Author Topic: AGM Battery Died  (Read 273 times)

Offline SanB2013

• Ride Wrench Ride
AGM Battery Died
« on: September 27, 2017, 03:04:32 PM »
I installed a new AGM battery this spring and last night after a hour ride I parked the bike in front of the garage and when I went to bring the bike inside the battery was dead and would not even take a charge.  I bought the battery exactly 6 months to the day and only put about 700 miles on it.  There was only a 90 day warranty so needles to say I'm not happy.  I asked them to order me a standard acid battery which is about 30.00 cheaper.  This was my first experience with an AGM and needless to say I'm not very impressed.  My last acid fill battery lasted 3 years which I was okay with that.
Am I being unfair on the AGM battery and should have tried another one or brand? 
1976 FXE

Offline 14Frisco

Re: AGM Battery Died
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
yes

Offline Trouble

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
I had a lead-acid crap out on the shovel in less than six months. It was an off brand, rather than the Yuasa or H-D I usually get. If they made an AGM battery for the kick-only, I would buy one. Lead-acids usually last 3-5 years if maintained.
 I regularly change the AGM (H-D brand)on the twin cam every four years. Even gave a four-year-old to a neighbor that used it for another two years.
Suggest you try another, just buy a known quality brand. Search the forums, been discussed.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:41:02 PM »
Is the charging system at 100% ? Battery won't last long if the charging system is lagging. And some times batteries just fail.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Mule

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »
Battery stuff.com  order the scorpion, been using them for years! Every bike I work on that needs a battery get one. No hassle warranty if needed, they are a AGM battery! I usually get it within two days when I order one. Leaving a battery plugged in to a battery tender can lead to pre mature battery failure...

Offline EVOKing94

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:35:50 PM »
Get a Deka AGM.  They make the Harley battery and cost less than the dealer.  Made in USA.

Offline Burnout

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
AGM batteries are the best for your HD.
I have had the best luck with with HD batteries
But have also used Yuasa Dekka and Interstate Cycle-Tron II AGM
They have better cold cranking ratings.
They hold up to vibration better.
They don't spew sulfuric acid all over your machine.

If not ridden regularly they definitely need a battery tender,
They do not like to be discharged, any more than a week or so of non use put it on a tender.
Discharging them takes away from their lifespan.
They discharge themselves from internal leakage so cannot be stored without charging.

A quality AGM battery will last you 4+ years.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
I have to agree with Ohio. Check the charging system with the new battery.
Sometimes batteries just go bad. What brand was it?
I am not a fan of wet cell batteries and dealing with checking the water all the time and having them cook and spew acid.
Happiness does not buy money.

Offline motorplex88

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
I agree with the others. Get another AGM and get rid of the acid spew. I've had batteries over the years (maybe 2) that just BAM went to sh*t for no apparent reason. Charging system check is also in order as advised. I don't think you will regret it.

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
if your battery dropped below 9 volts you may have to trick your charger into charging it by attaching a good battery to the bad one, they try the charger,, the good battery will allow the charger to turn on as it will "recognize" that there is a battery hooked up.. once you get the charger to take hold you then disconnect the good battery..

I've seen AGM batteries last 10 years or more,, they do not like losing their charge tho,, I always use a tender when I put the babies away for any length of time

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
Battery stuff.com  order the scorpion, been using them for years! Every bike I work on that needs a battery get one. No hassle warranty if needed, they are a AGM battery! I usually get it within two days when I order one. Leaving a battery plugged in to a battery tender can lead to pre mature battery failure...

I've had a Scorpion ( for full disclosure it was made in China) in my 76 for close to 5 years now. I do use a Battery Tender and I installed the later two pin 32 amp stator and regulator back in 03.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline SanB2013

• Ride Wrench Ride
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »
Thanks for all of your replies. I took the advice of majority and picked up a new AGM. It's a YUSA. Charging system is fine and I'm back up and running.
Thanks again. Now for the next issue.
1976 FXE