Author Topic: S&S 143" INSTEAD OF S&S 124'  (Read 3118 times)

Offline pwmorris

Re: S&S 143" INSTEAD OF S&S 124'
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »
143" hands down. have heard nothing but good/great things about this motor.
Crate set up, with mild cam and comp-no oil or valve train issues. None that I have heard from S&S either....unless you are talking about their drag race Dragon, then as in all drag applications, all bets are off.
If any issues, post them.
Of course a custom exhaust is needed, as it will be with a properly done 124" or any large motor. Clutch, and other areas as well need to be addressed.
Unless doing, regular, dedicated, long distance touring (and I would go stock, or maybe a stage 1 or 2 for that and leave it as is), the 143" can be King Kong....or a fun, all around mild assassin.
Change the cam to a EZ .640 and get mild daily driving roll on power. Remember, the original goal of that motor was to get a street bagger in the 9's-
8 X HP SHOOTOUT WINNER-3 X BEST OF SHOW
S&S 9 SECOND CLUB MEMBER-NHRA# SP781

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
143" hands down. have heard nothing but good/great things about this motor.
Crate set up, with mild cam and comp-no oil or valve train issues. None that I have heard from S&S either....unless you are talking about their drag race Dragon, then as in all drag applications, all bets are off.
If any issues, post them.
Of course a custom exhaust is needed, as it will be with a properly done 124" or any large motor. Clutch, and other areas as well need to be addressed.
Unless doing, regular, dedicated, long distance touring (and I would go stock, or maybe a stage 1 or 2 for that and leave it as is), the 143" can be King Kong....or a fun, all around mild assassin.
Change the cam to a EZ .640 and get mild daily driving roll on power. Remember, the original goal of that motor was to get a street bagger in the 9's-
Well Steve is working on it but suspect that the compression ratio will change a tad. And some exhaust that is made for a 143 stepped and coated , I never had any intention of dumbing down the engine

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
Re doing a 143 now to make it more user friendly and it will make as much " = more) than with the Ho cam .  Taking care of the oiling issue as well when we swap the cams .
  This is the goal , I really like smooth linear power or one that smooth down low but when your on the throttle different engine lol

Offline pwmorris

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 06:55:07 PM »
Re doing a 143 now to make it more user friendly and it will make as much " = more) than with the Ho cam .  Taking care of the oiling issue as well when we swap the cams .
  This is the goal , I really like smooth linear power or one that smooth down low but when your on the throttle different engine lol[/b][/i]
Yup-
That's how my street 126" is now, but with your additional cubes.....damn-just more, more, more!
I actually have no idea what cam profile would give that type of result at your much bigger cube level...hell, maybe even the old .675 like I use.
Look forward to seeing what Steve comes up with, but I love the EZ start feature to turn over that much real estate...no matter how much heat soak in summer the motor sees-

Online HighLiner

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
Oh man, just build the motor from pieces and better yet make it a square 131 if going for all the good stuff from S&S.

Can you buy just the 143 cylinders?

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
Ad 40 to the Hp/Tq of your 113  numbers thats what you get with the T143 engine out of the box, skip the 124 go big..

Now wait just a doggone minute  :doh:...weren't you getting away from your beast and trading for something more tame?   :pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 09:58:37 PM »

Oh man, just build the motor from pieces and better yet make it a square 131 if going for all the good stuff from S&S.

I have always been intrigued with this combo - what are the pros and cons to a 131?
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
  • there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »
Post the sheet . I am sure many others would like to see the curve with a 640 in a 143 .

it sure would interest me.
I'd like to see what the 640's do in a 143. I'd also love to see what a set of 630i's would do in one too.
Damn...if I was only rich.   :hyst:
08 FLHX 124", wfolarry 110 heads, CR630i cams, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 07:14:27 AM »
Well we are doing the 640 here in house with the 1.7 rocker a bump in comp ratio as well .  Pipe wise i will have 3 to test  The bassani , the D&D mega which will be on the bike when it leaves and a SPF custom built pipe   

dont worry Ray I will post up results  :up:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:42:13 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 07:17:56 AM »

I have always been intrigued with this combo - what are the pros and cons to a 131?

THE R&R 131 I did a while back made great power and tq super easy to tune ran the 640 and was only pumping like 170 CCP or maybe 180 Been too long now .

Offline kboarts

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:51 PM »
Ii have one in my daily rider.  It is a 02 RK.  It's made the trip to Sturgis and back twice.  It is a little twitchy at first because of the big throttle plate.  A little throttle goes a long way off of idle but I got used to is very fast and now it is smooth as silk.  More an issue of retraining the hand not to grab more throttle than you really want.  I don't baby it.  It hits the rev limiter a couple of times a day.  So far it has been reliable and extremely fun.  It is actually quieter than the stock engine was as far as valve train noise.

