Author Topic: Making a custom tour pack for my Softail  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
Re: Making a custom tour pack for my Softail
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
I was able to get the front sewed to the back.

You can see the straps sticking out where the snaps will be mounted.

Here it is turned right side out, I have to say that seam was probably the hardest that I have ever done.

Here I am mounting the snaps.
This plastic goes under the snap to keep it from distorting.

And here is the set.

This is how you put the male snap on, the tape is so that you can see your mark, pull it down to where you want it then mark, then drill.

The male snap has a screw that holds it on.

This is with just one layer of pad and no bottom snaps yet.

Ready to try on the bike.

I felt that the padding needed more work to take out all the wrinkles, that and the inside layer is pulling the pad too tight, but my wife came along and said, gees I like how you ruched up the cover.
I thought that was another way to say that you screwed up, she said google it, soÖÖ here are the types of the images that came up.

I said yea I like that, when you put it that way, soooooo, for now the ruching stays.
It looks like an overstuffed chair, and yea I am starting to like it, I donít think it would be hard to change, but if the Mrs. likes it who am I to argue.
The cover still needs a bottom skirt but that can wait.
I was able to get another base coat on and several coats of clear.

It looks real good; I would give myself a b+ since Iím spraying in an open air shop. I did get one run but it will sand out in the color sand.
Iím letting the paint dry as I write this, Iím going to start on the seat, I am starting to enjoy the upholstery work.
More when there is more.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:10:52 AM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
Steve
www.Rockerlockers.com  Call for dealer discount

Offline FLHRI_2004

• Site Supporter
  • Joined HTT 1/16/2004, Easton/Bethlehem, PA
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2017, 05:23:28 AM »
Looks like a great job to me.  :up: :up:
My Ride: Road King

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
I heard an upholstery guy say he likes working on cars, but didn't like getting greasy, so that's how he ended doing the upholstery.
You're work is looking really good.
No shirt, no shoes, but I still get service.
Why? Girl, look at this body!

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
I heard an upholstery guy say he likes working on cars, but didn't like getting greasy, so that's how he ended doing the upholstery.
You're work is looking really good.
Looks like a great job to me.  :up: :up:

Thanks guys, Well old man winter finally showed up here in North Fl, nights in the 30 days in the fifties, short daylight hours so hard to get out to my open air shop.
So, first a better shot of the paint.

And I ask Mrs. Cruiser if she thought it should be covered in Carbon Fiber, and she just paused, then she paused, then just smiled said ďI like the black.Ē And in all honesty the black does look good. I think most people donít even understand the CF, so might end up with black saddlebags again with a black tour pack.
Iím coming along on the seat, I had Mrs C sit on the Corbin/FLH seat, she really likes it, she says that she has more room than either of the other seats, looks like the placement of the back rest and the seat are right where she like it. It is very comfortable for me also, I have long legs and it does not cramp me at all.
So time to start gluing the FLH pad onto the Corbin pan.

Itís important to have reference marks.

Iím using spray contact glue and brush on contact to glue the pads together and onto the Corbin pad.

There was a gap between the two and the passenger pad was higher so that needed to be filled.

You have to let that dry real good then grind it down.

This gives me a short back rest, this will be my new touring seat so will be appreciated.

Cut off the nose where it went over the tank on the FLH.

And there is your seat ready for upholstery.

I want to show one thing.

That little debit  a the back of the seat comes standard on any FLH seat, not all seats have it, the Corbin did not, my Softail did not, that is a relief for your Coccyx.
No I am not making that up, itís for your tail bone in case it has ever been broken it can cause pain if not there.
I broke mine when I was a kid showing off  for a girl by ridding a mechanical bull at a bar, needless to say I had consumed way too much of the establishment product before riding said bull. That was before Mrs. Cruiser so letís keep that to ourselves.
So I have to do that on all my seats, yea I know way to much information.
Anyway more when there is more.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:14:05 AM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
Steve

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »
Iím moving along, slowly, gees this is much harder than I expected, the fact that the driverís seat is connected to the passengers seat is the problem. You have so many different angles, so many dips plus it is such a big area to deal with. I thought the seat was going to be easy, I was wrong.
Iím laying out the cover, in areas where there is a recess you need to treat the material more like wood to get it to fit right, seams in the deepest area so that you can give extra material there.

