Author Topic: Stock Exhaust on a Mild Build?  (Read 677 times)

Offline WhipLash96

• No Mobiling Like HarleyMobiling
Stock Exhaust on a Mild Build?
« on: December 09, 2017, 06:16:54 AM »
How many of you are using the stock exhaust on your mildly upgraded EVO? I have a friend that is looking to have his 98 Wide Glide kicked up a couple of notches. I am helping him with this build so he can save some money as money is tight for him. If you aren't using the stock exhaust, suggestions are welcomed. Thank You.
Thanks,
Whip

Online thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
Re: Stock Exhaust on a Mild Build?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:34:37 AM »
Remeber the engine is an air pump...the right exhaust will add the TQ and HP.
Factory exhaust is usually the first thing to throw in the trash
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »
No point in performance enhancements if the exhaust is going to be the choke point. Not enough information to make suggestions.
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Online thumper 823

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
Thunder headers-Are they still a good overall choice?
Last I knew they were pretty good.

Offline tmwmoose

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »
Evo headers and good slip ons have always been a good EVO exhaust. My FXR with a mild 80" and then a Ultima 107 uses the OEM headers and Cycle Shack muffs and lately a pr of Supertrapp 3" disc muffs. Ran awesome,same result on the dyno. Patience and perseverance will land you a set of obsoleted Cycle Shack slip-ons off eBay before the snow melts. The "early" SE muffs were Cycle Shacks also if you get the slash cuts there easy to slightly modify the baffle but not to much don't get carried away

Offline Thermodyne

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 08:25:21 AM »
I run oem exhaust on both of my FXR's.

The 2000 is a mild Evo.  80inch, EV27, spark box, breather and a tune.  The cans are just punched.

The 84 is a little stouter.  80 inch 10.5:1, Ported heads w 1.90 intakes, spark box, ect.
Early high crossover H-pipe with -82 glass pack cans. 

What can I say, I like the way stagers look. 

Offline Burnout

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »
Do Not use drag pipes if you want a performance increase.

A couple of the best exhaust systems are a Thunder Header or a SuperTrapp 2:1 or the White Bros E series (if you can find one)

FuelMoto has a Jackpot pipe but I don't think they make one for an EVO. Two Bros Racing is making a very nice pipe for the FXR that may fit your application

Right behind that is a Vance & Hines Pro Pipe, and I say behind because it does not have the long primary pipe for the rear cylinder so this pipe leaves some torque on the table from idle to 3000. right where you need it for the street. I was also impressed with their plating 15 years ago, hope it's still as good.

For a budget build I would use slip on mufflers with the stock HD headers, unless you have a touring model. The touring models have the worst exhaust HD ever made, and then used it on the heaviest model that needed the torque the most. ThunderHeader offered a long rear primary 2:1 single side exhaust that worked the best. True duals suck, they leave huge piles of power on the table and are capable of eliminating any "personality" your cam has. If you want the balanced look install a dummy exhaust on the left side!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline tdrglide

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 08:35:45 AM »
For a mild build, what about a proper set of slip-on's on stock exhaust pipes. Probably find something on ebay or craigslist cheap.
I run stock exhaust pipes with cycle shack slip-on's on a mild build fxr now.  I ran their slip-on's on 94 fxd back in the 90's. I remember they worked pretty good. A bit loud. No longer available new, but ebay, craigslist....

Offline Thermodyne

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 08:43:59 AM »
For a mild build, what about a proper set of slip-on's on stock exhaust pipes. Probably find something on ebay or craigslist cheap.
I run stock exhaust pipes with cycle shack slip-on's on a mild build fxr now.  I ran their slip-on's on 94 fxd back in the 90's. I remember they worked pretty good. A bit loud. No longer available new, but ebay, craigslist....

The oem stagger pipes will make horse power to equal more or less any of the aftermarket pipes, its just a matter of finding good cans.  And that's a little hard to do these days.  The -82 cans were always to go to pieces, but they have gotten real rare.  And most of the aftermarket has stopped making cans for FXR's.  More or less any of the aftermarket setups will give good service, with the exception of Short Shots.  And Thunder headers have a nasty habit of breaking at the collector on FXR's.  The ones to stay away from are the cans with the flap baffle bolted in.

