Author Topic: S&S 100"/110" AVAILABILITY  (Read 2119 times)

Offline VALLEY

S&S 100"/110" AVAILABILITY
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
Has anyone heard way the kits are not available ????  pulled from drag, T/R and S&S .

Offline rhuff

Re: S&S 100"/110" AVAILABILITY
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »

Offline VALLEY

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »
You use to be able to buy just cylinder kits. I bought several.

Offline rhuff

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »
Gotcha.  Interesting.....I was just contemplating a 110" cylinder kit finally in the new year....  Don't want stock piston/cams from S&S though. 

Offline martinj

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:15:06 AM by martinj »

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
I just found the same thing last week when I checked price and availability with my local indy.
He said drag pulled them from the shelf and they would have new 100" cylinder/piston kits with new part numbers by mid February. They gave no reason why.

Offline martinj

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »
Gotcha.  Interesting.....I was just contemplating a 110" cylinder kit finally in the new year....  Don't want stock piston/cams from S&S though.

Not sure what you mean by "stock" pistons. The pistons S&S supplies are CP/Carillo. Very nice pistons. At least, the ones that came in my kit are. Hight quality machining and finish.

Offline rhuff

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
I should have clarified.  I really just want the cylinders.  I do have CP/Car in my 107 build. 

Offline 92flhtcu

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
I was told last week that new 4" cylinder kits will be available soon. I could not get an answer as to why or what was changed
Need a bigger garage

Offline VALLEY

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »
" I could not get an answer as to why or what was changed"
Thats what I really want to know......

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
any word of a recall of the 100 or 110 cylinders/piston kits that have already been sold?

Added
The Drag warehouse said they actually removed three 100" Black cylinder/piston kits from the self  and when the new kits are available (probably in Feb) they will have new part numbers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:59:46 AM by 1FSTRK »

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »
I was told the cylinders are not available separately alone.

Offline joelp34252

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
As my plans are to go 4" bore this winter, am curious about this also. Not an S&S fanboi but would consider their cylinders, along with SE,FM, and who ever else makes them. May also call Axtell. Would think if there was an issue it would become public. Anyone have S&S on speed dial?

Joel 2001 FLHT

Offline m1marty

• Site Supporter
  • The Outsider
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 12:02:14 AM »
My 110 kit has been backordered a while now....no reason why.
OFFO

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »
The reason for this is that Harley has a patent on the material being used in the liner. And as such S&S got the letter to cease production of the cylinder . The new cylinders are being made and will be ready Feb 1st .

That is all that I can post at this time. 

The new material for the liner after durability  testing has shown better heat transfer and improved leak down rates of the previous cylinders.. Which was already outstanding.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:17:53 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
It is interesting that they used the same liner material. When these steel lined cylinders were first released from HD I questioned the fact HD used the same piston rings and end gaps as their other 110's in cast lined cylinders. When S&S released their kits they stated they used rings designed for these cylinders and recommended much larger ring gaps.

I do not doubt for a minute that HD had a hand in stopping production, it will be interesting to see the S&S work around and how well the new rushed to production parts will be.

Online kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »
 :wtf: How in the H  E  double hockey stick can you patent using a specific (obviously available) type of steel?   They surely didnít invent it.  :scratch:
KD

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »
:wtf: How in the H  E  double hockey stick can you patent using a specific (obviously available) type of steel?   They surely didnít invent it.  :scratch:

It may be a use patent or process. They stopped S&S from drilling three hole in the Twin cam cases, but we can drill our own.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
It is interesting that they used the same liner material. When these steel lined cylinders were first released from HD I questioned the fact HD used the same piston rings and end gaps as their other 110's in cast lined cylinders. When S&S released their kits they stated they used rings designed for these cylinders and recommended much larger ring gaps.

I do not doubt for a minute that HD had a hand in stopping production, it will be interesting to see the S&S work around and how well the new rushed to production parts will be.