Then measure and add a couple of inches, (somehow things tend to shrink) lay it out upside down and trim. You can see the piece that I have my hand on is cut with a bow to fit the back.

Then you overlay the two plus the width of the seam and mark the part on the back rest.

Stitch them together and get ready for the next piece.

Ready for my side pattern, using an old towel.

Transfer your pattern.

Ok another disclaimer, do not confuse me with someone how knows what they are doing, I am making this up as I go.

In order to mark where you want to make the final cut before attaching the sides, I turn the cover over and mark the back +1/2 this give me the material extra to sew the two pieces together.
And you do the same thing with the sides, mark where they line up and sew them together.

And there is your cover, it will be interesting to see how it looks when it is stretched onto the pan, I think I am pretty close and things will fit pretty good, will see later.
I might have to change my padding in some places but we will see.
Iím not sure if I am going to put the cover on yet, I was not going to put in a seat heater but ran across something real cool, or actually hot, carbon fiber heat tape. Iíve used heat wire before in several of my projects, heated grips heated coat, but this stuff really looks cool, er hot. It comes in different widths and is carbon fiber impregnated with a electrical conductor. Nice thing is that it is flat, and being 1 3/4 wide will make it a natural for under the cover. Only problem, the only place I can find it comes from Russia, yea the country and it takes about two months to get it. Vladimir Lopatin who sell the tape emailed and said that it has been Released from Russian Federation, passed customs, So,,,,,,,,, they are talking end of this month and I order it a month ago. Iíve never bought anything from our iron curtain friends, so we will see.
 I donít know if I am going to wait for it or pull the cover off later.
Think I might jump back on the paint, or mount, or cup holder, gees all these decisions.
Man I hate these short days only 4 more days to winter solstices, canít wait.
More when there is more.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:27:07 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
Steve

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »
Do you think that seam running across the passenger pad is going to be a comfort issue? I see it becoming a point of "burn".

Offline ecir50

• Site Supporter
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »
What sewing machine you using, any pics of setup?

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
Do you think that seam running across the passenger pad is going to be a comfort issue? I see it becoming a point of "burn".
Hoss, good eye, yea I am very concerned about that, and don't know how it happened, I was planning on putting it back farther, and, gees look a squirrel.
I'm going to cut a grove in the pad under it and hope that takes care of it. I'm learning as I go things that are so obvious in hind site are hard to see in the planning stage.
Steve

Offline 98fxstc

• Site Supporter
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2017, 03:45:56 PM »

Post #33
Singer 241-12

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »

Post #33
Singer 241-12

Thanks 98, yea love this sewing machine, it has not missed a stitch, sure makes doing something like this much easier.
Steve

Offline ecir50

• Site Supporter
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »
Missed that wasn't following thanks, nice setup. Looks like a reasonable price machine, I want one :).

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
Missed that wasn't following thanks, nice setup. Looks like a reasonable price machine, I want one :).
They made this model in 11, 12 and 13, the 13 being the heavest duty, good for heavy leather. My 12 is medium, and fine for what I need. I had to make a few changes, it was set up for dress making. It has a oil resivor under and is self oiling. It was designed to run all day long at top speed. Try doing that with a new one with plastic gears.
Once I got it timed right it has never missed​ a stitch.
The 12 is the most common and you can find them for about 100-200 pretty common.
Steve

Offline ecir50

• Site Supporter
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2017, 07:38:54 PM »
Thanks for the hands on knowledge.

