Author Topic: Prestolite and Hitachi starter bracket  (Read 272 times)

Offline btalley

• Site Supporter
Prestolite and Hitachi starter bracket
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »
Hello All,
I'm putting a shovelhead FXWG back together.  I bought a couple of battery tray brackets but it looks like the only work with a Hitachi starter.  Of course I have a Prestolite.

My question is did the Prestolite starters ever come as stock? 

I guess my bike never had the bracket that connects from the transmission to the battery tray.
I can't find a specific Prestolite bracket.

Thanks for the info. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
Re: Prestolite and Hitachi starter bracket
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
My 76 came with a Prestolite and I remember a bracket from the trans to starter. I think it went from two of the trans cover bolts to the lower bolt on the starter but it has been 15-16 years since I had the stock 4 speed and now I run an All Balls starter. There may have been spacers involved too. Memory is blurry.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline guppymech

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 02:40:49 AM »
Btalley, Are you showing in your pic that the bracket is offset too much to bolt to the starter and trans at the same time? I looked at my bike and I have a bracket like the one in your pic that connects to the top stud on the starter.  The top right hole on your bracket goes to the rubber mount between the bracket and battery tray.  The lower stud on the starter only has a ground wire going to it.  My bike is kick only now so I don't currently have the starter installed.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Online billbuilds

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 02:49:32 AM »
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.N8_2uijHx2amPgoRjC6DugDhCp&w=132&h=105&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2 

Sorry for the small photo.  This is the one used on FLH's w/ Prestolite starters. I believe the FX's all came with Hitachi's. Bill

Offline Burnout

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:43:27 AM »
I have had to make starter support brackets for Frankenstein assemblies to get the right offset.

The Prestolite motor is longer than the Hitachi. 

For 5 in a 4 speed case you will run into similar issues.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline btalley

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »
Thanks All!
So did anything with the Prestolite started not have anything that supported the battery tray?

B.

Online billbuilds

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
     The up to 1982 FLH's had two separate brackets for the starter and the front battery tray whereas the FXE's had one combination bracket. You can use some spacers and longer bolts to make the one you have work or try fabbing something up.  Bill

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.N8_2uijHx2amPgoRjC6DugDhCp&w=132&h=105&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2 

Sorry for the small photo.  This is the one used on FLH's w/ Prestolite starters. I believe the FX's all came with Hitachi's. Bill

That's the one I remember  :up:

Thanks All!
So did anything with the Prestolite started not have anything that supported the battery tray?

B.

As I recall on the FLHs there's a bracket going from trans up to right front corner of the battery tray and there's a isolation mount between the tray and that bracket,  When I went to a 5/4 trans I had to take some 1/8" flat stock and fab up a different mount. I made it wide enough to add another isolator next to the one in the factory location.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline btalley

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Last question.  On this post anyway.

So I rummage through my parts and take the starter back off because I have a Hitachi starter and housing.

Did the primary determine what starter and starter housing was used?  My primary has two studs coming out of it and the housing and starter bolt to it.
The Hitachi housing's holes are too small for these studs.

Thanks again.

Offline david lee

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »
is one starter better than the other.what would my 1980 lowrider have.i do know its still the original one from new.never been touched.thanks all

Online billbuilds

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
    The studs should be 1/4" thread.  The Hitachi starter drive housing uses two 1/4-20 bolts to hold it in place. Won't your starter drive housing at least start down the threaded portion of those studs? Seems like they get held up at the shoulder portion. There should be two locating pins in your starter drive housing and two holes to accept them in your primary. Just back out the studs and use 1/4-/20 bolts in their place and so long as your locating pins fit the holes in the starter drive boss on your inner primary you should be fine.

Online billbuilds

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »
is one starter better than the other.what would my 1980 lowrider have.i do know its still the original one from new.never been touched.thanks all

The Prestolite is, in my opinion, the better of the two starters. Your 1980 FXS should have a Hitachi.