Offline groundhog143

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
 :agree:

Offline pwmorris

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 04:33:44 PM »
Ii have one in my daily rider.  It is a 02 RK.  It's made the trip to Sturgis and back twice.  It is a little twitchy at first because of the big throttle plate.  A little throttle goes a long way off of idle but I got used to is very fast and now it is smooth as silk.  More an issue of retraining the hand not to grab more throttle than you really want.  I don't baby it.  It hits the rev limiter a couple of times a day.  So far it has been reliable and extremely fun.  It is actually quieter than the stock engine was as far as valve train noise.
Spoken from a couple guys who actually know-first hand. :up: :up:

THE R&R 131 I did a while back made great power and tq super easy to tune ran the 640 and was only pumping like 170 CCP or maybe 180 Been too long now .
Steve,
I remember that motor, and a super cool owner of that bike. As I remember you pulled some compression out of it for more of a tourer.
Super smooth, big power, and excellent reliablilty.
Look forward to the "tweaked" 143" results....not so much peak power, but low and mid speed manners for all around putting. Very few will ever use 6 grand plus upstairs on a regular street basis for that beast!

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 06:02:02 AM »
Spoken from a couple guys who actually know-first hand. :up: :up:

Steve,
I remember that motor, and a super cool owner of that bike. As I remember you pulled some compression out of it for more of a tourer.
Super smooth, big power, and excellent reliablilty.
Look forward to the "tweaked" 143" results....not so much peak power, but low and mid speed manners for all around putting. Very few will ever use 6 grand plus upstairs on a regular street basis for that beast! You are correct I will want to install a meth kit as its not his primary touring bike and lean into the comp ratio  no reason not to it will drive the tq up and make more on the big end as well WIN WIN   

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
Well I don't drag race any more that was a long time ago lol . But I damn sure want my bikes to run. Sure the lc 124 is a great engine but not for me . I just like the rush I get from a engine that pulls hard to the rev limiter , There is a reason why I took my bikes to Steve , I came out of Bowie last week end with the 124 that Steve rebuilt and I gave it a tad to much throttle two up as usual and it broke loose  in second . Just right lol the way I like a engine to run not lay over
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:12:42 PM by 1workinman »

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 10:23:32 AM »
  I know this not about what I want , I just happen to own both a 124 and 143 . Truth is if you build a 124 that runs like Rays, Rons and several others that are damn close to the 143 well not sure you gain any thing here. I don't find any thing wrong with SS quality , first rate . Sure there are things that I prefer so I like a purpose built engine, just me . just like the lc 124 and the hc 124 , the 143 I think can be improved on . All these things center around what your goals are and the type of bike you ride . Like a very smart guy told me once you need to be honest with your self and where you ride most of the time. I just want the damn thing to run what is it going to take lol . My brother use to blow by me on his bike and I had a 96 inch with fish tail exhaust . I got damn tired of that lol . I was ok in spending a couple of dollars to fix that

Offline K4FXD

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »
My .02

Get the 143, if it is too twitchy swap to a smaller cam.

If it was me and I went with the 124 I'd always be thinking, "what if"
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »

Can you buy just the 143 cylinders?
Yes by all means, 910-0562

Online mike jesse

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
S&S offers their case bored for 4.375  in. dia. cylinders, I sure don't see any in the catalog.
Maybe thats a CTO?

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
  • there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
 I tried for over a year to get S&S cylinders for a set of S&S 4 3/8" bore cases.
I was wanting to build a 4 3/8" bore X 4 3/8" stroke engine. This was just after the release of the 143...and I couldn't get any where with them. For what ever reason...I got no where. I kept hearing the same thing over and over again...we'll have to get back to you on that. I finally gave up on the idea.

08 FLHX 124", wfolarry 110 heads, CR630i cams, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
  My brother use to blow by me on his bike and I had a 96 inch with fish tail exhaust . I got damn tired of that lol . I was ok in spending a couple of dollars to fix that

And there it is. The reason for all engine mods.
I may not be able to beat everyone, but I must be able to beat my friends.
That little phrase has cost me more than a few dollars.

A friend of mine was rebuilding his old bike from the ground up, and asked me how he should do the rear end and taillights. I mentioned a few ways he could go, and he said to pick something I liked, because I would be looking at it all the time. Now, I did start to laugh. But it also cost me a complete big bore kit, including heads and pipes. Worth every penny.
I would have stroked the damn thing if that's what it took.

I say seriously consider the 143.
Happiness does not buy money.

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
they're not cheap, in excess of $1,100 a set

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
The case bore is then about 4.7"
Hate to be a downer but when you go in and try and order all the 143 stuff most of the hard parts, the bigger items are back ordered.

Offline build it

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
The case bore is then about 4.7"
Hate to be a downer but when you go in and try and order all the 143 stuff most of the hard parts, the bigger items are back ordered.

Aren’t you involved with a 131” square engine? How did it turn out?
put down the ducky

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2017, 01:44:50 PM »
I don't think the guy ever installed it.