Offline tdrglide

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »
OP has a dynamic wide glide I believe. Slip-on's I'm running on a fxr originally came off a soft tail.  I had a local muffler shop make a small modification to the inlets and was good to go. So that may be an option if you can't find model specific

Offline tdrglide

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
Dyna wide glide  (stupid spell check)

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies gentleman as always great information. Here is what I found that I think he would be happy with. Thoughts?

https://products.vanceandhines.com/store/harley/16837/
Thanks,
Whip

Online thumper 823

Offline Thermodyne

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
OP has a dynamic wide glide I believe. Slip-on's I'm running on a fxr originally came off a soft tail.  I had a local muffler shop make a small modification to the inlets and was good to go. So that may be an option if you can't find model specific

The Dyna cans are the same as one of the FXR cans (Front IIRC).  The Dyna ran two cans of the same PN, while the FXR had a front can and a rear can.  The difference it the TBolt bracket location, so running them is just a question of adapting the cross bar. 

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-exhaust.html

Thanks for posting this, but I understand the importance of the system.  :wink: My question was based off the fact that I just don't have a lot of experience with the EVO so I don't know what people do to these engines or what is available for them. Personally, I like the stock header pipes as it has the tube connecting the front and rear pipes so the savaging is present. However, the stock mufflers are just too small for sure.
Thanks,
Whip

Offline tdrglide

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 10:08:25 AM »
I think those Vance and Hines slip-on's would look real nice on a clean 20 yr old basically stock motorcycle. Be my choice.
By mild build I am assuming bolt in cam, air cleaner and exhaust.

Offline Burnout

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
For a mild street build you want TORQUE not HP. You are not building a motor that is going to spend much (if any) time 4000 to 6000 RPM.

That is why I went straight to the 2:1 pipes, it is easy to wander of into marketing land and get caught up in peak HP numbers.

Remember HP is fictional, HP is a mathematical expression latched onto by marketing dweebs to impress FARMERS.

Torque is a real unit of work, torque is what a dyno measures.
The "area under the torque curve" is what you feel.
So many get caught up in HP numbers (looking at the wrong end of the dyno chart) they forget Torque is what gets the bike rolling.
Dyno builders are also caught in this dilemma, the first thing a farmer wants to know after a dyno run is a PEAK HP #!
They are looking at a dyno sheet with blinders created by marketing dweebs.
Many exhaust designs are based on looks or tradition and completely ignore TORQUE.
Most (if not all) exhaust MFGRs buy into this and make no mention of torque, only PEAK HP.
Because they are selling exhaust to farmers
These exhaust designs have dips in the torque curve that kill momentum when pulling through the gears.
This makes the rider increase the revs to avoid this dip, but given the HD's best RPM range shifting usually drops you right in the middle of the dip.
No gain except in noise level, and noise equals power to most farmers so they are happy.

Offline Reddog74usa

• Site Supporter
  • "BE YOUR OWN DAWG"
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »
As said, the stock header pipes work very well with a nice set of CS slip-ons on a mild build. One of my fav's is a V-Thunder 3010 bolt in cam, DTT iggy, Mik 42 and a set of stock head pipes with the mentioned CS slip-ons. GREAT bang for the buck and lot's of fun in my FXR. Great street manners, very quiet valve train and power right where you ride. Just twist the grip a little and woooosh you just passed that truck with no downshift needed. Also, as mentioned, don't get caught up in the marketing hype and waste a ton of money. Good luck, RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
I'm no stranger to building engines and I agree with all that has been said.  :bike:
Thanks,
Whip

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »
I think those Vance and Hines slip-on's would look real nice on a clean 20 yr old basically stock motorcycle. Be my choice.
By mild build I am assuming bolt in cam, air cleaner and exhaust.

I think so too. Vance and Hines makes some good stuff that is for sure.
Thanks,
Whip

Offline Burnout

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »

V&H has great fit and finish on all their exhaust products I have seen.

A lot of their exhaust products don't fall into the best performing category, they are made to appeal to the looks and sound crowd.

I would bless the ProPipe and their slip on mufflers as fine performance gear.
I am not familiar with their whole current product line so there may be others that perform equally well.

Non-stock bikes may/will need custom exhaust made to fit correctly.
Strokers need pipes adjusted to clear the trans and cam chest correctly.
Bikes with altered controls may also need other considerations.

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 05:44:32 AM »

V&H has great fit and finish on all their exhaust products I have seen.

A lot of their exhaust products don't fall into the best performing category, they are made to appeal to the looks and sound crowd.

I would bless the ProPipe and their slip on mufflers as fine performance gear.
I am not familiar with their whole current product line so there may be others that perform equally well.

Non-stock bikes may/will need custom exhaust made to fit correctly.
Strokers need pipes adjusted to clear the trans and cam chest correctly.
Bikes with altered controls may also need other considerations.

:agree:, however those mufflers that I posted will do a lot more for his bike than the shitty stock mufflers with modified baffles that he has in his bike now. :smiled:
Thanks,
Whip

Offline Burnout

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
Absolutely!

Punching holes in stock mufflers is futile, once you get the hole open big enough they sound horrible and are still fairly restrictive.

