

February 23, 2009, 09:54:22 AM Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:28:19 AM by Black Diamond
I've let my 84 Low Glide sit in the corner of the garage for a number of years while I rode my other Harley's. I always told myself one day I'd get around to getting her fixed up. She was my first HD and I fell for her. So time to start. This is how she looks now. Stock with a S&S carb, chome side covers, 21" front spoke wheel, disc rear wheel, Badlander seat.

As she's an older bike as well as 84 being the first year for the Evos, some of the parts are hard to find. Some are for early 84 only as the Evo's made some changes in the first year. Ex: the inspection cover. I did find some parts on eBay, many obsolete. I'm replacing the old center console with the below HD custom piece.

Black Diamond

The motor / tranny was really showing her age.

So I had em remove some parts for chroming and paint the motor / tranny. She's looking much better now. You have to show your bike some love every so often!

Black Diamond

Removed all the sheet metal for a paint job to come. I've heard Harleys come in colors other than BLACK. Can you believe it!
Took the oil tank out to as it was looking poorly.

This is the base coat, Vivid Black with the clear coat buffed up for the air brush work.

The metal side panels were sand blasted to remove the chrome vs using the plastic covers. They should look better painted than the plastic ones, I'm told.

Based on the oil tank, I'm going to be happy with the paint.

Black Diamond

Replacing the OEM buckhorn bars with a set of Deuce bars I had in the basement. Here's the OEM set up.

This is the Deuce bars with some HD mirrors, turn signals moved to the trees, Roland Sand grips, chrome levers and gauge housings

I may put 4 inch straight risers in as the bars may need to come back a bit more. I can't use pull back with the OEM gauges mounted.

I really like the grips. Black and Silver.

Black Diamond

Replaced the stock rear shocks with Progressive 412s.

Black Diamond

I'm having em put in a Wood W6 cam. I've talked with Bob Wood and others (thanks Scott - Hillside) and decide to put this cam all tho I had a EV27 in hand. I know me well enough, I will end up doing some head work on her in time to come.

Still have some more chrome parts to add like the shifter linkage, oil pump plug etc. I'm letting my son ride her this year to keep her moving. When he buys his first Harley, Eve comes home to me!

I'll add to this when more gets done. This is my little bit to help stimulate the economy.

JW

Thanks for the help on the pic Mike!

bigblock6912

blackdiamond: that's a twin to mine except for front wheel. i have the same centerline rear wheel. bought mine new in 83. you should drill your oil tank and braze in a fitting so you can drain your oil on kickstand side. easy to do since you already have it out. bikes looking good. i still have the buckhorns but after seeing your deuce bars i kind of like that. good luck and keep posting pics

bigblock6912

what year deuce bars or are they all the same? are you going to put the tank decals back on? i think they are the nicest looking of most any harley

Black Diamond

February 24, 2009, 06:45:52 AM #8 Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:03:31 AM by Black Diamond
Quote from: bigblock6912 on February 23, 2009, 07:20:56 PM
what year deuce bars or are they all the same? are you going to put the tank decals back on? i think they are the nicest looking of most any harley

BB6912

As far as I know, the Deuce bars were the same throughout the models life. I took these off a 2003 anny I was having customized. That was a sweet looking bike but I just never could get in to her like my other Harleys

JW

ClassicRider2002

Jeff.....

I like the painted "silver" you did to that engine....it really freshened it up.....so is this work being done at a indy shop? 

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Black Diamond

Quote from: ClassicRider2002 on February 24, 2009, 08:29:19 AM
Jeff.....

I like the painted "silver" you did to that engine....it really freshened it up.....so is this work being done at a indy shop? 

Regards,

"Classic"

Hey Tim

I've really been impressed with the motor after she was painted. Looks like a different scooter sitting there. I am one of the guys fortunate enough to have a Harley shop that takes great care of it's customers and do outstanding service work. I can not count the number of times Roger has given me advise that saved me money and worked out better than I had planned. I know sticking up for a Harley shop is not considered "cool" by some but I'll take these guys to the bank.

Besides, the Harley shop 4 miles away from me has not / will not see a dime of my money. They are exact opposites!

JW

ClassicRider2002

and how far do you travel to this one?

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

dave_9113

SWEET!  What's there more to say. 

dave

Black Diamond

Quote from: ClassicRider2002 on February 24, 2009, 10:23:00 AM
and how far do you travel to this one?

Regards,

"Classic"

120 miles one way. For me it is worth the trip. You would think in a city as large as Peoria, Il. there would be a good wrench. The dealer here suks. The two indys I've tried caused more damage than help. One of them is the supposed Guru on Evo's. He folded my manifold gasket and couldn't figure out why it was backfiring and missing. I don't want to get started.  :angry: :angry: :angry:

I have a couple of buddies that go with me to the same place. We just make a day out of it. Damn shame, we have to ride our scooters! LOL.

JW

JW

smittyon66

Black Diamond,
What dealer do you use? I very rarely let a dealer touch my bikes, but theres a dealer in Kewannee IL I do trust. They have gone out of their way to help me.

I'm not looking to turn this into a thread bashing bad dealers, but when I hear of a good one I don't see any harm in mentioning there name or location.

Smitty
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

Black Diamond

Quote from: smittyon66 on February 24, 2009, 08:26:07 PM
Black Diamond,
What dealer do you use? I very rarely let a dealer touch my bikes, but theres a dealer in Kewannee IL I do trust. They have gone out of their way to help me.

I'm not looking to turn this into a thread bashing bad dealers, but when I hear of a good one I don't see any harm in mentioning there name or location.

Smitty

Hi Smitty

I know the dealer you are refering to in Kewannee. I've been there a time or two. I used to be there more often when Roger R. was still alive. I have several friends that swear by them.

I go to Gutterridge HD in Danville. Michael and Roger G. are great guys. Small shop.

Stay safe and keep the painted parts up

JW

elvislee

Hey Jeff, Thanks for posting this up over here man; Its really looking good and can't wait to see the final result  :up:

Hey, don't I remember you saying something about you were or are going to replace or re chrome your rear wheel? When I bought my 4 a few years ago the guy who owned it had kept it parked under a friggin tarp on his uncovered back porch and the chrome on the rear wheel was peeling noticeably in quite a few places. I been thinking of a re chrome on it or a new wheel depending on which is cheaper. So, I'm just sorta looking around for a good chrome shop to do it while just beginning to check on prices for a new or good used one. Anyway, keep it up man and now we get to see who puts their bike on the road first; you or Mikey?  :up:

Black Diamond

Howdy Blaine

I'm thinking about chroming the rear wheel next winter. I may break out the OEM front wheel for a black powder / chrome job also. As you know, there really is no DONE with these things.  :crook:

Heck, Mikey's doing his own work, he wins my respect!

JW

ClassicRider2002

more pictures Jeff.........please....lol

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

elvislee

Quote from: Black Diamond on February 26, 2009, 09:12:40 AM
Howdy Blaine

I'm thinking about chroming the rear wheel next winter. I may break out the OEM front wheel for a black powder / chrome job also. As you know, there really is no DONE with these things.  :crook:

Heck, Mikey's doing his own work, he wins my respect!

JW

Yea man, on the rear wheel I need to do something on mine too. Guess I need to start seriously doing some research on chroming companies and prices.

Hey, I think Mikey has been pullin a fast one on us. Maybe he's been taking all those pics while the guy from the Harley shop has been coming in and working his build on the side for beer...............................Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, Mikey wouldn't do that would he?   ;D   :hyst:

elvislee

Quote from: ClassicRider2002 on February 26, 2009, 12:15:30 PM
more pictures Jeff.........please....lol

Regards,

"Classic"

YES!, YES!, YES!, more pics.....they are more gooder  ;D

HDdude5

Awesome work!
Can you go into a bit more detail on the engine painting? I'm getting ready to yank the motor on my shovel to do the same thing. Any tips would really be appreciated... Paints, techniques, primers, etc......
Thanks, and yea, MORE PICS PLEASE!~

hardtail84

That bike is nice. I think you should paint the fork lowers black, that would really set it off nice. My neighber has a 82 shovel just like yours setting in his garage. The guy that owns it is an old clubber of mine but he won't sell it. It,s just sittin there .
It'll fit, just hit it harder!

smittyon66

Lookin good, JW. Keep those pics coming.

I picked up an 84 FXRT last fall. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it just yet. It's still pretty much original and in decent shape.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

fxr4mikey

Quote from: elvislee on February 25, 2009, 10:51:20 PM
Hey Jeff, Thanks for posting this up over here man; Its really looking good and can't wait to see the final result  :up:

Hey, don't I remember you saying something about you were or are going to replace or re chrome your rear wheel? When I bought my 4 a few years ago the guy who owned it had kept it parked under a friggin tarp on his uncovered back porch and the chrome on the rear wheel was peeling noticeably in quite a few places. I been thinking of a re chrome on it or a new wheel depending on which is cheaper. So, I'm just sorta looking around for a good chrome shop to do it while just beginning to check on prices for a new or good used one. Anyway, keep it up man and now we get to see who puts their bike on the road first; you or Mikey?  :up:

well, we know getting them back together isn't a race, but I hope to have some gas in my tank this Sunday   :pop:
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb