May 01, 2024, 11:04:43 AM

News:

Rebuild time for the touring pig

Started by Coyote, August 13, 2015, 06:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slothy

check the belt guard, mine was blocking that hole. i ended up drilling a new bigger hole in the guard in the correct spot
2015 RGS 30" 107/ss570 cams/HPI 58mm/WFOLarry stage 2+ / trask turbo

FSG

QuoteGround off a little material so the rotor can be removed or installed later if need be.

:up:

Coyote

October 02, 2015, 03:46:32 PM #127 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:41:39 PM by Coyote
After our trip to Kansas, I finally got back on the bike this week. Finished up the motor and dropped it in the frame today. Also got the transmission case put in and the swing arm.

No Cents

looking good!  :up:
nice job on those in the floor lifts you 3 musketeer's did too!
Hell...my barn is needing one of those fancy in the floor lifts too...and I'm just another days ride east...if you guys ever get bored.  :wink:

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Coyote

Transmission is done and today the inner primary went back on along with lots of little stuff. Grinding the inner primary was enough to get the rotor on after the inner went in.

Started the mod for external breather as well.

[attach=0,msg974341]

[attach=1,msg974341]

RXBOB

external breather is a must for any new engine :up:

Coyote

I like the silicon tubing better than the auto parts store stuff

[attach=0,msg974519]

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I have been using this set up for several years now....works very well and allows oil to run back down into head after condensates. I change the filters as needed. The filter should or at least it does on my carbed set up fit between the head and the carb cap/top.... maybe think about this....

Kuryakan blue grass breathers. There is one set for carbed and one set for efi....

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1031/bluegrass-breather-kits[attach=0]
Member since 2004

Coyote

I like the idea of that but I have some concerns about long term riding in heavy rain (which I end up doing at times).  Same with using a catch can and breather. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Coyote on October 06, 2015, 09:36:38 AM
I like the idea of that but I have some concerns about long term riding in heavy rain (which I end up doing at times).  Same with using a catch can and breather.

Not only that but it won't fit..

Hossamania

I personally don't like the idea of the tubing going up. Liguid flows down, I want it out and away. I've seen what gathers in the catch can, I don't want that going back into my head. The little bit of oil lost won't be missed.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

What I really wanted was a catch can with a protected breather but I have not be able to find it. I suppose I could build something. My 2012 will drip one drop after a long ride. Not much but it would be nice to not have to clean it up

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I have ridden in the rain many times with no issues........The filters are under the gas tank several inches.......

And I dont know for sure why they would not fit......Maybe has to do with the newer motors........these came out during the 88 motor time...........But They work nice on my motor!! 2004 [attachimg=1]B 95 inch!!

Hope you can see how they fit on mine...
Member since 2004

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on October 06, 2015, 10:27:44 AM
I have ridden in the rain many times with no issues........The filters are under the gas tank several inches.......

And I dont know for sure why they would not fit......Maybe has to do with the newer motors........these came out during the 88 motor time...........But They work nice on my motor!! 2004 B 95 inch!!

[attach=0]

You have the early SE backing plate with stamped backing plate braket.. Look at Keith's.. It is one piece cast.. FWIW don't care for that bolting scheme as it can leak unless you spend time sealing everything up with sealer.. 

q1svt

October 06, 2015, 11:17:56 AM #139 Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:27:48 AM by q1svt
Quote from: Coyote on October 06, 2015, 10:01:31 AM
What I really wanted was a catch can with a protected breather but I have not be able to find it. I suppose I could build something. My 2012 will drip one drop after a long ride. Not much but it would be nice to not have to clean it up
:scratch:
I run a CC like this one...  just open the drain valve on a rainy day, close it on nice days. 
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,85930.msg970789.html#msg970789

OR
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=62-1511

they come in a couple of fitting ID's
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

jmorton10

Quote from: Hossamania on October 06, 2015, 09:57:37 AM
I personally don't like the idea of the tubing going up. Liguid flows down, I want it out and away. I've seen what gathers in the catch can, I don't want that going back into my head. The little bit of oil lost won't be missed.

I agree 100%.

I was emptying my catch can this morning & thinking the exact same thing.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

04 SE Deuce

Make your own,  lots of ways to do it.  Doesn't need a filter on the can,   hose/tube off the top or high area of the can with a hat/cover to keep water out or opening turned down etc.  Simple separator in the can reservoir would be a plus.  -Rick

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Quote from: Max Headflow on October 06, 2015, 10:50:27 AM
Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on October 06, 2015, 10:27:44 AM

And I dont know for sure why they would not fit......Maybe has to do with the newer motors........these came out during the 88 motor time...........But They work nice on my motor!! 2004 B 95 inch!!

[attach=0]

You have the early SE backing plate with stamped backing plate braket.. Look at Keith's.. It is one piece cast.. FWIW don't care for that bolting scheme as it can leak unless you spend time sealing everything up with sealer..

I made my own stainless steel washers that seal the karayken fiting to the breather bolts and to the heads, everything else works fine and have been running it for 6+ years. no leaks or issues.......A little soot on the intake manifold but that cleans up easy enough.

for me it is clean and neat and functional.

And yes I know understand the difference in the backing plate.......Don't have any experience with newer backing plates......I am stuck in a time warp and only have my carbed bike....lol
Member since 2004

buell95

Do a goggle search lots of breather filters with chrome covers over them or have shields around them.

1FSTRK

I do not understand why anyone would want to filter the blow-by air that comes out of their engine. Once you get a little oil mist coating the inside of the filter element you create back pressure and crank case pressure will escalate from there.
These are vents to get rid of any crank case pressure, if they are sucking anything in then fix the breather umbrellas.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

BUBBIE

Plenty of OIL in the Blacktop... Not a problem for a Little added to it... @ Y into One and Straight to the ground would be My Way... :potstir:

Coming from a Lazy member who still vents the stock way :kick:

some day... :pop:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 07, 2015, 03:14:52 AM
I do not understand why anyone would want to filter the blow-by air that comes out of their engine. Once you get a little oil mist coating the inside of the filter element you create back pressure and crank case pressure will escalate from there.
These are vents to get rid of any crank case pressure, if they are sucking anything in then fix the breather umbrellas.

:scratch: But aren't those gauze type filters supposed to be oiled?  Think of it as a self oiling gauze filter..  :wink: I agree with the rest.. Not needed.. On the evos I had they just served as a collection point for the oil to drip out of.. Any sort of catch is good if you have a bleeder motor..

No Cents

Coyote...I know this is probably a stupid question...but are your backing plate breather bolts hollow (drilled down the center) with a hole drilled thru the sides of them to allow the muck to exit and drain down into the barbs?

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Ed Y

I ran this setup from the backing plate drains for many years on a number of bikes. Never got any oil on bike or tires and very seldom ever saw any drips after 700-800 mile days.

Coyote

Quote from: No Cents on October 08, 2015, 04:00:01 AM
  Coyote...I know this is probably a stupid question...but are your backing plate breather bolts hollow (drilled down the center) with a hole drilled thru the sides of them to allow the muck to exit and drain down into the barbs?

Rayt

Yes they are.