Author Topic: Thompson superchargers  (Read 1170 times)

Offline jmorton10

• Site Supporter
  • support your local HAMC
Thompson superchargers
« on: December 05, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »
Anybody running one of these??

It's been quite a few years since I have run a blower motor (I still have most of the parts from a Magnusson blower setup I ran on a 113" shovel years back).

Lately I have been getting the urge again, although setting up my efi 124" S&S motor with a blower setup would certainly be more of a challenge than a carb shovel was in back in the day.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel electric shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & auto shift, NOS

Offline biggzed

• Site Supporter
Re: Thompson superchargers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:52 AM »
There was a guy that installed one from another forum. I can't remember which one though. I searched HDF to see if I could find the thread but came up empty. If you're a member on multiple forums you might try searching them. I know there was at least one thread from an actual Thomson owner.

Personally I like the look of the Procharger better. It looks more balanced to me. I've seen a couple of them in different places and talked to one guy that owns one. He loved it. Said it was the biggest rush he had ever had riding a Harley. Rigid thumper on here ran a Procharger for a while too. Maybe he will chime in.

Trask turbos are pretty popular as well. Maybe something else to consider if your wanting to go the boost route.

Zach

Online rigidthumper

• Site Supporter
  • When tuners are outlawed, only outlaws will tune..
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
Trask makes a bigger mid range hit, while the Procharger has a "spool up" feel- either one will put a smile on your face ( or fill your britches when you run out of real estate wishing for better brakes) :)
Either way, to get the most out of em, look into porting the exhaust side- gotta get the old out before you can get the new in, and the hair dryers will take care of the incoming mix pretty well.   
If you never measure your work, you can assume it's perfect.
Doesn't make it so.

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
Not to steal the tread but has anyone tried making their own turbo set up?
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline build it

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »

Looked into it, but the people I spoke to think every day is “do your own thing day”.
put down the ducky

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:44 AM »
Bolting the right "Snail"  on is EZ.
Its what controls the AFR and spark timing that is the hard part.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline rbabos

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 06:16:41 AM »
If the v rod forum is any indication , Tmax and DTT are the most popular. Both AlphaN I think. 160+ is the norm.
Ron

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:55:05 AM »
posted a sheet in the dyno section on a aero charger we built you can control boost and when it comes in .. Well provided they map the turbo correctly .
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:15 AM »
posted a sheet in the dyno section on a aero charger we built you can control boost and when it comes in .. Well provided they map the turbo correctly .

Yea saw it, that would scare me to death and probably be the death of me.

If the v rod forum is any indication , Tmax and DTT are the most popular. Both AlphaN I think. 160+ is the norm.
Ron

I would hate to give up my CV but know that FI is the most practical solution.

I think it would be a fun project, I am surprised no one in here has tried it.

?

Looked into it, but the people I spoke to think every day is “do your own thing day”.
Yea, I get that a lot, but I like doing my own thing, I hate buying what someone else is selling if I had done that then my shafts would be locktited.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
Turbo kits are simple no reason you cannot have a blow through set up . Ebay a turbo build the tubing ( buy a basic parts kit cut it up )  and intercooler ( ebay)  and your done. 

turbo can be 250 dollars for the small ones or buy a kit for a honda car and use what you need .

Online yobtaf103

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »

NCTURBOS, on here done a softail, nice job

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:13:37 PM »
Turbo kits are simple no reason you cannot have a blow through set up . Ebay a turbo build the tubing ( buy a basic parts kit cut it up )  and intercooler ( ebay)  and your done. 

turbo can be 250 dollars for the small ones or buy a kit for a honda car and use what you need .
I saw those on Ebay,
Fatboy move the oil tank/battery put the turbo under the seat, use a two into one then fab the rest back to the turbo. make a plenum/inner-cooler out of aluminum or Thermal Conductive carbon fiber  to run up to the carb.
Humm, gees I need to finish the project that i have started first.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 06:20:50 AM »
you are over thinking it .. Simple little turbo with simple set up. small inter cooler small fuel pump for carb with hobbs switch or get tricky and use a areomotive 1:1 rise rate reg . and that i it ..

Offline thumper 823

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 06:29:43 AM »
I think you should recommend a size.
Too little = too much and nothing at the top,
 Too big = nothing till the threshold and too much boost at the top.
appreciate the advice.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 06:44:33 AM »
well that is based on what CI he is working with . as well and really for most even it the little turbo taps out it will still make 40-45% over what he has . gt 25 would work ( knock off is about 150 dollars )

Offline build it

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »
well that is based on what CI he is working with . as well and really for most even it the little turbo taps out it will still make 40-45% over what he has . gt 25 would work ( knock off is about 150 dollars )
I think you should recommend a size.
Too little = too much and nothing at the top,
 Too big = nothing till the threshold and too much boost at the top.
appreciate the advice.

200+^ would be pretty easy, no RPM necessary, quiet, 120 or bigger but smaller with more liner would be better than simply adding cubes. I’d also like some long assed gears to take advantage of the 3K rpm band.