Your post sounds " like" you are questioning  the new cylinder to it being rushed into production .????   If I am wrong i apologize , after all its text with no emotion  :up:

That is not the case in any way .  The testing needed has been done and it passed with flying colors as i said its better than the previous liner material .   I used the older version and boost it to 14 PSI and it had great leak down once done after testing there as well.. I feel very confident in S&S ability to produce an even better cylinder

as for the material yes in fact its a certain item that is made for them  ( HD)  and it was being used in the S&S cylinder as well .. SO they took issue with it .. Now customers not in the US can still buy that older version currently

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »

Well two different materials 2618 CP vs 4034 Mahle  for the pistons as well different ring locations.   Yes larger gaps never had an issue with the vast amount of kits I have built though ..

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »

Well two different materials 2618 CP vs 4034 Mahle  for the pistons as well different ring locations.   Yes larger gaps never had an issue with the vast amount of kits I have built though ..

Are you saying the piston material determines the ring material and end gap but the liner material makes no difference to the rings?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:28:49 PM by 1FSTRK »

Online kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
as for the material yes in fact its a certain item that is made for them  ( HD)  and it was being used in the S&S cylinder as well .. SO they took issue with it .. Now customers not in the US can still buy that older version currently

Why wouldn't we wait for the better product?  :scratch:  I can see in my crystal ball that this will likely bite the MOCO in the butt when they loose even more sales to the after market (S&S) because the barrels are superior to theirs. I know where I would / will do my shopping.  :wink:
KD

Offline m1marty

• Site Supporter
  • The Outsider
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
Great info Steve, thank you.
OFFO

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:07 PM »
I'd like to buy a set of 4" cylinders myself...  :pop:

S&S any less expensive than Harley?
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »

Are you saying the piston material determines the ring material and end gap but the liner material makes no difference to the rings?

now you know I did not say that. :up:. Was pointing out the differences in the kits .. I did in fact ask as to why the ring gap was so large . Answer I was given due to location of ring pack. It is higher than the STD CP

It is higher than the SE kit as I checked . then you have the two different piston materials when dealing with piston to wall .

Offline martinj

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 01:21:30 PM »

I think I paid $929 for the S&S "Sidewinder" 110" kit online. You could probably look around and find the H-D kit for the same or a little less, but IIRC the H-D kit comes with flat top cast pistons that have pretty small valve reliefs in them. The "current" S&S kits come with forged CP/Carillo pistons with big valve reliefs and a net .75cc dome, which makes the S&S kit the better deal for me.

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »

I think I paid $929 for the S&S "Sidewinder" 110" kit online. You could probably look around and find the H-D kit for the same or a little less, but IIRC the H-D kit comes with flat top cast pistons that have pretty small valve reliefs in them. The "current" S&S kits come with forged CP/Carillo pistons with big valve reliefs and a net .75cc dome, which makes the S&S kit the better deal for me.

HD kit comes with forged Mahale 10.25/1 pistons that are coated and have Teflon on the skirts and reliefs for the 110 head valves. Also has all the gaskets to do a in frame install. Bob

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
  • there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
 the official release of stopping production...with part #'s

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
08 FLHX 124", wfolarry 110 heads, CR630i cams, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline martinj

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »

HD kit comes with forged Mahale 10.25/1 pistons that are coated and have Teflon on the skirts and reliefs for the 110 head valves. Also has all the gaskets to do a in frame install. Bob
You may indeed be right about the Mahle pistons. Don't know where I got the idea they were cast. With that said, the S&S kits also have everything needed to install.

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »

You may indeed be right about the Mahle pistons. Don't know where I got the idea they were cast. With that said, the S&S kits also have everything needed to install.

Well unless the kit I have sitting here is the only one they made with Mahale pistons that's what comes in them.  Bob

Offline martinj

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »

Well unless the kit I have sitting here is the only one they made with Mahale pistons that's what comes in them.  Bob

Whoa there, no need to be defensive. I'm agreeing with you. I did some research, and the H-D kits I found reference to all come with forged pistons. None of the sources I
found specified the piston manufacturer, but it's safe to assume Mahle since that's what came with your kit. I was mistaken.

