May 02, 2024, 11:29:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Main bearing walk protection

Started by gabbyduffy, December 12, 2015, 10:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabbyduffy

What is the industry standard to protect the main shaft bearing from walking on a set of late style cases. The cases are from 09 and the MoCo did not start installing the screws in the case yet to prevent walking.
       Does anybody have the measurement as to where to drill and tap for a screw and what size screw and style would be great also? 

Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

KingofCubes

I use 1/4" button heads, I have a jig fixture for locating, just put them as close to bore as possible.

Tattoo

"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

rbabos

I also used two button head allen screws. Made a small drill and tap fixture to position the holes 180* apart, horizontal,  so the outer edge of the screw was about 1/16"+ inside the bearing bore when installed. This gave plenty of meat for the threads. 1/4-20 I think they were.  If it shears those off, you have other issues to deal with. Insufficient bearing press most common cause.
Ron

speedzter

It's interesting that the 99-06 Screamin' eagle "A" cases don't have the button screws  ?

FSG

Quotewhy was there a problem?  :wink:   

they could have made the oil pump housing to stop that   :wink:

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Tattoo on December 12, 2015, 10:05:40 AM
why was there a problem?  :wink:

Looks like the cam plate was moving on the case also..

gabbyduffy

January 01, 2016, 03:01:08 PM #7 Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:52:14 PM by gabbyduffy

What year cases are these, that the bearing walked over that far?

Wicked

Quote from: FSG on December 12, 2015, 09:44:12 PM
Quotewhy was there a problem?  :wink:   

they could have made the oil pump housing to stop that   :wink:

Not with the resident bean counters....  :wink: !!
Paul

N-gin

Why not three bolts..just seems better that way. Why only two? Just seems like it will allow it to rock with only 2
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

1FSTRK

Quote from: N-gin on January 01, 2016, 11:48:27 PM
Why not three bolts..just seems better that way. Why only two? Just seems like it will allow it to rock with only 2

If the race can rock in the case bore you have bigger problems.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

N-gin

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 02, 2016, 05:16:00 AM

That's my point once it moves its going to start rocking.  Why not three?  Just seems like it will hold the race more evenly.
We are trying to prevent the rock in the first place right?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Tattoo

Quote from: gabbyduffy on January 01, 2016, 03:01:08 PM

the bike was a 2010 FLHX and the customer is deaf and could not hear the noise and continued to ride the bike until it quit.

gabbyduffy

Quote from: Tattoo on January 02, 2016, 06:37:13 AM
Quote from: gabbyduffy on January 01, 2016, 03:01:08 PM

the bike was a 2010 FLHX and the customer is deaf and could not hear the noise and continued to ride the bike until it quit.
Was the motor stock, or was it beefed up? the runout must have been threw the roof, did you check it? my bearing boss on my 09 is huge, hard to believe the bearing could have walked that far. I'm betting in 2010 HD went with a shorter boss and once they discovered the bearing were walking is when they added the screws. I also bet that the chances for the bearing to walk in a 09 and down are slim to none, which means the only problem year was the 2010's.

Tattoo

January 02, 2016, 03:09:14 PM #14 Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:11:33 PM by Tattoo
Motor was stock and checking runout would not have been accuarate in that condition. I think you will find the cases were the same in 2010 and 2009 and I have seen bearings walk on other years as well.

FSG

QuoteI think you will find the cases were the same in 2010 and 2009

:up:

Cases P/N 24621-06        introduced with the 2006 Dynas

Cases P/N 24621-06A      introduced in 2007

Cases P/N 24621-06B      introduced in 2011 , these are the cases that have the bearing retainer

gabbyduffy

So if the bearing depth changed between 2011 and 2010 did the thrust washer that sets the correct depth of the bearing race change as well? If the bearing depth changed then so would the bearing race depth...... wouldn't you think?

gabbyduffy

January 02, 2016, 08:47:26 PM #17 Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:23:58 PM by gabbyduffy
      Yep two different part numbers for the crank between 2010 and 2011. Seeing that the stock crank already has the thrust washer and race installed its not a big deal. But if you put in an aftermarket crank and you decide to use the lefty bearing I would think that the proper size thrush washer and bearing placement would be important.
      Are there 2 different size thrust washers that you can buy. there would need to be two different lefty bearing kits as well. one for pre 2011 and one for after.

Add On........ After looking over the crank, the lefty bearing thrust washers would not matter because the change was on the pinion side not the sprocket side. The pinion side race is large enough to pretty much set the bearing depth any where you want with in reason.
                      Still wonder why the different part number for the crank between 2010 and 2011. I wonder what the reason was for changing "the case height for clearance" in 2011? wonder what would happen if you set the bearing to the 2011 specs and used the 2010 crank, would there be clearance issues between the inner case and crank?

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 02, 2016, 05:16:00 AM

Well IMO it does rock or more for me, it walks.. Under heavy load the bearing is slowly pushed out of the case with due to a miss alignment of the flywheel shafts.. Not sure more than 2 screws are needed tho..

rbabos

I also say if that bearing walks or rocks with .004 interference fit there are big issues. I'd bet any of them that walk have next to no press fit once the case expands from heat. I know when I did my 120, it was the second bearing change and it only had .002 left. IIRC , that was the minimum allowed. The screws were added for insurance at that point.
Ron

lisab

Quote from: gabbyduffy on January 02, 2016, 08:47:26 PM
      Yep two different part numbers for the crank between 2010 and 2011. Seeing that the stock crank already has the thrust washer and race installed its not a big deal. But if you put in an aftermarket crank and you decide to use the lefty bearing I would think that the proper size thrush washer and bearing placement would be important.
      Are there 2 different size thrust washers that you can buy. there would need to be two different lefty bearing kits as well. one for pre 2011 and one for after.

Add On........ After looking over the crank, the lefty bearing thrust washers would not matter because the change was on the pinion side not the sprocket side. The pinion side race is large enough to pretty much set the bearing depth any where you want with in reason.
                      Still wonder why the different part number for the crank between 2010 and 2011. I wonder what the reason was for changing "the case height for clearance" in 2011? wonder what would happen if you set the bearing to the 2011 specs and used the 2010 crank, would there be clearance issues between the inner case and crank?

I believe the crank change was the elimination of the bronze wrist pin bushings for the connecting rods.

gabbyduffy

Quote from: lisab on January 03, 2016, 11:17:02 AM
Quote from: gabbyduffy on January 02, 2016, 08:47:26 PM

I believe the crank change was the elimination of the bronze wrist pin bushings for the connecting rods.
............ :up:

FSG

HD/Wrench

you can swap crank no issues , stock or after market , Run the lefty on both sides all the time. We are then using a better crank S&S ,  but the area the bearing runs on is not something that is a issue they all fit. I have had customers bring me older crank with bushing for newer case. We swap bearings , install crank seal case..  I have only seen pictures of the bearing walking out. Even with some that have had huge runout ..

KingofCubes

Quote from: FSG on January 02, 2016, 06:15:29 PM
QuoteI think you will find the cases were the same in 2010 and 2009

:up:

Cases P/N 24621-06        introduced with the 2006 Dynas

Cases P/N 24621-06A      introduced in 2007

Cases P/N 24621-06B      introduced in 2011 , these are the cases that have the bearing retainer

I don't care for this bearing positioning. I run the bearing as close inward towards engine centerline as possible. Even though I install the two button heads in every case, I set the depth of the bearing as far away from the retainers as possible. The reason is I have witnessed bearing race fretting the farther out the bearing is from center. Even though I retain the bearing, I have never seen one walk out to the button heads yet.