May 08, 2024, 02:15:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lost the Speedo

Started by FSG, January 04, 2017, 08:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

No it hasn't gone walkabout by itself   :teeth:   , while out yesterday the indicated speed dropped from the 100+ to ZERO and stayed there, the Odometer also stopped as did the cancellation of the Turn Signals when I tested them later. 

Power on self tests are OK and the needle kicks, so it looks like a new Speed Sensor P/N 74430-00D is in my purchasing future, but first a look see at the one currently installed.

Easy peasy getting it out with the right tool, no fuzz, it's as clean as a whistle if you know the expression, so after wiping it off back in it goes, I'll see if it works in the morning, if not I'll continue to the dealer for a new sensor.

gonenorth

Keep us posted on whether it is the speed sensor.  Good luck on quick fix.

Hossamania

My '01 did the same thing when the voltage regulator went out, putting 19 volts back to the battery. This in '03. Has worked fine since, after the VR was replaced.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhogman

Replaced the speed sensor on my 2001 FLHT years ago, if I recall sounds like the same symptoms.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

fbn ent

Mine did that also on my '02 in around '05 on the way to Sturgis. "Check" light stayed on IIRC. New sensor fixed it.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

truck

I see your problem. Wrong color oil, should be red. :unsure:  What is that lube you're using?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: truck on January 05, 2017, 06:35:37 AM
I see your problem. Wrong color oil, should be red. :unsure:  What is that lube you're using?

Looks like Shockproof lite.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rbabos

Entirely possible, the VSI. Usually idle issues occur when coming down from higher rpms while driving also. The IAC follow effect is lost.
Ron

BUBBIE

January 05, 2017, 08:37:32 AM #8 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:59:38 AM by BUBBIE
 :speaker:

76shuvlinoff SAYS:              "Looks like Shockproof lite."

FSG knows good Gear Oil...

I'm with that sensor BAD Also...  :up:

signed....BUBBIE

:pop: :pop: :pop:
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Scotty

Quote from: rbabos on January 05, 2017, 08:29:19 AM
Entirely possible, the VSI. Usually idle issues occur when coming down from higher rpms while driving also. The IAC follow effect is lost.
Ron

On a EFI bike that is the case but not on a carby bike and FSG bike is a carby.

My speedo went from 80 to 0 as well just before xmas but was the original 25 year old cable that broke down at the front wheel. :bike:

mrmike

Yup 2 years ago rolling into Laconia I had same issues with idle problems, (03 RK EFI). Pretty sure it was Ron who chimed in and helped me out when I posted the issue here, cleaning only worked for maybe 5 miles.

The PITA of the swap was removing the connecter end of the new sensor so it can be threaded through its route other than that mere childs play.

I cut the end off the existing old sensor for an easy removal and gave me a reference on putting the new connectors wires in the right places.

I always approach my jobs as if I'm an idiot and can't remember "Potty mouth".... cause I am.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

rbabos

Quote from: Scotty on January 05, 2017, 01:03:22 PM
Quote from: rbabos on January 05, 2017, 08:29:19 AM
Ron

On a EFI bike that is the case but not on a carby bike and FSG bike is a carby.

My speedo went from 80 to 0 as well just before xmas but was the original 25 year old cable that broke down at the front wheel. :bike:
Ah ha, never clued in he was carbed.
Ron

FSG

Well to be expected, cleaning it (no fuzz to clean off anyway) did nothing, I did a few tests with my Simpson 260 VOM and then went to the dealer to get the one and only VSS they had in stock.

This is from my 03 SM.

This is the original VSS from my 03 Fatty, NOTE the number on it, numbers on parts are rarely the actual P/N but in this case.  My Parts Book calls for a 74430-00B, I guess the bikes build date was after the -00C was released to manufacturing, something for me to check on a lazy/rainy day.

This is the latest revision VSS, NOTE the number on it, 74430-00D and the colour of the o-ring.