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »

[/quote]

Whoa there, no need to be defensive. I'm agreeing with you. I did some research, and the H-D kits I found reference to all come with forged pistons. None of the sources I
found specified the piston manufacturer, but it's safe to assume Mahle since that's what came with your kit. I was mistaken.
[/quote]

Wasn't ment to be defensive was confiriming what they were. I also counldnt find any info before I purchased the kit. In fact the dealer here didn't even know there was a drop on 110 kit that was pistons and jugs only. They only knew about the 110 shredder kit. Hopefully soon I will get the old engine out and get after it.  Bob

Offline Durwood

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »

Exactly my thoughts. They pull the parts in December and have a "new and improved" cylinder already in production for February release?

Things that make you go Hmmm.

S&S is a great company and I for one hope that they have it figured out.

Offline wfolarry

• Premium Vendor
  • BREATHE DEEP
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »
They figured out a way around the 3 stage oil pump didn't they?
This isn't the first time the MOCO put the squeeze on them & I'm sure it won't be the last.

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »

Exactly my thoughts. They pull the parts in December and have a "new and improved" cylinder already in production for February release?

This isn't the first time the MOCO put the squeeze on them & I'm sure it won't be the last.

I agree the work around will come. I only hope that in an effort to compete with a MoCo that rushes unverified products to market they do not fall into the very same pitfall.

Added
I had been working on a bolt on 100" plan for my 05 and was attempting to order these cylinders last week when I ran into this all. Now I will have to re think but the new heads are already in the works at Vic's

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
Who does Fuel Moto get their drop in cylinders from?

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23897232-fuel-moto-110-outlaw-big-bore-kit.html
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline martinj

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »

I have heard they were S&S, but I haven't confirmed.

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2017, 05:59:39 PM »

I suspected they probably were. I was just curious if there was maybe a third OEM of drop in cylinders.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »

It is a S&S kit not anything I was told I had a customer but one I did the install. Heck itís in the SS box.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:07:37 PM by FSG »

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »
as for being rushed to production and pitfalls and some of the others items posted.. Lets just stop and think about this for a second.

S&S did the same testing on the new kit as the old kit. It passed that and in fact did better than the previous kit . SO the sky is not falling testing was done,

As for rushing that would assume that the this just happened ??  Maybe the letter was sent some time ago and it gave them much more time to get a new liner made .. Or maybe the company that makes the HD liner and the S&S is a  MONSTER company that makes more liners for OEM and after market than all others put together ??

Just pointing out that I feel the post is taking on a negative "light"  by some with comments that have zero  merit .

Offline Durwood

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 08:14:23 AM »
as for being rushed to production and pitfalls and some of the others items posted.. Lets just stop and think about this for a second.

S&S did the same testing on the new kit as the old kit. It passed that and in fact did better than the previous kit . SO the sky is not falling testing was done,

As for rushing that would assume that the this just happened ??  Maybe the letter was sent some time ago and it gave them much more time to get a new liner made .. Or maybe the company that makes the HD liner and the S&S is a  MONSTER company that makes more liners for OEM and after market than all others put together ??

Just pointing out that I feel the post is taking on a negative "light" by some with comments that have zero  merit .
I wouldn't say that the comments have zero merit, the time element is what I was questioning..You or anyone else doesn't know for sure when this alleged cease production letter was sent, we also don't know for sure how much testing was done on the replacement cylinders that are coming down the pike.

As I said, I hope they have it figured out, which they probably do, I was only pointing out the obvious and stating my opinion.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »

I agree the work around will come. I only hope that in an effort to compete with a MoCo that rushes unverified products to market they do not fall into the very same pitfall.

If the same testing was done on this new item as the old one would that be enough ??  As I know that the same testing was in fact done.. 

it was not pointed at anyone directly.

Its my opinion as a shop that has built 39 of these kit this year alone. Not one failure , with one being heavily boosted as well .

So If S&S tells me that the testing is good then I am good with that.  i am not going to post about " what ifs" when in fact who cares when the letter was sent .  Bottom line S&S has a testing procedure  that they follow . They have done the testing.  :up:

Added to this as well I have used the SE kits and tuned over a few dozen of the same kits and they have run very well and I have seen no failure there either .   Hence the zero merit .. at least that is how I read it ..   I see it as this product ( the bolt on kit )  as that is what we are talking about right ??