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
Absolutely!

Punching holes in stock mufflers is futile, once you get the hole open big enough they sound horrible and are still fairly restrictive.
:agree:
Thanks,
Whip

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 01:28:27 PM »
Slip ons are the way to go, the cross over will allow more performance through the same size muffler compared to the VH head pipes.
The best set-up I have seen is the Stock Twin cam Dyna head pipes with the cross tube down by the muffler. They bolt right on an Evo and clean up the veiw of the engine. It also makes jetting a lot easier.

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
Slip ons are the way to go, the cross over will allow more performance through the same size muffler compared to the VH head pipes.
The best set-up I have seen is the Stock Twin cam Dyna head pipes with the cross tube down by the muffler. They bolt right on an Evo and clean up the veiw of the engine. It also makes jetting a lot easier.

This is exactly where he has his crossover, right by the mufflers just behind the tranny cover. :smiled:
Thanks,
Whip

Offline 94wideglide

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
I run this exact exhaust on my 94 FXDWG with a EV27 and SE II slip-ons and it made 94hp and 100tq. Nothing wrong with this combonation that I have found.

Offline tmwmoose

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
I run this exact exhaust on my 94 FXDWG with a EV27 and SE II slip-ons and it made 94hp and 100tq. Nothing wrong with this combonation that I have found.

Is there anything else done to this motor at these numbers? :soda:

Online thumper 823

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »

Is there anything else done to this motor at these numbers? :soda:

Me curious Tooo!    :fish:

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
That would be a gain of about 30 horsepower with just a cam change. Very impressive, but I had to do heads, a 2 into 1 pipe, and a bigger carb to achieve that type of gain.
I don't doubt that it runs very nicely. I saw your graph in the dyno section. It just seems optimistic.
Happiness does not buy money.

Online thumper 823

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 02:32:44 PM »
I am not going to start poowing, I just am doubtful.
I have done WAY more than that and would guess a 100 Hp as will pass  a F6B  like it is up on the stand.
I just dont see a cam and exhaust netting that kind of power .

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »
Looks like he listed the rest in the dyno section. It is only his 5th post here.

http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=101846.msg1198255#msg1198255

Online thumper 823

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
sORRY
.O40 AND SQUAT.

I do mean this most CORDIALLY.
Sincerely, I doubt it .
'That means my DM cam
port job, Aztell piston and cylinders, 10.5 to 1 , Double plug
TwinnTech and so much more.... was all a waste of time...............

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »
That would be a gain of about 30 horsepower with just a cam change. Very impressive, but I had to do heads, a 2 into 1 pipe, and a bigger carb to achieve that type of gain.
I don't doubt that it runs very nicely. I saw your graph in the dyno section. It just seems optimistic.

I forgot, I also did a big bore kit with the cams, heads, pipe, and carb to gain 33 horsepower on a Twin Cam.
Stock Evos usually make about 60 horsepower at best. A gain of 34 horsepower on .040 bore and a cam, especially just a 27, is just hard to swallow.
Again, I'm sure it runs well, just thinking it was a happy dyno.
This is a tough crowd sometimes on this site when it comes to power claims. Don't take it personally, everyone here gets slayed.

Online thumper 823

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »
I thought we were being rather polite.....
i think it is purrfectly OK to disagree.
i have a friend out on the west coast that does Porsche cars on the dyno.
He says he can make a dyno say anything he wants,  .... if he wanted to be dishonest......
SOOO
that thought just turned on a light...
If i owned a shop and did dubious work but could amp sales with dyno charts...
AHEM

Online thumper 823

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdbuildstage3_95.htm

Its not posable to get a 100 HP rise without either Bumping the CR or going forced induction.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »
I had a 80" with STD heads, J&E pistons, 10.3 cr, DM.580 cam, S&S E, Supertrapp 2X1, 86hp/ 93tq. I spent way too much money it seems.  :wink:

In the Heads on a Evo thread he did indicate he had head work. I'd be interested in who ported them.
East Tenn.

Online thumper 823

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
I guess I read it too wrong or too fast..even so
The CR would have to come up a couple of points.

It's all good.
I needed something to rant about tonight.
I need to dyno mine -
By this sited example, I must have about a 150HP...................

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »
I did not see that the heads were flowed either, along with an E carb. That would definitely help get the horsepower up.

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 07:17:49 PM »
Two things that stand out to me.
 At .040 over a 80" is now 83.57 ci so that comes out to 1.13 hp/ci which good but not at all unbelievable.
 The name of the dyno shop, if he did the work and tune I would say it's his mild build.

