April 30, 2024, 09:15:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Looking to make (CVO) 110 heads kinder to valve train ? 2008 - 2016 models

Started by GunShyKennedy, November 11, 2016, 01:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunShyKennedy

There's plenty written here and elsewhere about the valve springs in the 110 heads being over strong for the task with stock or cams up to .600" lift. I'd like to try and improve the reliability/longevity, given the suggested weakness in this area.
Consider the heads stock as a rock with engine in warranty.

Is there a genuine HD spring set which will fit and address that issue? Like beehive springs from a 103?
Please, in your reply, be specific, parts numbers would be appreciated.

A change of lifters to one of the respected offerings, such as S&S or Hilift Johnsons, etc. is a given.
I understand that they can be considered a maintenance replacement anyway.

A set of Rocker Lockers simply as a precaution.

Any other improvements to increase longevity and reliability?
Not looking to exceed 6,000rpm or other fun abuses.
Thanks.
cheers,
richo

wfolarry

There are no Beehive spring kits from the MOCO for the 5/16 valves that are in the 110.
If you're willing to change lifters to something non HD why not the springs too?
If you go with S&S for the lifters they sell the Beehive springs too.
There are other options out there too.  :wink:

GunShyKennedy

Thanks Larry, your input is valued. ( I had a squizzy @ the SE Catalog, figured I might've missed something, hence the initial question)
With an engine under factory warranty, there's a limit to what a bloke can do. It's not MY willingness per se  :wink:

Am I on the right track to consider different lighter valve springs in an effort to reduce the stress the valve train is under, provided I'm not using a cam bigger than .600"?

I've a set of modified MVA heads with all the right gear, but the time isn't right, not right now.

cheers,
richo

Don D

The CVO springs are ~160lb on the seat. Most beehives are not less than that. Spring rates are a little lower however.

GunShyKennedy

Quote from: HD Street Performance on November 11, 2016, 07:23:02 PM
The CVO springs are ~160lb on the seat. Most beehives are not less than that. Spring rates are a little lower however.

So I'm not on the right track, if I changed to beehive springs? Inasmuch as the slight advantage is the over the nose weight?

I'm considering AV&V VSK600S. Beehive springs, 5/16" for cams up to .600" lift
600"   165lbs @ 1.860"   384 lbs @ 1.250"

According to the 2016 Softail Service Manual.... for specifications at 1.800, v 1.860 for the AV&V

cheers,
richo

TorQuePimp

GunShyKennedy

Quote from: TorQuePimp on November 11, 2016, 11:27:13 PM
The set of new 2015 cvo110 springs is a bit more that that

Now this is confusing.

The image (with valve spring pressure) I posted was direct from the 2016 Service Manual.
You're saying the 2015 is a bit more than the 2016?
All the part numbers related to valves and springs are the same for 2015 and 2016.

Anyone care to offer clarity?

cheers,
richo

wfolarry

Make it easy on yourself. The only springs I don't like are the ones with the flat wire damper. Use any double spring with an interference fit & put some good lifters in there & you won't have any problems.

Don D

November 12, 2016, 06:54:13 AM #8 Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:13:59 AM by HD Street Performance
Quote from: GunShyKennedy on November 11, 2016, 08:31:55 PM
Quote from: HD Street Performance on November 11, 2016, 07:23:02 PM

So I'm not on the right track, if I changed to beehive springs? Inasmuch as the slight advantage is the over the nose weight?

I'm considering AV&V VSK600S. Beehive springs, 5/16" for cams up to .600" lift
600"   165lbs @ 1.860"   384 lbs @ 1.250"

According to the 2016 Softail Service Manual.... for specifications at 1.800, v 1.860 for the AV&V

Sounds good when they are new but what happens when they run a while. ~160 lbs seat and ~ 450 open (.600) @ stock spring pack height. these are actual measurements I took on a calibrated Rimac. I happen to have 10 sets at least in my scrap pail. Reality also is they do not set in at 1.8 with stock untouched heads and valves, those are just checking dimensions. The beehives you cite are just not that different, with respect to pressure, from stock but the design is a huge improvement.
Larry provided good advise.  I have also been using conicals which are designed for a 1.800 installed height.

No Cents

Don...what brand conical spring are you talking about? ...and I'm assuming your talking about one that comes set up for a 5/16" valve.
Would you care to share the part numbers for the springs, retainers, keepers, etc that you are talking about.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Don D

The springs are Comp, the retainers Manley, and the lower spring collars are Manley or Comp depending on what I need for spring pack height. I modify the lower spring collars sometimes to gain a little more spring pack height, depends on the valve job and valves used and gross lift.
No numbers because not every application is the same.

No Cents

I called Comp sometime ago and tried to order a set of springs. The guy I talked to said they didn't make a conical spring for the HD application. I gave him some part #'s off this list and the guy said it wasn't what I needed.  :scratch:

[attach=0]

I was reading him the part numbers from this page of Comp's conical springs. He again told me they sell no conical spring for a Harley application. I gave up because we seemed to be going nowhere.
  From everything I could read the conical springs seemed like they would work great in a HD application if they were set up properly.  :nix:

Ray

Frédéric CM

Didn't PAC springs have some true conical springs out that can work for HD ?

