Author Topic: S&S 143" INSTEAD OF S&S 124'  (Read 3119 times)

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
  • there is no cure for what I got !
Re: S&S 143" INSTEAD OF S&S 124'
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
 wasn't that Andy that you did the 131 for?
Last time he contacted me I think he said he was moving to Europe.
08 FLHX 124", wfolarry 110 heads, CR630i cams, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline K4FXD

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
  My brother use to blow by me on his bike and I had a 96 inch with fish tail exhaust . I got damn tired of that lol . I was ok in spending a couple of dollars to fix that

And there it is. The reason for all engine mods.
I may not be able to beat everyone, but I must be able to beat my friends.
That little phrase has cost me more than a few dollars.

A friend of mine was rebuilding his old bike from the ground up, and asked me how he should do the rear end and taillights. I mentioned a few ways he could go, and he said to pick something I liked, because I would be looking at it all the time. Now, I did start to laugh. But it also cost me a complete big bore kit, including heads and pipes. Worth every penny.
I would have stroked the damn thing if that's what it took.

I say seriously consider the 143.
  Yea Hoss I thought you would understand lol . My late brother Roy once told me that a divorce was expensive and worth every penny on it to get rid of the bi... loll

Offline pwmorris

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
they're not cheap, in excess of $1,100 a set

Not cheap? Like a set of 100 clam take off cylinders from eBay? A pinto vs a Corvette?
Like 95% of the posters here, you aren't playing with 160 plus, so not sure if you understand what is expensive or isn't. To a guy working at Micky D's and wants to propose to his girlfriend, a 2,000 engagement ring is a fortune-to someone else, 2 grand is what he plays with over the weekend....
If you are playing in the big boy HP sandbox, they are worth every penny, and then some-
Try pricing out a 13 grand R&R billet motor that puts out 130 HP? Is it worth it?
Depends who you ask....

The case bore is then about 4.7"
Hate to be a downer but when you go in and try and order all the 143 stuff most of the hard parts, the bigger items are back ordered.
Wrong-
Not if you know who to ask....and how to get what you want. Sure it isn't Amazon with overnight shipping, but smart builders order what they need, ahead of time, and work on other parts of the motors so everything comes together at the same time. Think S&S is difficult? Try dealing with Jesel-
Besides, didn't you just post that S&S bottom ends go out of round and oblong? Why even use such a product as S&S filled with such failure (you never answered if it is foundry/cast issue, or an engineering/design issue), and build for your customers?

"HD PERFORMANCE-
Their rods do not break they pinch, become oval, and the rod bearings fail then especially front. They used to have the race shop, that is now gone. They would put Carrillo rods in for a price."

Look,
Special order applications are your friend....

https://www.sscycle.com/docs/default-source/special-order-forms/31-1010-crankcase-ps.pdf?sfvrsn=2

This goes for heads, cams, and every other part you need. Of course, like in life, the top builders, and who you know, get to the front of the line. S&S will help you build whatever you need, as long as they can manufacturer it. Joe Blow or Billy's Build shop from Nowhere ain't getting to the front of the line as top builders and race teams.

I learned this the hard way and I get it. When starting out, my first order with Baisley as an unknown rook, took over six months.....
Future orders much, much quicker as things changed over time-

EX:
Was at Galipn Ford today for one of my vehicles being serviced. Was talking to one of the service advisors and noticed a 2007 GT40 parked next to the entrance by the service exit. I said " damn, nice car....have you seen any of the new 2017/18 GT40's?"
He said "yeah, Tim Allen was in this week for an oil change with his new one-thousand bucks for the oil change."
I said, "I thought they weren't for sale?"
Service guys smiles and said, "sure they are, for the right people."
Top builders can still put together a bad ass build, they just need to know how to do it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:01:06 PM by pwmorris »
8 X HP SHOOTOUT WINNER-3 X BEST OF SHOW
S&S 9 SECOND CLUB MEMBER-NHRA# SP781

Offline Nastytls

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »
They were for sale and promptly sold out. However, you couldn't just go out and buy one, you had to "apply" to buy one and Ford had to approve your purchase. You also had to sign a contract stating that you won't sell it for two years, to prevent the typical a**holes that just buy them to flip and make money. Some WWF wrestler is being sued by Ford now for selling his before the two year window.

On a side note, maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you saying that S&S only sells certain parts to certain builders?

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »
On a side note, maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you saying that S&S only sells certain parts to certain builders?

I take it has he is saying some builders get front of the line service with S&S. They have spent the time and money to build a relationship over the years with S&S and get front of the line service. No different than any high end car dealership they cater to those they know spend the cash. They don't chase tire kickers.    Bob

Offline Nastytls

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »

I take it has he is saying some builders get front of the line service with S&S. They have spent the time and money to build a relationship over the years with S&S and get front of the line service. No different than any high end car dealership they cater to those they know spend the cash. They don't chase tire kickers.    Bob

Makes sense.