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »
Steve my comment was not an accusation but rather a legitimate concern. We see this in many companies today, not always because of time constraints but sometimes just testing on the customers and no company is totally exempt.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »
Ok I get that no issues on my end , just wanting to state about the testing

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »

Added
I had been working on a bolt on 100" plan for my 05 and was attempting to order these cylinders last week when I ran into this all. Now I will have to re think but the new heads are already in the works at Vic's

why not just use SE cylinders? they seem to be working very well
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »
100 kit is only SS  :emsad:

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
100 kit is only SS  :emsad:

Couldn't he use 110 drop in cylinders?

He'll only get 100" because of his shorter 4" stroke but I would think it should work?

:pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
No the 110 Drop on cylinders are slightly longer and the early case is not machined down far enough .. I have done several 88 inch engines to 110 and just did a 2004 103 SE bike to 110 also. The case needs to be opened up a bit.. If you look at the S&S instructions to states this and shows a picture I do believe of the difference

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
on another note I would add the 4 3/8 crank and the 110 kit  :up:  on the 88 incher HA HA simple enough  and its a great increase in CI .. set of 06+ style heads and you have 110 Hp and 120 tq with stock heads ACR if you wanted . 620 lift springs etc  .

but then its a good chunk of change also

I have done 4 of the 100 inch SS kits one with the 570 cam the others the 585 cam all ran very well made very nice numbers also

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
No the 110 Drop on cylinders are slightly longer and the early case is not machined down far enough .. I have done several 88 inch engines to 110 and just did a 2004 103 SE bike to 110 also. The case needs to be opened up a bit.. If you look at the S&S instructions to states this and shows a picture I do believe of the difference

cool, thanks for the info  :up: :up:

could the 110 spigots be cut shorter?  :pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
I think its .250 shorter than the 110 cylinder kit here is a link to that info

https://www.sscycle.com/docs/default-source/instruction-sheets/510-0414-100_110-kits-20161114.pdf

Online kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »
Aha, the oil ring expander ends make a W not and M and they state it clearly. There was a thread about this a while back and no one could produce an instruction sheet that committed to one way or the other.
KD

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
Aha, the oil ring expander ends make a W not and M and they state it clearly. There was a thread about this a while back and no one could produce an instruction sheet that committed to one way or the other.

well back in the Wiseco 107 / 98 ring issues.. Thread Feb 2016 I posted the below

I did a SS 106 build a few years back

Do you happen to still have any of the documentation?

I ask because some of the S&S 106 info I have say the oil ring expander ends must face up. 

That said my Yamaha 2 Stroke Information says the ends should face down, so it obviously depends on the manufacturer.

I've taken a look at the HD Instructions for various pistons an rings and they don't mention the ends.

Offline yobtaf103

• Site Supporter
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
Just had an e-mail ad, Easternperformance.com got a 48hr close out sale on S&S bolt -on kits

additional $500 off, use code POWER17 at checkout
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:27:15 PM by yobtaf103 »

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
Just had an e-mail ad, Easternperformance.com got a 48hr close out sale on S&S bolt -on kits

additional $500 off, use code POWER17 at checkout

That code comes back as not valid
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:05:52 PM by 1FSTRK »

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2017, 09:12:02 PM »
looks like that discount only applies to the big $$ kits

I didn't see just the piston & cylinder kit in there
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »
looks like that discount only applies to the big $$ kits

I didn't see just the piston & cylinder kit in there

I found the piston cylinder kits in black and silver but the code comes back not valid for them.

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »

Added
I had been working on a bolt on 100" plan for my 05 and was attempting to order these cylinders last week
when I ran into this all. Now I will have to re think but the new heads are already in the works at Vic's

http://www.easternperformance.com/ss-cycle-4-sidewinder-100-big-bore-kit-99-06-hd-big-twin-cam-wrinkle-black.html
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2017, 08:55:50 AM »
BUT do they really have them in stock .. I know many customers that use them as a dealer I do not but common comment has been..  I ordered the parts but out of stock waiting for them to ship .. Not uncommon in the industry really ..

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2018, 11:21:02 PM »
BUT do they really have them in stock .. I know many customers that use them as a dealer I do not but common comment has been..  I ordered the parts but out of stock waiting for them to ship .. Not uncommon in the industry really ..

good point - I didn't check  :up:

Colorado Springs, CO.