May 02, 2024, 03:34:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

has anyone laid eyes on 8967A yet ??

Started by FSG, April 13, 2017, 04:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

It's the new  SINGLE ROW BALL BEARING for the MDG,  $35 vs $45 for the older Double Row.

It may have already been mentioned and I've missed it.

VDeuce

And I just replaced mine, now they have a new version?  :doh:

FSG

yes used in the 2017 CVO's, my guess we'll see them across the board in 2018

tbird

VDeuce

BVHOG

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Leed

I ordered one from my local dealer.  They placed the order correctly but Harley sent the old double row bearing.  Since the bearing package showed a manufacturer date of 3/17/17 I'd guess it will be a while before they start releasing the new single row bearing.
I decided to just install what I have so I can get back on the road but it did piss me off.

1FSTRK

They will ship all the old inventory until it is gone even if the factory is installing the new style.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

K4FXD

I'm not a bearing expert so I ask,

Why would a single row be better than a double row. Seems to me the double would handle loads better
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

jbexeter

Quote from: K4FXD on May 06, 2017, 11:58:23 AM

Why would a single row be better than a double row. Seems to me the double would handle loads better

Define "better"

Double row has many mechanical advantages over single row, however, double row you almost certainly aren't going to see a seal or shield, so swarf will kill it quick.

If you know your new 6sp tranny will throw off swarf the single row with a seal to keep it out is a winner.

FSG

Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 06, 2017, 11:21:34 AM
They will ship all the old inventory until it is gone even if the factory is installing the new style.

True BUT if I order a 8967A then I expect to be supplied a 8967A or even a later revision B or C BUT not the superseded part.

rbabos

You guys are arguing over crap and bigger crap. :hyst: Give me a roller bearing any day over either of the ball versions.
Ron

1FSTRK

Quote from: jbexeter on May 06, 2017, 01:23:10 PM
Quote from: K4FXD on May 06, 2017, 11:58:23 AM

Define "better"

Double row has many mechanical advantages over single row, however, double row you almost certainly aren't going to see a seal or shield, so swarf will kill it quick.

If you know your new 6sp tranny will throw off swarf the single row with a seal to keep it out is a winner.

Has HD ever used a shielded or sealed main drive bearing?

1FSTRK

Quote from: FSG on May 06, 2017, 01:27:39 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 06, 2017, 11:21:34 AM

True BUT if I order a 8967A then I expect to be supplied a 8967A or even a later revision B or C BUT not the superseded part.

HD usually does not supersede a part when they add a letter, I believe they refer to it as a running change just like with the lifters.

FSG

HD usually does not do a lot of things, regardless, if I order an A revision then that's what I expect to get or even a later revision B or C BUT not the superseded earlier part.

Appowner

Well, look at it this way.  If you ordered 8967A for $35.44.  And the Moco sent you 8967 for $43.98.  You're only obligated to pay the $35.44.  Saving you some $8.50.  Small consolation but at least not a total loss.   :teeth:

PoorUB

Quote from: Appowner on May 07, 2017, 06:07:35 AM
Well, look at it this way.  If you ordered 8967A for $35.44.  And the Moco sent you 8967 for $43.98.  You're only obligated to pay the $35.44.  Saving you some $8.50.  Small consolation but at least not a total loss.   :teeth:

Try it and see how it works for you. The local dealer is not obligated to sell you anything at any price. They can take your $35.44 price and mark it up to $100 if they want to. If you refuse to pay you don't get the part, at least not from that dealer.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Appowner

Quote from: PoorUB on May 07, 2017, 06:37:24 AM

Try it and see how it works for you. The local dealer is not obligated to sell you anything at any price. They can take your $35.44 price and mark it up to $100 if they want to. If you refuse to pay you don't get the part, at least not from that dealer.

It would be called an implied contract.  Maybe even a written one depending how the original request was processed.  I specified a particular part number.  The dealer or Moco screwed up, maybe deliberately, and sent a part with a higher price.  Not what I ordered.  So they can either get the right part or give me the substitute at the agreed upon price.

Problem is, 99.99999% of the customers lack the will to point this out or to even argue the point.  So the dealer wins and such bad practices become the accepted norm.  Doesn't make it right.

Ask said dealer how they would like the reputation of being unable to get parts as ordered?  But then, for a dealer the money is in the accessories, in particular the clothing and such.  So they may not care.

Leed

Well there would have been a scene if they tried to ask for more money... :wink:
I asked them to check if it had been ordered correctly and they did and it had been so I am up $8.50 till the bearing fails again.

FSG

1FSTRK

turboprop

Quote from: FSG on August 12, 2017, 03:32:59 AM

Just curious, but what are the numbers on the side of the new bearing, is it available through a bearing supply place like 123bearing.com?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Leed

Interesting but I don't see the advantage over the original bearing.  Especially if they're still using a plastic cage.  :idunno:

FSG

Quote from: turboprop on August 12, 2017, 05:53:07 AM
Just curious, but what are the numbers on the side of the new bearing, is it available through a bearing supply place like 123bearing.com?

No, the leading F in number dictates it's not available, note the Slovakia    :SM:

02FYRFTR

Quote from: FSG on August 12, 2017, 03:32:59 AM

There  are eleven balls in the 8967A bearing.  Bearing uses a nylon retainer and is not sealed on either side.