Wonder why they wouldn't respond to Ray with the build he was talking about, clearly he's the type of guy willing to pay for what he wants. Wonder if they would have helped him if he were asking via a high volume S&S dealer. If so, they lost a sale for no other reason than hubris.

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2017, 01:43:19 PM »
This tiered service spoken about has never been my experience with S&S.

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
  • there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
  I think me wanting to build a 4 3/8" square motor was just bad timing on my part.
The 143 had just been released, and of course I'm no shop owner with a large volume of parts being purchased from S&S, nor do I have a famous name. I was just a guy wanting to buy the a set of cases, flywheels, and cylinders from S&S so I could begin piecing my project together. I kind of understood why they didn't have time to mess with me. It was probably all hands on deck building the new addition of the 143's to their line up.
  I might try again someday to see if I can get what I need to build my dream square motor.
08 FLHX 124", wfolarry 110 heads, CR630i cams, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline Nastytls

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
This tiered service spoken about has never been my experience with S&S.

Glad to hear it. Kind of a lousy way to do business IME.

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »
  I think me wanting to build a 4 3/8" square motor was just bad timing on my part.
The 143 had just been released, and of course I'm no shop owner with a large volume of parts being purchased from S&S, nor do I have a famous name. I was just a guy wanting to buy the a set of cases, flywheels, and cylinders from S&S so I could begin piecing my project together. I kind of understood why they didn't have time to mess with me. It was probably all hands on deck building the new addition of the 143's to their line up.
  I might try again someday to see if I can get what I need to build my dream square motor.
  Well if you do I was thinking a set of heads that had bigger titanium intake valves , proper springs ,port work ect might be the ticket lol . Just an idea I have

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
Was in bookstore yesterday and a Trask build FXR with 143 and their assault turbo kit was on the cover,  claimed 300hp. 

But then it was on the ground with a lowered Ohlins inverted fork (marginal travel) and custom JRI shocks and they were bragging about handling, lean angle and cornering prowess.   :doh:

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »
Was in bookstore yesterday and a Trask build FXR with 143 and their assault turbo kit was on the cover,  claimed 300hp. 

But then it was on the ground with a lowered Ohlins inverted fork (marginal travel) and custom JRI shocks and they were bragging about handling, lean angle and cornering prowess.   :doh:

A dyno bike Rick.     :SM:

For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline biggzed

• Site Supporter
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
Looks pretty rideable to me.  :nix:

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
that has trouble written all over it, just like a few girls I knew when I was younger   :scoot:

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
that has trouble written all over it, just like a few girls I knew when I was younger   :scoot:
Yea that the damn truth .

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »

And mom was not happy that you were riding either one of them.
Happiness does not buy money.

Offline Fisherking

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 04:30:09 AM »

And mom was not happy that you were riding either one of them.
:up: :up: :up:
That almost made me loose my coffie through my nose.

Lmfao.

F.K.

F.K.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2017, 07:51:28 AM »

I love the comments on the coatings .. That EX pipe right under your right leg is raw SS . That mother would be hot as hell.. and the tiny little heat shield is for looks nothing more.. Not bashing it just pointing out what it really is . not taking away from it i like the looks but would I want to ride it in city traffic  or even a hot climate .. Not really.   If they put a EGT on them it would be oil temp debate all over again . I have seen 1100-1200 EGT on a long pull . but not like your leg would know what 900 is compare to 1000 . its ALL very hot . That heat is being pumped out that EX pipe under your leg..  No way can that be relaxing .. Unless maybe you are riding in 0 degree temps
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:57:16 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline K4FXD

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
I was thinking the same thing about the exhaust pipe.

I bet its LOUD too!

Offline pwmorris

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2017, 06:13:44 PM »

Bullshit-
Not a Dyno bike.....owner rides it regularly. Geez, love guys who bag on stuff they don't know anything about, or since they can never own it....they bag on it for whatever reason.
Look carefully at the bike-carefully....
Slightly longer wheelbase, but not too long. Low, but not too low, and guess what? It's NOT a bagger!!! It's NOT build to go cross country, but it does run ON PUMP GAS, and as far as the pipe, sure it's loud...who the hell doesn't think 300 HP is loud, and as far as the heat shields, I'm sure the shop can/has modified the pipe as the owner has put some miles on it. Many of these photo shoots are done as soon as it rolls off the lift. No big deal.
Bike is stock EZ start compression that starts all day in the AZ heat, it's got a top of the line Ohlins front end (owner could easily raise it an inch or two and make it a canyon carver), BST's, top of the line brakes, and the best of everything. Read the article....he wanted an all around bike he could grudge race with his buddies-he wasn't looking for a Ducati or Gixer to rip the canyons all day on a daily basis...WTF.
 Looks to me like it's got a better lean angle than my street bike, and has better everything, everywhere,  than I've got, for sure. I think Trask nailed it-period.
Some people simply don't understand a bike should be built to the owners GOALS, not the critics, for what the OWNER wants, what they are looking for, how they ride, and their expectations. This bike, for this owner, nailed it.