Problem is, how would you oil the snail?
put down the ducky

Offline thumper 823

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 06:59:34 AM »
The most EZ thing for most of us wannabe snail heads is to post a part number complete for us.
Perhaps recomend static CR
Porsche now gets away with over 9 to 1
would a HD?
probably not?
I would think a self-contained unit would be most EZ for the old HD.
One less tragedy to have happen.
thanx

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 07:45:27 AM »
Simple is a opinion . SO dont worry about the comp ratio drop the 25 or 28 if you have say over a 110 CI engine and run a meth kit . Cometic HG and target 6-10 range start low and work up .. Pistons if stock I would stay in the 5-6  forged hit it with a big boost number and hang on . ( hence simple HA HA )  Oil is simple tee off of sending unit drain into filler cap region .

Stock comp ratio in the 10 area is done all the time . Sure you can play with corrected with cam . Pro charger likes a long duration cam the small .. rrrr turbos like a shorter cam . yes the 255 is used in TONS of 103 turbo bikes . Trask uses the cam in a fair amount of his 103 builds  or stock cams as well .. Myself would drop a small stick ( take your pick stay under 245 duration) with a  mild build leave the heads stock  ad boost it

There is no part number per say .. But google the knock off gt 25 , then look at the intercoolers for size , tubing can be bought in sections with bends etc flange can be bought as well . Ex could be done with stock header if you wanted to mount the turbo low and back under pass foot board . less heat on rider that way

Any ways here is a short list of very universal items . For a DIY guy this is a good start.. The turbo parts are out there you just  have to figure much of it out. Bonnet for the air cleaner is a fab item for the most part but you could start with a eaby special that is round and roll some aluminum around it and weld it up .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GT28-GT25-GT2871-GT2860-T25-T28-SR20-CA18DET-Upgrade-Turbo-Turbocharger-400HP-/180924910732

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universal-Blue-Type-RS-BOV-Blow-Off-Valve-2-5-Adapter-Aluminum-Flange-Kits/291795693362?hash=item43f060ef32:g:-2cAAOSw9fRZ3Gaj&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-76MM-Aluminum-Universal-Intercooler-Turbo-Piping-BLACK-hose-T-Clamp-kits/173018059763?hash=item2848ae13f3:g:eTsAAOSwySlaGRFa&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMUSA-Universal-Intercooler-27x7x4-3-INLET-AND-OUTLET/142298774339?epid=1054799246&hash=item2121aafb43:g:ytYAAOSwGhFZiLzk&vxp=mtr

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
Oil is simple tee off of sending unit drain into filler cap region .

Stock comp ratio in the 10 area is done all the time . Sure you can play with corrected with cam . Pro charger likes a long duration cam the small .. rrrr turbos like a shorter cam . yes the 255 is used in TONS of 103 turbo bikes . Trask uses the cam in a fair amount of his 103 builds  or stock cams as well .. Myself would drop a small stick ( take your pick stay under 245 duration) with a  mild build leave the heads stock  ad boost it

There is no part number per say .. But google the knock off gt 25 , then look at the intercoolers for size , tubing can be bought in sections with bends etc flange can be bought as well . Ex could be done with stock header if you wanted to mount the turbo low and back under pass foot board . less heat on rider that way

You are wicked evil with this temptation :baby:. I am not going to do this, I need to finish other project first :kick: but IF i was, it would be for my 88 ci, .03 head gasket, late stock heads, n21, Kirby built, welded plugged bottom end so I know it would take it. It's a softail so could hard mount it to the frame.
I would go to 95 if I needed forged pistons. I'm not looking for a 150-200 hp, but a low end torque motor, that will scream when I want it to and still be reliable.
So what size turbo would you recommend for this if I was going to start ordering parts.
Yea I like the idea of it in the back, I could sacrifice the front of my bag for clearance. Could you oil it off the return line to the oil tank?
And it is the Rocker Lockers test mule so business expense :wink:.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
A few questions, been going some studying, looks like a gt15 of gt12 would fit my build. 12 is up to 1.2 l but the hp would fit, 130. Would the 12 be to small?
I know I would have to run an external return oil pump on my Fatboy, np
Problem I see is the inlet, outlet how they face, the inlet points down, the exaust comes in from the top, I know oil exit needs on the bottom. Question is can the compressor part, or exaust sides be turned/rotated? I figure the waste gate would need custom fab for this.
I'm trying to get a feel how it would mount back in front of my sadlebag.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 03:15:15 AM »
A few questions, been going some studying, looks like a gt15 of gt12 would fit my build. 12 is up to 1.2 l but the hp would fit, 130. Would the 12 be to small?
I know I would have to run an external return oil pump on my Fatboy, np
Problem I see is the inlet, outlet how they face, the inlet points down, the exaust comes in from the top, I know oil exit needs on the bottom. Question is can the compressor part, or exaust sides be turned/rotated? I figure the waste gate would need custom fab for this. P
Found the answer to this, yes it's called clocking.
Still need to decide on a size, leaning towards the gt15.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 05:26:23 AM »

Seems to me most builders mount the turbo up front somewhere. Probably don't make a lot of difference on a motorcycle.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:40 AM »
You are correct is called clocking 15 is very small .

Offline thumper 823

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 06:24:53 AM »
Up high allows for gravity to dump the oil back or else you will need another pump of sorts .

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »
oil feed up oi drain down .. Pretty simple really you want a most direct route for it to drain .  with a turbo that is above the oil pan you figure out a location and go from there.. In cases where a turbo is below the oil pan or way facing forward . They implement a small scavenge pump to assist in this process .