Offline pwmorris

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »
Incredible......
Take a stock, crate from the MOCO, 8.5 CR 80" EVO, Add a flowing exhaust, and a "magical" cam, and pick up 30 plus HP and 25 plus TQ over stock! Wow!
Post the sheet as I am a big time fan!!!
8 X HP SHOOTOUT WINNER-3 X BEST OF SHOW
S&S 9 SECOND CLUB MEMBER-NHRA# SP781

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2017, 06:32:01 PM »
He did post it in the dyno section. I can't link it from my phone.
It had flowed heads and an "E" carb as well.

Online thumper 823

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »
Yes, it was posted..But I don't believe it.
Here is one reason.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdeds3h1010.htm

it takes some serious work to broach a 100 HP from a little EVO
Yes it is done nowadays all the time, but a cam, exhaust, and ported heads will not do it.
Like said - the CR has to be bumped.

Offline pwmorris

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
Lol..
Damn I love the BS from these fantasy sheets....an EVO - crate - ( which come from the real world, not the "fantasy world"), the Stock 80" in the 1990's, is still at 8.5-1 compression, so........your engine is around 9.0-1 with a compression building cam like a EV13 or EV27 to get maybe 170 CR-

100 HP lol! Nitrous maybe???
Done this build many times.....
As said, better bump the comp with piston, big time heads etc....
Reality check- so now we are at a full rebuild, heads, compression pipe, etc...

LMAO....cam and pipe, my ass...

No Free Lunch-

Offline pwmorris

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »
Bullshit-
Just a cam and pipe he said...now YOU say add worked heads, what else? You sure there is NO comp bump and Pistons?
This is getting ridiculous...

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2017, 09:24:43 PM »

Bullshit-
Just a cam and pipe he said...now YOU say add worked heads, what else? You sure there is NO comp bump and Pistons?
This is getting ridiculous...

Those extra specs were listed in the title of his dyno sheet. 40 over bore, which means pistons (high comp?), flowed heads (shaved?), plus the rest.
 But not mentioned in this thread. Here he just said a cam and slip on mufflers.
So yes, it is getting ridiculous. Cams and mufflers did not yield 94 horsepower.

http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=101846.0

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »
Am I the only one that read the last post on that link?

:scratch:

Ported heads, 10.5:1 pistons...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline Deye76

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »
IIRC Andrews says 9.5:1 maximum compression for the EV27. If at 10.5, have to wonder how easily it will ping.
East Tenn.

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »
Am I the only one that read the last post on that link?

:scratch:

Ported heads, 10.5:1 pistons...

-JW

I think that got posted after my response. Seems a proper build.

Online thumper 823

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »
IIRC Andrews says 9.5:1 maximum compression for the EV27. If at 10.5, have to wonder how easily it will ping.

I have double plug 10.5:1  Cr and a DM 530 Cam.
No problem.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2017, 04:51:40 AM »
From Mackie's web site, "Excellent for 80, 88 and 89 inchers. Likes 8.5 to 10.0 C.R. 2000 to 6000+. High performance springs recommended."

EV27 is a bolt in. Mackie doesn't say what max CR is suggested. A half point not too bad, but a full point could be the difference between a strong motor and a ping monster.
East Tenn.

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 05:52:39 AM »
From Mackie's web site, "Excellent for 80, 88 and 89 inchers. Likes 8.5 to 10.0 C.R. 2000 to 6000+. High performance springs recommended."

EV27 is a bolt in. Mackie doesn't say what max CR is suggested. A half point not too bad, but a full point could be the difference between a strong motor and a ping monster.

You can't take Andrews recommended bolt in compression ratios as the last word, particulairly on the old Evo stuff. Back then half the guys were taking out the junk stock ignition boxes and installing points. Andrews never had a dyno or test bikes they went off 1980's math and feedback from the few builders they talked with.

Now stock bikes crank 205-215 lbs and we have DTT ignitions with custom timing maps, better combustion chambers, higher speed ports, better exhaust or at least no drag pipes so tuning is much better all around. The spec sheeet in the dyno section lists they used a 10.5 dome piston, but does not say what the compression is, the pistons are down -.007, we don't know what head gasket, no head cc's, and he has not done a CCP test. Most guys cut the heads a ton so they don't need to but pistons, he needed pistons so if the chambers grew with the head work and bigger valves, the domed pistons may be making some of that back up. If it did come out to actually be 10.5 static the BB calculator says 201 CCP at 990" with the EV27. I would bet it is no where near that but would be tunable even if it was.

The biggest problem with compression or big cubic inch on the Evo was hard starting and it says no releases, stock battery and starter so I would doubt it was crazy high CCP.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
All good points. :up:
Still would like to know who ported the heads, as 100hp in a 80" with a bolt in cam is phenomenal. IMHO
East Tenn.