The rear wheel splash guard needed to be removed and the connector dismantled to be able to get the VSS wiring out from under the other wiring and the Oil Bag drain hose.

This made it easy to connect the Simpson to see what was going on. 

The Bad VSS had a solid 12VDC on the Signal (White) wire, it was unwavering rocking the rear wheel with the trannie in 2nd gear.

With the New VSS installed there was a wavering DC Voltage, 0 to 10 approximately when rocking the rear wheel with the trannie in 2nd gear. 

For simplicity if we said this was a square wave the frequency would increase as speed increased.  If I get keen later tonight I may connect a scope and record some data, the emphasis on may. 

Starting the bike and letting it idle in 2nd gear and the Speedo shows 20KPH, good ohhhhhhhhhhhh.   :SM:

A short vid of the Simpson when rocking the rear wheel with the trannie in 2nd gear.   

Sorry about the focus.

[smg id=2895 type=av]

Well hopefully this new VSS will last 13 years, by which time I'll be near on 77 and this Fatty will have been retired. 

borno

Good thing it wasn't the speedometer. I love my old simpson, had it for a long time.  :smile:

Hossamania

Thanks for the detailed follow up.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG

Quote from: borno on January 06, 2017, 02:52:23 AM
Good thing it wasn't the speedometer. I love my old simpson, had it for a long time.  :smile:

:up:   better a AUS$90 VSS than trading my 1st born for a Speedo   :wink:

My Simpson & Fluke collection has done well putting up with my abuse for a long, long time.

http://i.imgur.com/Go34GAj.jpg

I've just had to do a repair on the 260 I used here, the glass came adrift, cant blame the 260, it did survive the 6ft drop years ago.

FSG

I have a function generator on the shelf if needed to test the actual speedo BUT all that is needed is a simple square wave generator that would plug into the harness replacing the actual VSS and provide a sweep into the speedo for test purposes.

fleetmechanic

January 06, 2017, 11:16:40 AM #17 Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:04:03 PM by fleetmechanic
Many years ago we had a 2001 FLHTPI with an erratic speedo, replaced the sensor and then the speedo and after tossing the original speedo I found it was a pinched white wire in the harness by the frame neck.   Sad.

speedzter

Quote from: FSG on January 06, 2017, 09:19:02 AM

:up:   better a AUS$90 VSS than trading my 1st born for a Speedo   :wink:

http://i.imgur.com/Go34GAj.jpg
I've just had to do a repair on the 260 I used here, the glass came adrift, cant blame the 260, it did survive the 6ft drop years ago.

Sometimes analogue is just better !

FSG

QuoteSometimes analogue is just better !

:agree:   Digitals have their uses but you cant beat a (Good) Analog   :teeth:

I grew up with AVO Multimeters but switched to Simpsons when I fell into the Oil Industry and have stayed with them ever since.

FSG

On a Softy the VSS Connector lives up in behind the rear wheel splash guard.

break the connection and pull the male out in front of the swingarm, now lets get that female apart

Use a set of pliers, grab the stub on the green wedge and pull it out directly toward the camera.

Note the arrow on that green wedge, although it makes no difference I always put them back the way they came out

you can see the plastic detent that is holding the pin in, use a small screwdriver to move it aside and press the pin out at the same time, easy peasy

and out the back they come

and there we have it

this is the old/bad one, I'm going to use it as a pigtail and build a dedicated sweep generator to test speedos

a bit of Parker Lube on the seals as the connectors went back together

FSG

I bought this speedo years ago for a few pennies, everyone was fitting speedo/tach combos which were at the time too expensive for my taste, still are

here it is with all of 4klm on it

It will be the test speedo for the dedicated sweep generator I'll make using the old VSS pigtail

Note: This is a HDI Speedo,  67197-99A   SPEEDOMETER  KPH   MRRP is $409,  the DOM Speedo is 67033-99A  SPEEDOMETER  MPH

and if you don't know how the pins number on these 12 pin mini deutsch connectors then,

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta