May 09, 2024, 03:18:04 AM

News:

2013 Road Glide trans dipstick

Started by 89 fxrs, September 08, 2016, 06:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89 fxrs

a friend of mine has a factory shop manual for a 2009 Road Glide and it says do not  screw in the dip stick when checking the trans fluid level, another friend has a factory shop manual for a 2012 Road Glide and it says to screw the dipstick in to check the trans level - I thought they would all pretty much be the same and was wondering why  they are different - I'd like to know what procedure would be used to check the trans fluid on a 2013 Road Glide - thanks guys
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Ohio HD

2013 service manual say screw it in. 2013 also says 28 oz of lube.

2009 service manual says 32 oz. and do not screw in.

89 fxrs

89 fxrs

Should it be upright or on the kick stand?

Ohio HD

aussie123

Anyone know what changed , re tranny from earlier models to later models ???... ie ,,, Is the dipstick shorter on the later models ????   Is the case that holds tranny fluid different on the later models ???

FSG

kd

It appears the dip stick on the new trans dip stick is plastic and swivels. I wonder if that design came out of the ones that broke and took out the gear set?
KD

chaos901

I believe that the "swivel" on the dipstick is for it to hang vertical when checked on the side stand.  Similar to the oil dipstick.  Just a guess though.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

bigfoot5x

2013 StreetGlide Owners manual. Does not have the dipstick in the picture. Instructions say check on jiffy stand parked on level ground.  If changing fluid, pour in 28 ounces and then check the fluid level. Screw in dipstick until "O" ring touches the case. Check the level and add fluid so that level is between the "A" and the "F".

FloridaJim5

Ok, I have a '13 Ultra and I've always use the service manual.   Something didn't sound right so I checked both the service manual and the owner's manual. 

Here's the issue: 

The service manual says, "Place back in filler hole but do not thread in. Filler plug/dipstick should rest on top of threads".  It also says, the transmission capacity is appoximately 32 oz. 

The Owner's Manual says, "Insert the dipstick into transmission. Thread dipstick in until O-ring makes contact with case.  Do not tighten."    Refill quantity is 28 oz. 

So, which one is correct?   Resting on threads or screw in until it touches o-ring????    :scratch:   

Jammer53

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on September 11, 2016, 08:15:12 AM
Ok, I have a '13 Ultra and I've always use the service manual.   Something didn't sound right so I checked both the service manual and the owner's manual. 

Here's the issue: 

The service manual says, "Place back in filler hole but do not thread in. Filler plug/dipstick should rest on top of threads".  It also says, the transmission capacity is appoximately 32 oz. 

The Owner's Manual says, "Insert the dipstick into transmission. Thread dipstick in until O-ring makes contact with case.  Do not tighten."    Refill quantity is 28 oz. 

So, which one is correct?   Resting on threads or screw in until it touches o-ring????    :scratch:

For the HD service manual to say one thing, and the owners manual to say something else, for the same bike, is totally unacceptable from a quality control standpoint.

I would call your local HD and ask the service manager if it were me.
The internet is full of Kowardly Keyboard Kommandos

FloridaJim5

Quote from: Jammer53 on September 11, 2016, 09:26:09 AM
Quote from: FloridaJim5 on September 11, 2016, 08:15:12 AM

Here's the issue: 

For the HD service manual to say one thing, and the owners manual to say something else, for the same bike, is totally unacceptable from a quality control standpoint.

I would call your local HD and ask the service manager if it were me.

Maybe one of the dealer techs will chime in.   

However, if I'm checking it per service manual, at least I'm not under-filling it.  And, I don't get any pushed out the vent.