Author Topic: exhaust  (Read 578 times)

Offline dirtymike

exhaust
« on: October 28, 2017, 06:01:05 AM »
Trying to install two into one exhaust on a 1978 fx, but it seem the kicker is in the way. I think the exhaust pipe i have is for electric start only. Anybody have any words of wisdom, thanks Dirty  https://www.fixpicture.org/medias/1509195500_tmp_pipe.jpg

Offline tmwmoose

• Site Supporter
Re: exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:22:28 AM »
get a different pipe or lose the kicker .A pre Shovel end cover might work . Also look into what PAUGHCO has to offer in pipes

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:58:58 AM »
What style kicker do you have? If the shaft folds out and you have the round pedal, not mush choice other than changing pipes or removing the kicker. Frank

Offline guppymech

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 06:10:43 AM »
There's a guy at advrider.com that I was talking to that has a cone Shovel FLH with a pipe like you're looking for, maybe you could PM him and ask where he got it.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/harley-riders-sign-in-with-pic.59390/page-191#post-33501697

'84 FXE Survivor, '02 883R

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 06:17:49 AM »
I have a Thunderheader on my 76 with a fold out kicker arm. BUT, I think the reason it clears might be my aftermarket 5 inna 4 speed trans being a bit wider to the right.  That trans limited my exhaust to either Paugho true duals or a T-Header (or custom).

I bought the T-header used and there is a slight scuff on it from a previous owner's kick arm.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
Thanks for help Julio, got my order in. Waiting on the mail.  Dirty

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:15:51 AM »
That www.fixpicture.org is a FREE online website utility mainly for digital cameras, it allows you to resize, rotate and apply effects to a pic that you upload, it is not a pic hosting site.

The resulting image is made available for display and download, but it's deleted after 2 hours.

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:08:34 AM »
sorry, trying again.

Offline david lee

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
to me kick or no kick that shouldnt happen.badly made. id take it back

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 04:37:32 PM »
hard to take it back, it was made in the 70's.    Dirty

Offline david lee

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
i cant believe its fitted any shovel.looks like its even hitting the case.

Offline wfolarry

• Premium Vendor
  • BREATHE DEEP
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 07:56:38 AM »
That pipe is a power killer. You're doing yourself a favor getting rid of it.

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
Power killer, this old thug bitch aint got but 50 ponies maybe. No i didn't get rid of the two into one, I just got the correct one. Found it through a member here, Julio. denniscorso.com, Worked out perfect. Dirty

Offline BKACHE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:44:12 AM »
I had exactly the same issue with a RBRacing LSR 2 into one pipe. I cut 2/3 the way thru it at the bend and bent the pipe out.
I then took it to my friendly neighborhood welder and he filled it in for me. It was black to start with so a little paint and good to go. 

Offline Burnout

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
Power killer, this old thug bitch aint got but 50 ponies maybe. No i didn't get rid of the two into one, I just got the correct one. Found it through a member here, Julio. denniscorso.com, Worked out perfect. Dirty

If you only have 50hp, that makes a good exhaust all that more important!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline Trouble

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 04:10:01 AM »
JIMS makes an extended kicker shaft to clear pipes. Used one when installing T-Header. Still in use.

JIMS part#33096-54AL

3/4" longer kick starter shaft

37-86 4-speeds

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:34:04 AM by Trouble »
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »
Trouble, I recently installed that kicker shaft in my Baker 6 in 4 because of pipe issues.   Interesting, both Baker & Jims said they make them to HD specs. 
When mine came it had too much meat to slip into the Baker case bushing and I had to have it machined down to fit.  My memory won't recall how much meat was taken off the Jims to fit the Baker case but it was significant..  Now I didn't have a stock shaft to compare it to so either Baker or Jims is off by a significant amount.

Id be interested to know what a stock HD shaft measures at the bushing.
John

Offline Trouble

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 03:26:42 AM »
Hotrod,
If memory serves, the bushings I ordered with the kicker shaft were too big (OD)for the stock kicker cover. Measure, measure, measure.(+.0025 or so, which made me believe they would crack the aluminum kicker cover if I tried to press them in) I even called the company and asked they check their dimensions against stock Harley specs. (no luck there, they were wrong) I went with stock H-D kicker bushings, which have a more reasonable interference fit(+.001-.0015). After pressing the kicker bushings in, I reamed the bushings to accommodate the extended kicker shaft, which I believe was stock diameter size. No matter, I found a reamer that gave me the proper bushing to shaft clearance I was looking for. See, you don't turn down the diameter of the shaft, you may lose the hardness of the surface metal of that piece, and you still have bushings(wear items) that were not reamed to a perfect round dimension. Partial contact of the shaft on un-reamed bushings says shortened life for components involved. Unless the kicker is purely for looks. Sorry if I offend anyone, just trying to be clear on these points. My filter's broken.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 06:13:34 AM »
The kicker arm clearance wasn't the issue, its was the housing. There are two different 2 into 1 exhaust and trans housing for shovelheads, one for electric start and one for kick start. Yes I wanted to keep the kicker. Its a useful thing to have when the battery gets weak. If it don't work there is always a buddy with stiff boot on the rear peg. With the OEM points system its kicks fairly easy. Granted I keep the advance weights lubed and free and the timing right correct (timing light) and the points gaped correct, part of the shovel maintenance. Dirty

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 05:36:42 AM »
Trouble, I hope you are not apologizing to me..absolutely no reason for that man.  You make a great point and I had not considered that as an option. My brain went directly to 'the shaft is too big' not 'the bushing is too small'.  I brought all 3 components to the machine shop, 2 shafts (new Jims & stock Baker) and outer case.  Now that you mention what sounds very logical I'm wishing the machine shop had made that suggestion to me. 
I use the kicker regularly.  So far no issues but if there is a failure in the future;ie. broken shaft,  I know what I have to do. Ream the bushing and install a new unmolested shaft. 
I appreciate your comments, thats why this forum exists and why I am part of it.  I take away far more than I contribute. If I was that thin skinned I'd be riding Hondas!!!  Thanks for a different perspective. :up:    another note: Besides, if I thought you were full of s#it I just would not respond.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:05:09 AM by hotrodshovel »
John

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
The kicker arm clearance wasn't the issue, its was the housing. There are two different 2 into 1 exhaust and trans housing for shovelheads, one for electric start and one for kick start. Yes I wanted to keep the kicker. Its a useful thing to have when the battery gets weak. If it don't work there is always a buddy with stiff boot on the rear peg. With the OEM points system its kicks fairly easy. Granted I keep the advance weights lubed and free and the timing right correct (timing light) and the points gaped correct, part of the shovel maintenance. Dirty