Author Topic: oil deflector  (Read 180 times)

Offline dirtymike

oil deflector
« on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »
Took the starter out for a rebuild and found the oil deflector shaft hole in a deformed oval shape. I'll try to send a pic. Dirty

Online packrat56

• packrat56
Re: oil deflector
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:46 AM »
    I never run one on mine,, but check the Bendix engagement
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

Offline jeffscycle

• Site Supporter
  • 99 Dyna, XRD Racer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
    check both end bearings, if the plate gets that wallowed out, one end or the other could be bad. The plate itself as a sealing device is kind of a joke, but consider when it came out, it meant 2-3 less drops on the ground, so for that purpose it helps marginally.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »
Is the needle bearing in your outer primary still there?
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
The needle bearing in the starter housing shows no wear, applied grease just like i do every time the starter is out and apart. The needle bearing in the outer primary is new. I replaced the 9 hole chrome POS from CC to a 8 hole OEM outer last year. Guess I'll have to take a look. I'm on the other side right now, limited space. Got to turn her around. Thanks Dirty

Offline crock

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:49:29 AM »
Didn't you just put that primary on bout a year ago? On last tear down mine was looking kinda like you're describing. My local indi had one that was heaver gauge and coated in rubber and seemed to have what looked like a lip seal built in. Don't remember the brand but most seals and gasket I get from him are either James or Cometic
Crock

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 06:03:08 AM »
Yep i sure did Crock. Had problems finding the right bearing as i recall. I noticed oil build up around the starter housing and pulled it. Hard to believe oil is making its way that far up. the drain hole in the gear housing was pretty nasty to. The oil deflector metal around the O ring is a bit flimsy. Some don't even run them. If I'm going to replace it i won't to get something that will last. I'll tear into the other side and take a look. Either this is a common problem or i have something misaligned. back at it. Dirty