May 08, 2024, 01:19:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch Hub Bearing Dimensions

Started by Nowhereman, August 16, 2015, 09:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhereman

Does anyone know the dimensions of the inner clutch hub bearing. ( EVO application 1998)
I want to look around at some bearing houses to see if I can size her up with something better.
Probably less expensive too.
- From Nowhere in particular

FSG

You'll be pleased to know that a 1998 Evo has the same clutch as a twin cam while the clutch hub bearing 37906-90 has been in use for quite some time.

The bearing from a HD Dealer will set you back $89 to $90 ,

while your bearing house can supply you with a KOYO 5207 CD3 Double Row Angular Contact Ball Bearing for less than half of that.

If you haven't heard of or used Koyo before they are good quality bearings and Koyo now own Timken or at least the bearing divisions  that interest us Harley types.

Som reading=> http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,3003.msg27537.html#msg27537    :teeth:

http://www.srg-bearings.com/KOYO/KOYO5207/

Nowhereman

Quote from: FSG on August 17, 2015, 12:40:37 AM
You'll be pleased to know that a 1998 Evo has the same clutch as a twin cam while the clutch hub bearing 37906-90 has been in use for quite some time.

The bearing from a HD Dealer will set you back $89 to $90 ,

while your bearing house can supply you with a KOYO 5207 CD3 Double Row Angular Contact Ball Bearing for less than half of that.

If you haven't heard of or used Koyo before they are good quality bearings and Koyo now own Timken or at least the bearing divisions  that interest us Harley types.

Som reading=> http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,3003.msg27537.html#msg27537    :teeth:

http://www.srg-bearings.com/KOYO/KOYO5207/

OK, I'm far more educated on that damn bearing than I ever want to be..lol
When you purchase a new clutch assembly from Bandit, do they supply a new bearing with the "Sportsman" set up..

mattdrag

5207 is the bearing #, i bought 2 old stock New Departure bearings on ebay for $50 for both. g

pumpguy68

:up: KOYO bearings very good quality!

i use them all the time on electric motors much better than most other brands.

stay away from SKF they are hit and miss just from my experience.

ray m
If it has tits or gears it will give you problems at some point!!

JC 92FXRS

Does that bearing go back as far as 1992 (fxrs)?
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Nowhereman

Picked up two of theses.   5207-ZZ Premium Shielded Double Row Angular Contact Ball Bearing 35x72x27mm
For $35.00  for the pair, shipped on Ebay just now.
They have mechanical shields and are not sealed.

FSG

Quote from: JC 92FXRS on August 17, 2015, 09:58:26 AM
Cheers, Jeff

:up:  sure does

Nowhereman

Now a decision to be made.
My Bros shop closed down a year ago or more due to his death. (cancer)
Finding someone who can press out the hub around here is scary.
Dealer wants more than it would cost for me to buy a press from Harbor Freight.

FBobPilot

Different bike but installing the Sportsman clutch soon and it did not come with the bearing. Same delimma as you with the pressing of the bearing, I decided to do it myself and bought a Harbor Freight 12 ton press. Now if it will cool off a bit, I can get to work.

Hope you followed the recent thread on "aligning" the Bandit index marks on the hub and pressure plate....
2012 Fat Bob 107"

Buffalo

You may want to remove the shield from the open side, not sure the bearing would get adequate oiling with both sides essentially closed.
jm2c  Buffalo

Nowhereman

Quote from: FBobPilot on August 18, 2015, 07:27:47 AM
Different bike but installing the Sportsman clutch soon and it did not come with the bearing. Same delimma as you with the pressing of the bearing, I decided to do it myself and bought a Harbor Freight 12 ton press. Now if it will cool off a bit, I can get to work.

Hope you followed the recent thread on "aligning" the Bandit index marks on the hub and pressure plate....
Haven't received the clutch yet but, I'll check into it.

Nowhereman

Quote from: Buffalo on August 18, 2015, 07:32:39 AM
You may want to remove the shield from the open side, not sure the bearing would get adequate oiling with both sides essentially closed.
jm2c  Buffalo
Interesting thought.
I will look at the bearings as they come in Friday.
Anyone heard of this before.
That's why I didn't get the sealed units.
Felt that mechanical shields could allow fluid in.

JC 92FXRS

Quote from: FSG on August 18, 2015, 12:18:20 AM
Quote from: JC 92FXRS on August 17, 2015, 09:58:26 AM
Cheers, Jeff

:up:  sure does

Thank you very much!
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"