Offline FLHRI_2004

• Site Supporter
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
Wow, I realize that the $ spent for my Mustang seat is worth it.  Don't sell yourself short though, you have some good seatmaking skills.

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
Wow, I realize that the $ spent for my Mustang seat is worth it.  Don't sell yourself short though, you have some good seatmaking skills.
Yea and if you consider what everything cost, let see, Corbin pan, $100-150 (don't remember exact), FLH pad $50, extra pad, $18, two yards of Naugahyde, $60, I'm not going to consider the glue that I had, the $100 sewing machine, all the upgrades to it, the tread that I had to buy,,,,,,,,yea custom is not cheap.

Thanks for the hands on knowledge.
:up:

Oh yea, I added a pole to help decide carbon fiber or black on the tour pack and saddle bags. Vote early and often.
Steve

Offline Breeze

• Site Supporter
  • middle Georgia '68 Shovel,'92 Dyna, '07 E.Glide
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2017, 04:22:01 AM »
Since you didn't leave a "comment" section on your poll (smart move), I'll add my comment here.
I don't care what you do, just keep coming up with projects and photo/documenting them on the forum.  :up:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
So I have made a paint decision, black, everything, yea even the bags.  I might add a second color later, maybe some burgundy scallops or maybe a dark green and charcoal pin stripes, but for now black.
I donít think most people understand the carbon fiber and with so many wraps, dips I think the fad is over.
And in all honesty I loved the bags in black.
So I am moving on, in one way it is a lot less work, covering the pack with carbon is a lot of time, work and expense, however so it the black paint, it has to be perfect.
Black paint shows every flaw, so I need to do another sanding, and another coat of clear, but before I can do that I need to finish the bottom and do the inside. I have to turn the pack upside down to do these and donít want to do that after the final paint.
I also did not like the very front under where the passenger pad is, if you remember I did not cut out the whole front but left the bottom where it is flat.

Even though it is going to be covered, it just does not make since, also since I have been running the pack I have been putting my helmet in it and if the helmet is not in just the right spot the lid will not shut. Moving the back rest forward a inch and a half will let the helmet fit under the top more and let the lit shut. It will also give me a lot more room, as the sides will be rounded more.
SoÖ.

FYI this change cost me another ten for the sign and forty for another gallon of glass resin. Custom is not cheap.

You can see how much the front has been moved up.

And I am working on the bottom also; it does not need a ton of work. The bottom turned out flatter than I had planned, I think while I was doing so much filling the pack was sitting on the bottom and when I glassed it that it made it flat. This is also why my helmet did not fit the way that I thought.
Moving the front will cure this, it is a lot of extra work, but remember now is the time to change things that you do not like the longer you wait the harder it is.
More when there is more.

Steve

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »
I have not gotten a lot done, it has been cold, not complaining for the sake of those up north who have it worse than us, but itís been 40-25 for the last week. Not good weather for working in an open air shop.
I finished up the new front, under the back rest.

A little Bondo.

I am using a different filler, this is a polyester glazing, it is two part and is much smoother than normal body filler and easer to sand. It is for a final fill, not intended for anything to thick.
We used to use a thick lacquer glazing to do the same thing but it had a tendency to shrink and crack with time.

You work it just like Bondo, sanding off almost all of it leaving just the parts filling the low spots.

I also did the bottom. I did not get a photo of the paint afterwards, but you get the idea.

I also shot the inside with some black rattle can Rustolium. (The flash shows a light spot but its all black) Iím not too concerned with the finish, it is going to be covered with some felt but want it cleaned up some. I still need a lid for the hole.
In all honesty you can not tell any difference in the look of the pack with this change except the helmets fit better inside, but I am glad that I made the change, to me it made since.
I gave the outside a quick color sanding and a quick buff to get rid of the runs and to clean it up a little. The photos donít do it justice so not going to post them will try to get better photos later. And this is not the last coat of paint soÖÖ
I have decided to change colors I am going to a black base with silver metallic, so it looks like dark charcoal. This is going to be a little more of a challenge, I am just a hobbyist painter and metallic can be trying.

