May 02, 2024, 11:34:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

110"/117" Bolt On Kits

Started by Tattoo, May 17, 2016, 04:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FSTRK

July 10, 2016, 02:01:33 PM #125 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:15:34 PM by FSG
Quote from: K4FXD on July 10, 2016, 08:17:50 AM
Can these jugs be bought separately? Will they fit the 88 CI cases?

4 inch bore 4 inch stroke. I know I'd need pistons for the stroke, reason for asking if the jugs are available.

There may be an issue with the piston skirt hitting a boss in the early cases at the bottom of the stroke, i still do not have a definitive answer on the this point.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,91152.msg1049282.html#msg1049282
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

NHBagger

[/quote]
Since this was brought up, what is the CR of the 110 kit with a .030?  I have seen 10.2, 10.5 and 10.75 for numbers?  In my case, talking wethead.  Curious as I will be running TTS100 cams, and not sure how much compression they can handle before the CCP gets too high.
[/quote]

Anyone??

TorQuePimp

about 10.8

This question has already been answered 

ReapersWG

So I've been reading all the posts and I'm unsure if this kit will work for me. I'm running the old stage 4 kit with SE 110 plus heads. With a 95cc chamber this cylinder and pistons kit won't work and as I've read the SE 10.5 pistons don't work in this kit. So what are my options other than milling my heads so much they'd be junk if I ever went bigger. Sounds like I might as well bore my cases and go 117. Any thoughts or suggestions?

rigidthumper

Either an expensive 117 or, for less $, Suburban Speed offers a 107 high compression piston for the 110+ heads (have yours ported) and add a better matching cam for a nice bump.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FSG

Quote from: K4FXD on July 10, 2016, 08:17:50 AM
Can these jugs be bought separately? Will they fit the 88 CI cases?

4 inch bore 4 inch stroke. I know I'd need pistons for the stroke, reason for asking if the jugs are available.

a lot of $$$$ for 6 cubes if your at 95cu" now and if not then just go 98cu"

bwernicke

Quote from: bwernicke on July 09, 2016, 10:40:29 AM
I've got one of these kits installed with a dark horse bottom end. While riding from Chicago to Memphis my wife and I noticed a vibration in the footboard we have never felt in 80k miles of riding. By the time we got to a local Harley dealer we barely had any oil pressure.

The dealer was closing and would not even look at it. They are assuming the crank walked causing the drop in oil pressure.

The dealership that completed the build is on their way here with a loaner bike and will take mine back home. I'll update this thread as I hear back. Specs on my build can be found in the dyno forum.

I am pretty disappointed. I spent quite a bit on this build but I also appreciate the customer service from the Harley dealership that did the build. They are doing the right thing here for sure.

As an update to this I talked to the dealership this morning. The main bearing (right) walked. The Timken conversion was done on the left.

This right main Bearing walking cracked the oil pump, and pretty much destroyed everything in the cam chest possibly including the cases.

With all that destruction in the cam chest the entire top end of the motor was also destroyed from the metal debris.

Yikes. Can that main bearing be secured?

Tattoo

yes it can that is why I was asking if Darkhorse installed the crank or not.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Barrett

Quote from: bwernicke on July 12, 2016, 10:33:14 AM
Quote from: bwernicke on July 09, 2016, 10:40:29 AM
I've got one of these kits installed with a dark horse bottom end. While riding from Chicago to Memphis my wife and I noticed a vibration in the footboard we have never felt in 80k miles of riding. By the time we got to a local Harley dealer we barely had any oil pressure.

The dealer was closing and would not even look at it. They are assuming the crank walked causing the drop in oil pressure.

The dealership that completed the build is on their way here with a loaner bike and will take mine back home. I'll update this thread as I hear back. Specs on my build can be found in the dyno forum.

I am pretty disappointed. I spent quite a bit on this build but I also appreciate the customer service from the Harley dealership that did the build. They are doing the right thing here for sure.

As an update to this I talked to the dealership this morning. The main bearing (right) walked. The Timken conversion was done on the left.

This right main Bearing walking cracked the oil pump, and pretty much destroyed everything in the cam chest possibly including the cases.

With all that destruction in the cam chest the entire top end of the motor was also destroyed from the metal debris.

Yikes. Can that main bearing be secured?
There's a good reason my parts are still in boxes.. I said I wanted that bearing secured and the guy who would be doing the Timken conversion said he never saw a problem with that bearing walking and didn't do anything with it. That was after I saw the pics of them walking. I'm about ready to sell all of it and by another Ninja..

m1marty

I had Randy at KOC do my bottom end. Along with the Timken, he installed a Lefty bearing on the right side and installed some retaining screws to hold it in place. Seeing the above posts make me glad I opted to do that.
OFFO

Good_Apollo

Quote from: m1marty on July 12, 2016, 11:03:11 AM
I had Randy at KOC do my bottom end. Along with the Timken, he installed a Lefty bearing on the right side and installed some retaining screws to hold it in place. Seeing the above posts make me glad I opted to do that.

Amen to that, I'm going to do a build with this 110 drop in kit, but I am just going to send my whole lower end to DH and have them do everything, piece of mind especially after reading the above. Pretty sad, sounds like the rest of the build was solid.

bwernicke

Quote from: Good_Apollo on July 12, 2016, 11:27:15 AM

Amen to that, I'm going to do a build with this 110 drop in kit, but I am just going to send my whole lower end to DH and have them do everything, piece of mind especially after reading the above. Pretty sad, sounds like the rest of the build was solid.

