May 02, 2024, 04:15:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Smack-A-Hoe 124

Started by turboprop, January 08, 2016, 05:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwmorris

Just saw some preliminary early tuning numbers from this 124" Bad Boy...
Oh, "Potty mouth", it's wicked.
Stay tuned-

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

turboprop

February 20, 2018, 04:48:21 AM #227 Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:03:14 AM by turboprop
Update; Clutch basket broke into two pieces yesterday. Was going about 90 through a slight curve when the rear wheel locked. Good times. The primary chain broke in two places, broke the inner primary case which dumped oil on the back tire, basket broke apart.

Calling Bandit Machine today to get one of their steel Super Clutch baskets. I have a couple Delkron inner primary cases tucked away for such an emergency and a new Diamond primary chain on the shelf. Front compensator is probably going to get replaced with a solid unit from Vulcan. Will also replace the center hub on the Sportsman clutch.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

Well, I'm glad your here able to write about that Ed, that could have been a serious disaster for you personally. It stinks about the bike, but as you have a plan to make it stronger already, it'll be fine and come back better than it was.

Did the rear wheel stay locked, or break free after the initial explosion subsided?

Billy

I bet that was an o "Potty mouth" moment. Glad you kept it upright
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Nastytls

Wow, that's one hell of a failure. Parts can be replaced, people...not so much.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 20, 2018, 05:04:32 AM
Well, I'm glad your here able to write about that Ed, that could have been a serious disaster for you personally. It stinks about the bike, but as you have a plan to make it stronger already, it'll be fine and come back better than it was.

Did the rear wheel stay locked, or break free after the initial explosion subsided?

I rode it out for awhile, the skid mark was a good 200' and swerved across the road a few times. At some point the rear wheel did break free. Was on a back country road when it happened. Good thing there was no oncoming traffic as the event ended on the side of the other lane. Crazy.

rigidthumper

WOW- Your guardian angel is prolly drinking heavily today ;).
Did any of the chunks nick your stator? Hate for you to get it all back together, only to find out the charging system is shorted.
Glad you are OK!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

turboprop

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 20, 2018, 05:20:21 AM
WOW- Your guardian angel is prolly drinking heavily today ;).
Did any of the chunks nick your stator? Hate for you to get it all back together, only to find out the charging system is shorted.
Glad you are OK!

Good question. Have not pulled it down that far, but should probably remove the stator, wash it out and take some measurements just to make sure its alright. Damm it. Possibly one more expensive piece to pile.

No Cents

that had to be one hell of a scary ride.
Ed...I'm glad your okay!
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on February 20, 2018, 05:13:03 AM

I rode it out for awhile, the skid mark was a good 200' and swerved across the road a few times. At some point the rear wheel did break free. Was on a back country road when it happened. Good thing there was no oncoming traffic as the event ended on the side of the other lane. Crazy.

I hear you on the on coming, I went down once, too hot into a right hand, was gravel all over, crossed the on coming and went off into the ditch. I bet when you finally stopped, it was a feeling like, did that really just happen.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 20, 2018, 05:32:26 AM
Quote from: turboprop on February 20, 2018, 05:13:03 AM

I hear you on the on coming, I went down once, too hot into a right hand, was gravel all over, crossed the on coming and went off into the ditch. I bet when you finally stopped, it was a feeling like, did that really just happen.

I was more pissed than anything. Was on the way to meet some friends to tear up the countryside. Instead it turned into a save the whale type of day. Was an hour away from them, and two hours away from home, literally in the middle of nowhere, but right in front of a large farm house in which the occupants all came outside carry long guns. You know, just because.

Riding it out didnt seem like a big deal at the time. The oil doused the rear wheel pretty good and it just slid. Surprised the police didnt come to investigate and give me a ticket for spilling oil all over the road.

Looking forward to the new steel basket from Bandit as well as the solid front sprocket and the rear tire needed replaced anyways. The real downer in all of this is the FXR inner primary case. Like ocean front property, they aren't making any more. Its about time for Billy at STD to cowboy up. 

Nastytls

No chance that it could be repaired? Maybe not the prettiest, but if it's functional...

HD/Wrench

I sheared the shaft off the trans on my old 124.. But did it on the leave .. and it did not do much other ,..than a mess on the ground but lucky I was not moving.. Sounds like you had one hell of a ride .. Glad to hear your ok   no damage to engine case ??

Hossamania

Geez that sounds like most riders' nightmare. Glad you came out ok.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Quote from: Nastytls on February 20, 2018, 05:55:55 AM
No chance that it could be repaired? Maybe not the prettiest, but if it's functional...

Maybe. Not by me and wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone that could. Its a $300 part. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.

turboprop

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on February 20, 2018, 05:57:54 AM
I sheared the shaft off the trans on my old 124.. But did it on the leave .. and it did not do much other ,..than a mess on the ground but lucky I was not moving.. Sounds like you had one hell of a ride .. Glad to hear your ok   no damage to engine case ??

Engine case and crankshaft look perfect, but have not put a dial indicator on the crank yet.

turboprop

Quote from: Hossamania on February 20, 2018, 06:14:12 AM
Geez that sounds like most riders' nightmare. Glad you came out ok.

Thanks.

JC 92FXRS

As others have said... really glad you came out of that!  :smiled:  :up:
Must have made a nice racket when it all came apart. The rest of the bike faired pretty well, by the look of it.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Will-Run

You were definitely, not " flying alone " that day.  :up: :up:
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

choseneasy

Yikes!!
  I dont know how common an outer basket breaking is? Do u think it was a poor cast or just a matter of hp?
  Good job keeping it up.

turboprop

Quote from: choseneasy on February 20, 2018, 08:29:35 AM
Yikes!!
  I dont know how common an outer basket breaking is? Do u think it was a poor cast or just a matter of hp?
  Good job keeping it up.

I think it was a combination of power (153 HP SAE) and maniac behind the bars. I beat this bike pretty hard, hence the twin 320mm BrakeTech rotors and killer suspension. I have already put two mainsheets into the transmission. It was just a matter of time. 

turboprop

Update; I just spoke with John at Bandit Machine, a new SuperClutch will only set me back $1,500.00. Nothing from my existing Bandit Sportsman clutch will transfer over. Dam.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Sportsman clutch '98 and up BT, was only used on Sundays by a little old lady to go to church?

choseneasy

Reminds me of a time back in the early 90's where a mechanic at a harley shop was showing me a Bandit ( if I remember correctly) clutch he was putting in his bike. He made me laugh when he said the chances of breaking this clutch are like the chances of catching flesh eating disease.( there was a big scare about it at that time in the news constantly)
First one I heard of since blowing up, lol.
  I had no doubt there was abuse involved, always glad to see someone that ain't scared to beat them up.
  I'll pass on the used clutch, lol

turboprop

The little Sportsman clutch had up just fine. It was the Harley OEM cast basket that let go.

If not to pound on, what is point of having one of these?