Don D

Quote from: No Cents on November 12, 2016, 08:23:23 AM
I called Comp sometime ago and tried to order a set of springs. The guy I talked to said they didn't make a conical spring for the HD application. I gave him some part #'s off this list and the guy said it wasn't what I needed.  :scratch:

[attach=0]

I was reading him the part numbers from this page of Comp's conical springs. He again told me they sell no conical spring for a Harley application. I gave up because we seemed to be going nowhere.
  From everything I could read the conical springs seemed like they would work great in a HD application if they were set up properly.  :nix:

Ray
Ray now you know why I am not publishing numbers because this stuff is made for BBC and Chevrolet LS and HD. A mix match with additional work needed. Guys want a kit they can buy from the lowest cost source on the net. This stuff just doesn't fit the model.
Goodson beehives works for the rest.

GunShyKennedy

Quote from: wfolarry on November 12, 2016, 06:31:42 AM
Make it easy on yourself. The only springs I don't like are the ones with the flat wire damper. Use any double spring with an interference fit & put some good lifters in there & you won't have any problems.

Thanks Larry, much appreciated.
I don't understand the interference fit.

The AV&V springs, either beehive singles or double springs ( VSK600S ) will do the business then.
Fortunately I can buy these locally, in Australia.
Thanks again.

cheers,
richo

-deuced-

Quote from: GunShyKennedy on November 12, 2016, 01:40:23 PM
Quote from: wfolarry on November 12, 2016, 06:31:42 AM

I also don't understand the interference fit. What, you want the inner and outer springs to be rubbing on each other?  :scratch:

Thanks Larry, much appreciated.
I don't understand the interference fit.

The AV&V springs, either beehive singles or double springs ( VSK600S ) will do the business then.
Fortunately I can buy these locally, in Australia.
Thanks again.

TorQuePimp

Quote from: No Cents on November 12, 2016, 08:23:23 AM

[attach=0]

Ray

none of those springs have the correct spring rate or installed height for a harley

there is also a decided lack of retainers for them.....possibly because they really were not designed with harleys in mind

Dual springs without dampners are nothing new....the better quality,smaller diameter ones sold thru manley,comp,pac that were designed for the GM LS engine are just about perfect for a harley twin cam.

you dont want the springs tight together to where you have to pull them out....generally they can be pulled apart easily but the inner spring should not fall out if you pick the assembly up.

Don D

November 13, 2016, 04:24:50 AM #17 Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:49:03 AM by HD Street Performance
none of those springs have the correct spring rate or installed height for a harley

there is also a decided lack of retainers for them.....possibly because they really were not designed with harleys in mind

They have been working great for me.
One set is on Joshes Dyna (2006FXDCI) and that one sees the strip regularly. 2" intake 1.61 exhaust. He also reports it is very quiet.
PAC has retainers for the 5/16 stems
The retainers are around but they are expensive. So are the lower collars.

But we digress
Want to run Harley springs that will work
Order 18209-06 146#seat@1.800 350 spring rate, dual with no flat damper
Rated max lift is .585, YMMV needs to be checked for coil bind

aswracing

We run Comp Cams conicals on lots of the heads that go out of our shop, in 7mm stems. There's no reason they can't be used on a Harley, we do it every day.

They're amazing springs, really noticeably better than a beehive. I was just astonished the first time we tested them. Made 132hp at 8000 rpm on 78ci, and the valvetrain was stable, with only fractionally more pressure than we had been using. They really are an advancement in spring technology. Since that day, we've been phasing out our use of PAC & AV&V in the top shelf applications.

aswracing

Don D

:up: :up:
Lightening up the valve train helps too.
These are 2.12" 7MM nail heads

aswracing

Quote from: HD Street Performance on November 13, 2016, 05:54:47 AM
:up: :up:
Lightening up the valve train helps too.
These are 2.12" 7MM nail heads

Good stuff!

Is that a shelf part or a custom?

No Cents

Quote from: aswracing on November 13, 2016, 05:20:58 AM
We run Comp Cams conicals on lots of the heads that go out of our shop, in 7mm stems. There's no reason they can't be used on a Harley, we do it every day.

They're amazing springs, really noticeably better than a beehive. I was just astonished the first time we tested them. Made 132hp at 8000 rpm on 78ci, and the valvetrain was stable, with only fractionally more pressure than we had been using. They really are an advancement in spring technology. Since that day, we've been phasing out our use of PAC & AV&V in the top shelf applications.

that's the kind of info I like hearing. You tested the conical springs...and the results of it sound very impressive to me.
Thanks for sharing aswracing!  :up:
  From all the research I did on them I found this interesting info on the conical springs...it seems that all the Nascar Cup series cars had went to the conical springs a few years ago. Sometimes those engines are spun well over 8K...with hard off throttle...then quickly back to full on hard throttle again. This shows me that the conical springs work very well in a torture tested environment such as that. With fewer valve train related failures in the Sprint Cup series...it speaks volumes to me.

Ray

aswracing

Comp Cams conicals in a Harley head. 7mm stem. Ti retainer.

8000 rpm baby! That's where I had the limiter, and I tickled it several times.

Massive overkill for a Twin Cam though. You're not likely to get that many rpm from any Big Twin. This is a Sportster.