May 02, 2024, 10:45:53 AM

News:

Jims Timken Insert

Started by D-1, December 07, 2015, 08:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John D

I am happy to see it has now been documented on the internet that I am straight - so thats great news (my wife will also be happy to hear this)!

I will also clarify that we have found very few out of alignment greater than .001" but I will also state that H-D does NOT line bore cases in manufacturing process since the double tapered Timken bearing was abandoned in OEM cases in 2002.  We do believe that you need a resolution when you do find a case over .0015"    In this business, we must verify tolerances because if you do not, results can be catastrophic!  Deal with many every year that steel insert comes loose or pinion bearing walks out.  Not saying it is always insert issue, allot of times it certainly can be installation issue?  Not always a lot of evidence to say what happened 1st?  We do believe there can be thermodynamic issue as there is a bit of a trend to steel insert issues.

H-D manufacturing also quit using the retaining clip for right side bearing at that same time figuring there would not be lateral pressure against pinion bearing.

Which is true to a degree, but, when we lock down left side bearing upgrading to a Timken bearing, any alignment issues (inc any run-out on crankshaft) put a majority of pressure on right side bearing and that creates the opportunity for that bearing to walk.  We have been utilizing a clip for many years and believe very strongly it is an inexpensive insurance policy against possibility for right side bearing to walk.

We have been doing this procedure for over 10 years and just now this is being discussed?

John Dahmer - Darkhorse Crankworks GM

No Cents

thanks for the info John!  :up:
you are the man!

Also...thanks for the Christmas card I got the other day.
I wish you and your family a merry Christmas...and a happy New Years.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

04 SE Deuce

There ya go "straight" from the Darkhorse's mouth.

Seriously John thanks for the response/info.  -Rick