Author Topic: Lift table  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
Re: Lift table
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »
Reason #317 for buying a lift...

You can slide out one of the cross poles & use it to get the comp off   :up: :up:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Offline RKRuss

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2017, 12:30:08 AM »
Can I tell you guys a funny story. It's a bit long-winded but bear with me!

I read this thread last week and couldn't help but be impressed with the images of the Handy lift that some of you had posted. I started to google them and even watched a few YouTube videos, including one that was filmed in the factory in Iowa. I was really taken with the quality and workmanship in them and the fact that they are obviously built to last for years. I am very fond of good quality gear and always try and buy the best quality that I can realistically afford.

Being in Australia I just knew that Handy lifts would be very thin on the ground here and the price of a new one shipped to my home would likely be well out of reach.

Last Friday I went to a local goods and chattels auction to bid on an old car trailer that I had my eye on. Anyway, the bidding went way higher than I was prepared to pay, so I let it go. I was planning on heading off straight away but then realised I didn't need to be anywhere else, so I hung around to watch the auction for a little while.

About a dozen lots later the auctioneer says, "Okay buyers we'll move on to the next one and here we have the Handy ATV lift."

I was trying to see where it was but couldn't see it. All I could see was what looked like a sheet of form ply sitting on top of something on a timber pallet. Obviously it didn't look appealing to anyone there and it was passed in with no bids. The buyers and auctioneer moved on and I stayed right there to check this thing out.

Sure enough it was a genuine Handy SAM 1000lb lift and came with the two side extensions, the ramp, the moving dolly and all. The previous owner had fixed a sheet of form ply on top of it to protect the surface and probably make it a little more grippy. It had been kept in great condition.

Some quick negotiations with the auction people saw me heading out with it loaded onto my truck for a total cost of 400 bucks.

Sometimes things just seem to have an uncanny knack of falling into place. I reckon Ol' Samuel might have been watching over me and whispered quietly in my ear, "don't rush off son, there's something here with my name on it that you'll be needing."

RIP Samuel, Grumpy, Bubbie et al.

Cheers,

Russ.

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2017, 12:39:24 AM »
well done   :up:     :SM:

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2017, 05:15:53 AM »
Sweet deal! Congrats.
You won't know how you lived without it.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline Leed

• Site Supporter
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »
Iíd have to check but I think my direct lift is about 11-12 years old now. Previously I had put my shovel together from the frame up on a bike jack and swore never again.  I did not know what I had been missing.

Itís no Handy but I donít make my living wrenching scoots either.  No problem so far.

You're not kidding about the bike jack. I've done two sets of cams on a jack, this after working on my table for years, and swore never again.
Guess what I'm doing next month? Yup, cams on a bike jack at a good friends house. I'm lucky to have good friends, so a minor sacrifice, but not looking forward to it.

I did cams on my 06 with a jack and they would have to be really good friends before I tortured myself doing another set on a jack.  My lift paid for itself when I had to replace my main drive gear this year.

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »
The more I think about it, I may just load my table up and bring it over.
Or get the bike to my garage, and keep the wife's car outside in the snow.
Maybe not. Looks like I'm loading the table up.

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2017, 05:46:08 PM »
Russ, I'd say that was a score...very well done. Thats how it happens. When you are not expecting it things turn up.  Cool :up:
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Offline Arch

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
 :up: :up:
it becomes a great work space when there isn't a bike on it

:agree:   there's a lawn mower on my lift waiting a new rope pull start   :crook:

Offline WhipLash96

• No Mobiling Like HarleyMobiling
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2017, 05:12:01 AM »
Yep, I have the same lift as well but with a different sticker on it. That lift has made me some money so I am happy with it. I think that I will be buying another one soon.
Thanks,
Whip

Offline otter10111

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2017, 04:17:29 PM »
So I pulled the trigger, went and picked it up. It seems like it will do the job. Looks like the only thing I might have to do is reinforce the left side extension. I have to park on it daily and thereís a bit of flex in the side extension. Also add some non slip grip tape or maybe rhino line the ramp and side extensions for grip, I donít want to go siding off the dang thing.

Offline otter10111

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
Hereís a couple more

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2017, 05:00:03 PM »
Pro Cycle Direct Lift from Greg Smith. This pic shows what a cheap bastard I am using 2X10s for side extensions. I ran 3/4" pipe through the holes in the frame to support them.  Stair tread tape on the ramp is a must. I can get a Polaris 500 ATV on the 2x10s. 2X12s would've been better.

