Author Topic: Brake light switches  (Read 364 times)

Offline SanB2013

• Ride Wrench Ride
Brake light switches
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
I'm curious as to what the folks using front brake light switches are using. I've replaced 2 this season. They are the stock type purchased from aftermarket. Also my rear hydraulic takes significant pressure to work also.
1976 FXE

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
Re: Brake light switches
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
I replaced two within short order as well, but both were from the "aftermarket", which is basically total crap. I found a new old stock HD one, and so far that has held up OK. When it dies, as I'm told it surely will, I plan to do what a lot of dudes have already done: retrofit Evo or TC style control pods.

For the rear switch, they all fail in time. Suggest rounding up a new old stock one as well.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
The pressure activated hydraulic rear switch can be found at VW/dune buggy shops. A guy could rig one into his front hydraulic line if he wanted to.

If I recall correctly the front activates as it's released. I try to set up that one backed off enough so a jiggling lever isn't bottomed out and pounding on it.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline HarleyCharley

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 06:09:08 PM »
If the spring on the brake lever is weak, the handle will allow the switch to vibrate causing the brake light to rapidly turn on and off while riding down the road. This in affect will burn or carbonize the switch contacts. Stiffen the spring with a spacer or replace it with a stronger one will fix the problem.

charley

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
A guy older than me ( and I'm old) told me that the fumes from the brake fluid attack the contacts of all those switches. His solution was to apply a thin coat of RTV over the back of the switch after it was installed. Worked for me. Also, I would stay away from the "cheap" after market switches. Frank

Offline PIRSCH FIRE WAGON

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
I know the TSB for the newer bikes having issues eventually provided weatherproof connectors. I assume this was the last one as I have not seen one in a while. Perhaps using these would help. The i summize the theory was moisture was damaging the electrical components.
Tom

Offline eglideic

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
A guy older than me ( and I'm old) told me that the fumes from the brake fluid attack the contacts of all those switches. His solution was to apply a thin coat of RTV over the back of the switch after it was installed. Worked for me. Also, I would stay away from the "cheap" after market switches. Frank

TRUE. Back in the day, I've dissected aftermarket switches that failed and found that the plunger end, of the plastic piston, looked to have melted and deformed, I assumed from the brake fluid, and lost function.
 I would think all they would have to do (if they wanted to) was changed the chemical makeup of the plastic used for the piston, to resist the brake fluid. But that would drastically reduce sales of replacement switches.

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »
A guy could rig one into his front hydraulic line if he wanted to.

saw it done on an Evo years ago    :chop:

Online hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »
Front and rear hydraulic activated switch controls mount on the either the m/c or caliper banjo bolts.  I converted both on the Shovel and they are flawless.  Amazon has them, a lot of others places.

Goodridge 3/8-24 10mm Brake Light Switch Banjo Bolt for Harley-Davidson (CC14137)
by Goodridge
Link: http://a.co/0X6yoPF
John

Offline gryphon

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »
After having several rear switches fail over the years I installed one of the banjo bolt switches like hotrodshovel provided the link for. It's been years now and I have never had an issue since. My front is the later style and they seem to work okay. The problem with them is that if you do replace one you have to splice the wires into your harness.

Offline Burnout

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
Most shovels don't use banjo bolts either....

:soda:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline gryphon

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
I believe they have a version that will screw into the tee that the standard switch goes into. And yeah you're right, there's no banjo bolt. It's been a while since I ran shovel controls.

Online hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
My Shovel ain't 'most Shovels'.. thats for sure. :chop:
John