As far as a Dyno bike, it's not a "claimed" 300, but IMO is no doubt a "real" 300.
I saw a Trask turbo 113" (or less) more than a decade ago, pull over 270-I have also been on that shops Dyno, and both the Dyno and shop are top of the line IMO....no games there-just huge, huge HP, and quality builds coming out of there.

I guess if you aren't a site sponsor here, your stuff must be bogus, substandard,
Un-rideable, and a Dyno queen.
Haters gonna hate....
8 X HP SHOOTOUT WINNER-3 X BEST OF SHOW
S&S 9 SECOND CLUB MEMBER-NHRA# SP781

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2017, 03:17:10 AM »

Bullshit-
Not a Dyno bike.....owner rides it regularly. Geez, love guys who bag on stuff they don't know anything about, or since they can never own it....they bag on it for whatever reason.
Slightly longer wheelbase, but not too long. Low, but not too low, and guess what? It's NOT a bagger!!! It's NOT build to go cross country, but it does run ON PUMP GAS, and as far as the pipe, sure it's loud...who the hell doesn't think 300 HP is loud, and as far as the heat shields, I'm sure the shop can/has modified the pipe as the owner has put some miles on it. Many of these photo shoots are done as soon as it rolls off the lift. No big deal.
Bike is stock EZ start compression that starts all day in the AZ heat, it's got a top of the line Ohlins front end (owner could easily raise it an inch or two and make it a canyon carver), BST's, top of the line brakes, and the best of everything. Read the article....he wanted an all around bike he could grudge race with his buddies-he wasn't looking for a Ducati or Gixer to rip the canyons all day on a daily basis...WTF.
 Looks to me like it's got a better lean angle than my street bike, and has better everything, everywhere,  than I've got, for sure. I think Trask nailed it-period.
Some people simply don't understand a bike should be built to the owners GOALS, not the critics, for what the OWNER wants, what they are looking for, how they ride, and their expectations. This bike, for this owner, nailed it.

As far as a Dyno bike, it's not a "claimed" 300, but IMO is no doubt a "real" 300.
I saw a Trask turbo 113" (or less) more than a decade ago, pull over 270-I have also been on that shops Dyno, and both the Dyno and shop are top of the line IMO....no games there-just huge, huge HP, and quality builds coming out of there.

I guess if you aren't a site sponsor here, your stuff must be bogus, substandard,
Haters gonna hate....

:up: :up: :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "steer clear of chameleons."

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »

Bullshit-

Haters gonna hate....

Paul yo and I know each other . I like the bike I used to live in AZ I live in TX now so heat is a factor . I tune for Confederate , as so I get to throw my leg over some really over the top built bikes and take it for a  ride,   Some are a 175 MPH Harley that any one with the cash can own . Its very cool . Other than where the EX is located I have burned myself a few times now on these bikes.. As I said I like it

Its built with top notch parts .  Speedsters, Combat bombers, Salt flats edition with twin T/B s  Yea that was fun to tune .. HA HA   My point it that I know that many of these are slotted for Photo shoots . I deal with it on a pretty regular basis really .. 

I like it all other than where the EX is at . But having not built it I have zero say it .. Not much room there but having seen how some of the others do it .. I think it could have been done differently . It would have been much harder but a tail exit on that would have been super cool in my head. And the theme of it would have worked .. again I think so .

The big wheel baggers I deal with .. well I can say they are not my thing really but I have to ride and build ( engines)  and tune a bunch of them  every year..  Long tail draggers that you have to air up to get out of places . Some so larger that you need boards to get them on off trailers and into the booth..  These guys do ride them and I am stoked when that bike makes the cover ..

But every one gets an opinion on this..  had a guy bagging on me over the cost of a bike .. I was only showing what the new CVO made for power in a step by step process..   What does cost have to do with power levels .. Well we all know the answer to that ..  :wink:

building for what the owner wants yes done that several times and we landed a few in magazines as well .. I get it I really do some times it not what we want but what we are paid to do ..  In this case he got just under a 50% increase in power over stock  :up: :up: 

having ridden some 400 HP imports mid 200 HD bikes I would love the chance to take that bike for a spin and feel the raw power..  The last one with the aerocharger making   and 223 at 3600  . Not many will ever understand that .. Just the way it is .   
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2017, 12:05:13 PM »
Yes Steve I appreciate the tuning and building for the Texas heat although I don't like to ride about mid 90s .  I think the meth injection will help a lot especially when it really hot . If I just had one bike i have to say that aero bike might be it lol , maybe limit the boost to 8 or 9 lb or at least the rate of rise lol if possible .  I like the charger back behind and it seems look pretty clean look

Offline K4FXD

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »
My only issue with that bike is the pipe. I'd move it to where it wouldn't burn my leg and pound my ear drums.