Without the side lumber (I just couldn't bring myself to say side wood).

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:05:08 PM by 76shuvlinoff »
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline otter10111

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
Looks like your getting your moneys worth   :SM:

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
Looks like your getting your moneys worth   :SM:

It handles the shovel fine. I have to make sure the air compressor is all the way up for the 12 Ultra.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline otter10111

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
My little porter cable pancake compressor seems to have plenty of pressure for mine. My foot peddle takes some getting used to.

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »
Hereís a couple more

Interesting about the side extensions flex. My Direct Lift (like the one above) has 3 cross poles to prevent that. I'm too lazy to put in all 3, and I also park on mine daily... no issues so far. I think you'll be fine.

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2017, 05:32:37 PM »
Pro Cycle Direct Lift from Greg Smith. This pic shows what a cheap bastard I am using 2X10s for side extensions. I ran 3/4" pipe through the holes in the frame to support them.  Stair tread tape on the ramp is a must. I can get a Polaris 500 ATV on the 2x10s. 2X12s would've been better.

Without the side lumber (I just couldn't bring myself to say side wood).

You're probably better off with the wood lumber extensions. The steel ones are heavy... and to me they're just in the way once I get the bike up.

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2017, 06:23:07 PM »
This pic shows what a cheap bastard I am using 2X10s for side extensions.

no that's smart   :up:    :SM:

Offline harleytuner

• Wide Open Cycles
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2017, 05:23:06 AM »
I bought my first Handy when i lived in Ohio.  There was a distriubutor a little mote than any hour from my house so i went and picked it up there. I have another  one now and a direct lift.  I have a line on 3 more Handy lifts from a shop that is closing, when I get them I'll ditch the direct
Enjoying the hell out of my "hotted" up twincam

Offline cbumdumb

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
Just ordered a lift through work .now waiting for it to come in. Got a Forward lift coming in the drop tail one

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
Let us know how you like it. How much did it cost, if I might ask. Their site doesn't have pricing.

Offline road-dawgs1

• Road Dawgs (Vermont chapter)
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
So I pulled the trigger, went and picked it up. It seems like it will do the job. Looks like the only thing I might have to do is reinforce the left side extension. I have to park on it daily and thereís a bit of flex in the side extension. Also add some non slip grip tape or maybe rhino line the ramp and side extensions for grip, I donít want to go siding off the dang thing.

Nice! That looks just like my Pro 1200, right down to the crate it was packed in which I see in the background.
'08 anniversary Ultra with stuff

Offline cbumdumb

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2017, 04:16:01 PM »
With tax 1300 Napa had them for 2400 list but on sale for right under 1100

Offline Thermodyne

• Site Supporter
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Reason #317 for buying a lift...

You can slide out one of the cross poles & use it to get the comp off   :up: :up:

(Attachment Link)

I just put a wrench on the Compensator hex, then use my 1/2 impact on em. 

Using some heat, actually a lot of heat, on that bolt makes them come out with a lot less effort.  And helps insure that the threads don't bugger up in the Sprocket shaft. 

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
Alright I'm ready to get flogged here but I just bought my 2nd Harbor Freight lift.  The first one I sold because I moved back up north and it was not worth the effort transporting it.  So now that I'm re settled I got a new one.   The front wheel contraption is useless and I installed a real chock.  Also the new one is without air and only foot pump.
The first one gave me 5 years of uninterrupted service, mind you I'm only working on one of my two bikes and its not lifting and lowering several times a day, not even once a day unless I do something quick as maintenance but usually my Shovelhead lives on it.  Even parked when lowered.
When I do something like a top end job or pull the motor or whatever, it stays locked at work height so there is no stress on the cheap (Im well aware of this) hydraulic pump.

Well all that is the long way of saying I'm easy on the lift and I know that extends its life.  For my purposes it earns its measly $275.00 price tag and suits my needs.  I know its a cheap piece of s#it compared to Handy and the rest but I gotta work within my means.  Besides since I can't have everything I'd rather dump ridiculous amounts of money into the bikes themselves.    Hows that for rationalizing?

Give me time and I'll rationalize buying a Handy or equivalent the first time this thing gets stuck raised with a bike on top.(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John