Author Topic: How rare is a AMF Shovel  (Read 1464 times)

Offline One4Tone

Re: How rare is a AMF Shovel
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »
..yes sure Scott..nothing special except the braking system and being 45 years old...and off course the grow on trees.... but to plant that tree ya need a shovel :oops:

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 03:44:31 AM »
I agree that they have not made them since 1972.
Not like a 1965 FLH, or a 1957 Pan, 1958 Pan, or a 1966 FLH, or a 1969 FLH, first/last of many significant changes.
1972 FLH is a great nostalgic bike, yes.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "steer clear of chameleons."

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 05:21:00 AM »
Not like a 1965 FLH, or a 1957 Pan, 1958 Pan, or a 1966 FLH, or a 1969 FLH, first/last of many significant changes.

Especially if you were born in 1972!
Happiness does not buy money.

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
is there anything on a harley thats american made anymore ?

obviously you have never been to the York, KC, Milwaukee, or Tomahawk plants... we have a several places in MN are vendors for HD, including one that does head castings..
thats correct.i was just asking.so harleys are assembled in the usa using no imported parts

I never said that, of course there are overseas parts  sourced,, hell they have been using showa forks since the 70's. but a major part of the bikes a made right here,, frame, sheet metal, power trains, and many other parts. even the stators are built right in Milwaukee, I've seen the machine that spits them out! I'm sorry but it bothers me when people calim "nothing HD" is make in America.. it's simply not true..

Offline david lee

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »

obviously you have never been to the York, KC, Milwaukee, or Tomahawk plants... we have a several places in MN are vendors for HD, including one that does head castings..
thats correct.i was just asking.so harleys are assembled in the usa using no imported parts

I never said that, of course there are overseas parts  sourced,, hell they have been using showa forks since the 70's. but a major part of the bikes a made right here,, frame, sheet metal, power trains, and many other parts. even the stators are built right in Milwaukee, I've seen the machine that spits them out! I'm sorry but it bothers me when people calim "nothing HD" is make in America.. it's simply not true..
good information.just watched megafactories where they showed the making of the v-rod.a great show

Offline hogpipes1

• 49 FL Pan My 1st Bike in 1963
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 07:54:31 PM »
I had 3 AMF  Bikes ,  70 FLH ,, 76 FXE, &   80 FLT , Major cross country  trips on the 2 FL  bikes.. Never left me on the side of the rd, and  all my bikes  H-D  or AMF  needed  parts and wrenching .. Nothing like the  BS with the T-  Cams with  shifting Fly wheels or many bad comps yr after yr..    So AMF was ok  by me . but i would not pay extra  for  one  even in mint cond.

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 02:57:29 AM »
When I got my 76 I knew nothing about H-D and this one was 16 years old and worn out. After a lot of fixin there was a hit and run crash and most sheet metal went in the trash. At that point I decided just to make it my bike. I have many old parts and at some point I may go there but I would spend more than it's worth trying to get it back to factory stock.  It would never be all original. I have my eyes set on retirement and unless I win the lottery I am going to get real selective with my funds.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »
Nobody is going to get rich selling a Shovelhead, that's for sure. Might go broke owning one though!
 :hyst:

Hey Mark, look out your south window. Yeah that's me, down by Detroit waving at ya!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline david lee

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 02:01:31 AM »
Nobody is going to get rich selling a Shovelhead, that's for sure. Might go broke owning one though!

Hey Mark, look out your south window. Yeah that's me, down by Detroit waving at ya!

-JW
not riding one wont send you broke

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 02:40:01 AM »

-JW

Turn around, I'm SW from there!

Offline One4Tone

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 05:01:40 AM »
..unless you ride every day...and do cross country riding on a regular basis an older shovel will serve you fine. It will keep beer in the fridge and the dog well fed...and hopefully the OL happy...provided you have a backrest.

Offline Scott P

• www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 05:27:14 AM »

Especially if you were born in 1972!

That leaves me waaaay out......lol.

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 06:05:41 AM »

good information.just watched megafactories where they showed the making of the v-rod.a great show

Jeff, the engineer that is featured in that show is one of my best friends!!

Offline david lee

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »

Jeff, the engineer that is featured in that show is one of my best friends!!
and has a great job.did you buy one

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
I have a 2003 V-Rod ,, love the bike, does not fit me too well as I am 6'4" and around 250#s.. it is normally ridden by my wife and she can sit on it all day! it really bummer me out when the MOCO discontinued the V-Rod, I understand why they did, but I didn't like it.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 08:12:39 PM »
it really bummer me out when the MOCO discontinued the V-Rod, I understand why they did, but I didn't like it.

The best engine HD has built to date, IMO. The MoCo just did know what to do with it. A bit more stroke, maybe a few more cubes, different tune and slap it in a bagger.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 06:06:58 AM »
it really bummer me out when the MOCO discontinued the V-Rod, I understand why they did, but I didn't like it.

The best engine HD has built to date, IMO. The MoCo just did know what to do with it. A bit more stroke, maybe a few more cubes, different tune and slap it in a bagger.

I totally agree, one of the other problem is that the VR was never accepted by the "hard Core" riders,, you know the guys that ride 2-3,000 miles a year and have never ridden more that 200 miles in a day. I just would shake my head when these "hard cores" would stand in the showroom and say,, "that's not a Harley, it's a glorified Jap bike"

Online rbabos

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 08:39:23 AM »

While I don't disagree, this engine acceptance would be an issue, just like the Revolution engine was. Baggers are HD's bread and butter and would be like cutting your own throat. Tradition still rules over technology when it comes to sales. Hell, we both know by now the bagger engine should be a solid crank detuned 60* v4, ohc, liquid cooled integrated gearbox in around 180hp out of the box and be EPA legal. So much for tradition. :hyst:
Ron

Offline Burnout

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
Sounds like a Nova!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline Scott P

• www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 11:15:15 AM »

While I don't disagree, this engine acceptance would be an issue, just like the Revolution engine was. Baggers are HD's bread and butter and would be like cutting your own throat. Tradition still rules over technology when it comes to sales. Hell, we both know by now the bagger engine should be a solid crank detuned 60* v4, ohc, liquid cooled integrated gearbox in around 180hp out of the box and be EPA legal. So much for tradition. :hyst:
Ron

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 06:15:10 PM »
Motus?

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »

Ron
   The factory should have put out the documentery on the design & making of the Vrod when it FIRST came out , hell they just came out with the NEW motor ( twin cam) and this Vrod comes out of nowhere ,  :oops: , just like the FXRT ,they didn't push to hard on how it was designed .  :oops:

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2017, 05:23:01 PM »
The V rod engine is indeed kind of cool, I personally never cared much for the chassis though. I think if I was the dictator of Harley-Davidson, the motor would have ended up in a Sportster frame. I suppose some semblance of the engine will live on for a bit in those "Street" models.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline Scott P

• www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2017, 04:12:21 AM »
Now there is a thought.
The V-Rod engine in a conventional XL chassis.
Betch'a that would have been a hit.

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2017, 06:49:40 AM »
Now there is a thought.
The V-Rod engine in a conventional XL chassis.
Betch'a that would have been a hit.

Except I don't think it would have fit. The Rev motor was just too tall.
Happiness does not buy money.