I stuck on the name plate, I really like it, adds a lot of class and interest to the pack. It is just stuck on with some double face tape so can be removed for the final paint.
I am going to run the pack for a while, I am going to start getting the front fender ready for paint, then the bags.
I will also get back on the seat now that the weather is looking better. My heat tape came in for the seat so interested in seeing how that works.
More later when there is more.
Steve
Steve

Offline FLHRI_2004

• Site Supporter
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
 :up: :up:

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2018, 05:47:08 PM »
Well it has been too cold to work on paint, especially wet sanding so finally the Florida whether has shown up again. I picked up my new color, metallic charcoal, Iím going to start on my front fender to test the color out.

This fender was a project, been maybe six seven years ago, here is how it started out, an FLH eBay banged up special.

I straightened up the front and added the tail from a rear fender.

Then added a ridge up the back to match the rear fender. Of course I welded up all the holes, got rid of all the rivits.

I ran it for several years and I banged it up pretty bad when I hit a deer a couple of years ago and started to repainted it, as you can see the paint is not perfect,  then bumped my gate before the paint was done about a year ago and have been ignoring it. So now is the time to redo it.

Grind off the cracked paint and filler.

Hammer and dolly to get it straight, it had spread some so you just pull it in by laying it flat and pushing down on it.

I need another sanding block.

New body filler on all the damaged areas.

Then sand it smooth.

Prime it with the high build primer.

And then you start your final wet sanding, here with 320 wet. There are a few real small spots that need the finish filler another sanding and spot shot with primer in my air brush, then ready for paint.
The weather has been high of 70 again so I hope to get it in charcoal sometime this week.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:01:47 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers »
Steve

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
Well I got the front fender painted, the paint turned out really nice, I love the color, however,,,, not on my bike. It is just not dark/black enough, my wife said not sinister enough. So I am going to try a metallic black.
A couple of quick.

Iím thinking of a different style wheel, not sure what I want yet, something in a 19 or 21, nothing too tall.
I need to make a trip to the paint store, again. More when there is more, Steve.
Steve

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »
The paint does look good, but you're right, not sinister enough! Only two colors in the world, Black and Chrome.

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2018, 03:44:56 PM »
The paint does look good, but you're right, not sinister enough! Only two colors in the world, Black and Chrome.

Hey Hoss, is this sinister enough?

Carbon flash metallic, it's a Corvette color. I don't know how metallic it is, I might have to add some black flake or pearl to get the effect that I want, will see.
I'm also tempted to go two colors, leave some charcoal on the bottom with a burgundy stripe.  Hmm.
Steve

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2018, 07:37:04 PM »
It's getting there... ( :wink: ) Looks like nice black. I like the idea of leaving some charcoal for accent with the burgundy stripe, definitely classic and complimentary colors.
It's fun watching you keep at it, looking good.

• www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »
I was able to get the tour pack painted, love the color carbon flash. It looks black until the sun hits it.

It is a real rich color, rich meaning not normal. It has several colors to make up the black instead of just a black pigment. Then it has black flakes and silver metal flakes to give it the metallic look.
A big difference from the vivid black Harley paint.

The photos do not do it justice, Iím in the process of color sanding it and rubbing it out and about half done. This is very time consuming I have spent probably six hours so far and not near done. You can still places that need to be gone over to get rid of the orange peel and to get the surface perfectly flat.
I bought a E-bay special, slid down the road gas tank, I need to go to Daytona to pick it up.
I donít use any of my original parts to do custom work on. I put them on a shelf in case I sell the bike, or ever want to go back to a Fatboy.
I have a perfect 01 sitting on my shelf.
I am going to use the Charcoal metallic with the carbon flash and use two colors with a burgundy pin stripe but havenít decided on a pattern yet.
Anyone with suggestions I listening.
Steve