Yeah I just confirmed that the Harley dealer did the Timken conversion, not Darkhorse.

It is sad. This dealer has been great to work with. I'll be curious to see how this all turns out.

Cvoharleyrider

Likely dealer did not check line bore of cases before installing Timken

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tattoo

Quote from: Cvoharleyrider on July 12, 2016, 11:43:36 AM

Customer isn't sure if the Dealer or Darkhorse did the Timken conversion. I will say I have many Darkhorse timken conversions on the road with not one issue.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Tattoo on July 12, 2016, 02:18:22 PM
Quote from: Cvoharleyrider on July 12, 2016, 11:43:36 AM

Customer isn't sure if the Dealer or Darkhorse did the Timken conversion. I will say I have many Darkhorse timken conversions on the road with not one issue.

Quote from: bwernicke on July 12, 2016, 11:32:41 AM
Quote from: Good_Apollo on July 12, 2016, 11:27:15 AM

Yeah I just confirmed that the Harley dealer did the Timken conversion, not Darkhorse.

It is sad. This dealer has been great to work with. I'll be curious to see how this all turns out.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Tattoo

well that answers the question and they should be 100% responsible. 

mike jesse

Per the above instruction sheet, #92500050 would get me the 117 pistons, rings, and cylinders in black.

FSG

prodrag1320

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 11, 2016, 10:10:12 AM
Either an expensive 117 or, for less $, Suburban Speed offers a 107 high compression piston for the 110+ heads (have yours ported) and add a better matching cam for a nice bump.

we also have high compression 107" piston kits for 110 heads

Don D

July 13, 2016, 01:40:56 PM #144 Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:49:23 PM by HD Street Performance
Quote from: ReapersWG on July 11, 2016, 08:08:59 AM
So I've been reading all the posts and I'm unsure if this kit will work for me. I'm running the old stage 4 kit with SE 110 plus heads. With a 95cc chamber this cylinder and pistons kit won't work and as I've read the SE 10.5 pistons don't work in this kit. So what are my options other than milling my heads so much they'd be junk if I ever went bigger. Sounds like I might as well bore my cases and go 117. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I stock Diamond Racing coated 4032 10cc domed pistons for the 117

strokerjlk

Quote from: bwernicke on July 09, 2016, 11:56:57 AM
Darkhorse Bottom End including the Following:

DH-2164-BRG BRG.SET, CONN.ROD ROLLER
DH-7670 T/C COMP. CONN. ROD SET
DH-HDPIN-A CRANKPIN,2-HOLE, CENTOLS.GR
DH-SC-B SERVICE CRANKSHAFT W/BAL
DHC-PP PRO PLUG CRANKSHAFT
DHC-RCSS CENTER OE SPR. SHAFT, 07+
DHC-WELD WELD CRANKPIN

That was the description of work done by dark horse. I'm not sure what all of those descriptions mean.
The oil pump that was installed by the dealership was from zippers.
Curious . Who wanted the bottom end done on a drop in kit, dealership ? Or was it something you wanted ?
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

bwernicke

July 14, 2016, 04:09:00 AM #146 Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:12:53 AM by bwernicke
Quote from: strokerjlk on July 14, 2016, 04:00:00 AM

DHC-WELD WELD CRANKPIN

That was the description of work done by dark horse. I'm not sure what all of those descriptions mean.
Curious . Who wanted the bottom end done on a drop in kit, dealership ? Or was it something you wanted ?

The stock bottom end was also slowly failing with the crank walking. The dealership would not upgrade the top without checking the bottom. The motor company contributed about $3k in warranty money to address the bottom end issues.

I am no expert and i instructed the dealer to make the decisions for the build. The requirements I gave them were torque for 2 up riding on long road trips along with reliability. I spent approximately $11k on the build in addition to the money provided by Harley.

As a side note, the dealership did the right thing when this broke down. They delivered me a 2015 ultra (as a loaner) from Woodstock Illinois to cape girardo, Missouri (a 6 hour drive) and took my bike back with them. I was able to finish my trip.

strokerjlk

Quote from: bwernicke on July 14, 2016, 04:09:00 AM
Quote from: strokerjlk on July 14, 2016, 04:00:00 AM

DHC-WELD WELD CRANKPIN

The stock bottom end was also slowly failing with the crank walking. The dealership would not upgrade the top without checking the bottom. The motor company contributed about $3k in warranty money to address the bottom end issues.

I am no expert and i instructed the dealer to make the decisions for the build. The requirements I gave them were torque for 2 up riding on long road trips along with reliability. I spent approximately $11k on the build in addition to the money provided by Harley.

As a side note, the dealership did the right thing when this broke down. They delivered me a 2015 ultra (as a loaner) from Woodstock Illinois to cape girardo, Missouri (a 6 hour drive) and took my bike back with them. I was able to finish my trip.
Thank you . Maybe discuss a 120 ST replacement with the dealership . Everyone would be money ahead , and the lefty bearing is secured already .14,000 for a drop in 110/117 kit , is ridiculous . I can see them stepping up .
Good luck whatever happens .

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

IronMike113

Wow that is INSANE for that kind of money......  :emsad:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Tattoo

"14,000 for a drop in 110/117 kit , is ridiculous"

I would really like to see where those numbers are coming from. :scratch: