April 27, 2024, 10:27:41 AM

News:

Compensating Assy. 2014 FLHTK 2970 Miles

Started by Billy, October 31, 2013, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

I've been getting up to speed on the issues with the previous assemblies. This one had to come apart due to crank problems, so a quick inspection was in order. It appears the Moco may have it figured out, probably from reading about it here on HTT. Here's some pics after about 3K miles.

Cover, with oil scoop

Deposits the oil on the tapered bolt head, centrifugal force feeds it through the holes in the sprocket retainer

Backside

Six oil holes feed this groove

Thrust bearing and washers are like new

Sprocket bore is like new, red ink marks contact with sliding cam, very small shiny spots

Sliding cam

Two .032 spring shims

Large spring

Medium spring

and the baby
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

FSG

The smartest thing about that new comp IMO is the taper on the head of that 70T Bolt.

Admiral Akbar

mattVA

Glad to hear it. Mine is on its way arriving next week. .
2009 FXDF

ViennaHog

Any leads why the crank was so far out of a reasonable spec?

Ken R

Quote from: FSG on October 31, 2013, 11:51:56 AM
The smartest thing about that new comp IMO is the taper on the head of that 70T Bolt.

What an ingenious solution!  Using centrifugal force instead of fighting it. 

I wonder if these new compensators will be sold as kits as our pre-2014 compensators wear out.   My 2013 will be out of warranty in 4 years, 8 months, plenty of time for the compensator to need replacement. 

Ken

HV

I installed an upgrade kit today on a 2011 cvo 110. Extended warranty covered the upgrade.  Here is the plastic insert installed to update the cover.
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Billy

I was cursing when I first saw that bolt because I didn't have a tool to turn it, but after taking it apart, I thought, "pretty slick".

Billy

Quote from: ViennaHog on October 31, 2013, 01:53:34 PM
Any leads why the crank was so far out of a reasonable spec?

Bad luck of the draw, I guess. Might replace it with an S&S piece.

Billy

Quote from: Ken R on October 31, 2013, 02:37:15 PM

What an ingenious solution!  Using centrifugal force instead of fighting it. 

I wonder if these new compensators will be sold as kits as our pre-2014 compensators wear out.   My 2013 will be out of warranty in 4 years, 8 months, plenty of time for the compensator to need replacement. 

Ken

Yes, part #42200064. Retail 299.95, installation adhesive kit #11100088, and if you don't have a T70 Torx, you'll need that too, buy a good one as you have to apply 175 ft/lbs to the bolt.

Billy

Quote from: HV on October 31, 2013, 02:52:46 PM
I installed an upgrade kit today on a 2011 cvo 110. Extended warranty covered the upgrade.  Here is the plastic insert installed to update the cover.

:up: :up:

ViennaHog

Shop guys did a few conversions of 2007 and 2008. Pretty slick arrangement. Getting the adhesive is a RPITA, but we found a compatible Locticte glue HYSOL 9497 and a fair bit cheaper than the HD supplied stuff

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

7hogs

Quote from: HV on October 31, 2013, 02:52:46 PM

What's the part number?

paulsails01

Billy,

Thanks for the post, this issue may be a non issue now.  Just for info what oil are you using in the primary?

Billy

Quote from: paulsails01 on November 04, 2013, 03:43:43 PM
Billy,

Thanks for the post, this issue may be a non issue now.  Just for info what oil are you using in the primary?

Whatever came in the bike, smells like Formula Plus.

Billy

Hoople

November 06, 2013, 06:33:09 AM #17 Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:35:17 AM by Hoople
Quote from: ViennaHog on November 01, 2013, 05:01:56 AM
Getting the adhesive is a RPITA, but we found a compatible Locticte glue HYSOL 9497 and a fair bit cheaper than the HD supplied stuff

By chance would you know if there a plastic type identifier on the oil scoop?  Usually a logo of some sort like in attachment. Tks!

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

koko3052

Hmmmm..... & I know where you're going with that! :wink:

ViennaHog

Quote from: Hoople on November 06, 2013, 06:33:09 AM
Getting the adhesive is a RPITA, but we found a compatible Locticte glue HYSOL 9497 and a fair bit cheaper than the HD supplied stuff

By chance would you know if there a plastic type identifier on the oil scoop?  Usually a logo of some sort like in attachment. Tks!

Hoople  there is no recycling identifier on it. There is a part number 62700064 (softail) and a marking <PA66 GF33> on it and that all. To me it looks like an ABS plastic

Ken R

I'm thinking that it's something that can be easily chewed up should it break free..  Primaries get up to 450 degrees and down to, well ambients of 20 below or colder. Must be some pretty good adhesive to hold it with expansions and contractions at those extremes.

Ken

Geezer_Glider

ViennaHog

Hoople

Quote from: ViennaHog on November 06, 2013, 08:22:37 AM
Quote from: Hoople on November 06, 2013, 06:33:09 AM

Hoople  there is no recycling identifier on it. There is a part number 62700064 (softail) and a marking <PA66 GF33> on it and that all. To me it looks like an ABS plastic

Thanks for checking ViennaHog.  I haven't seen those oil trays yet but ABS sounds about right to me. I was actually going to give JB weld a try because it's good to 500*F & comes in small amounts. But then I read that it won't stick to polpropylene or polyethylene. That's why I asked.

rbabos

Jb would be too rigid, I think.  You need something that allows for the different expansion rates between the plastic and aluminum in the bond zone. That would be my concerns.
Ron