Author Topic: Road King Handlebars  (Read 788 times)

Offline fleetmechanic

• Site Supporter
Road King Handlebars
« on: December 20, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
The HD part # for 2014-later Road King handlebars is one of the new long numbers.  Does anyone know if the height of the bars is any different than on older models?  We have a couple of 2014 FLHPs and the handle position seems to be a little higher than on our '12 and earlier models.

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
Re: Road King Handlebars
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
the rise increases by almost 6 inches

Offline fleetmechanic

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »

the rise increases by almost 6 inches

[/quote}  That's about what it feels like.  Thanks.

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 07:24:50 AM »
I gave my '01 take offs to the kid down the street, I think he was going to try to put them on his bicycle.
Happiness does not buy money.

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 04:58:27 AM »
The Rushmore RK bars are taller than the earlier bars, I`m not an ape hanger guy, and I hated them.

Installed some `13 RK bars, they were much better, but still too high for my liking.

Still searching for something a little wider and lower, but the beach bar stuff is too radical, I don`t like the grips facing forward like a wheelbarrow.

Offline FLHRI_2004

• Site Supporter
  • Joined HTT 1/16/2004, Easton/Bethlehem, PA
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 06:20:35 AM »
The Rushmore RK bars are taller than the earlier bars, I`m not an ape hanger guy, and I hated them. . .

I didn't like the '14 RK bars at first either thinking they were too tall, but after I got used to them, I like them a lot.  They straighten the wrists a bit more than the '04 RK bars making long distance rides more comfortable (for me).
My Ride: Road King

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »
I replaced mine with Heritage bars. They're much more comfortable for me.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Offline motorhogman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
The Rushmore RK bars are taller than the earlier bars, I`m not an ape hanger guy, and I hated them.

Installed some `13 RK bars, they were much better, but still too high for my liking.

Still searching for something a little wider and lower, but the beach bar stuff is too radical, I don`t like the grips facing forward like a wheelbarrow.

You ain't kidding about the beach bars. Rode a friends 2007 RK with them around the block and that was all I needed to know they were Not for me..Bad wrist position for my likes.
where's the points and condenser ?
Tom / aka motor

Offline Maddo Snr

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »

You ain't kidding about the beach bars. Rode a friends 2007 RK with them around the block and that was all I needed to know they were Not for me..Bad wrist position for my likes.
I run Klockwerks Road King Mentele's. they're wide and low and as stiff a board. The steering lightness and precision is unreal. I hate ape-hangers but I'm built like a chimp with short legs and Inspector Gadget arms...go figure.  :hyst:

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
I replaced mine with Heritage bars. They're much more comfortable for me.

Me too! The 2009 Heritage version that is. My 2004 RK Custom came stock with those beach bars, which didn't last longer than the ride home from the showroom floor. What a joke. Useless. If I wanted to steer with a tiller, I'd get a boat!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
I run Klockwerks Road King Mentele's. they're wide and low and as stiff a board. The steering lightness and precision is unreal. I hate ape-hangers but I'm built like a chimp with short legs and Inspector Gadget arms...go figure. 

I currently have the King Mentele bars on my Road King, but to keep the control switches from contacting the fuel tank, they must be tilted up so far it puts the wrists at an uncomfortable position, I even tried some spacers under the risers, as thick as I could use without the bars contacting the riser cover.

Still searching.

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 05:00:26 PM »
Handlebars drive me crazy, They are such a personal thing and very subtle adjustments mean a lot.  I wish there were a simpler way of testing h-bars than buying/installing/changing/repeat.  Unless you are lucky enough to have a buddy with the same bike and different h-bars.    I must have gone thru 100 on my Shovel.
On my 14 Fatboy I just installed Wild Ones FLH type.  Nice but for posture reasons, for the first time in my riding life (40+ years) I'm thinking of apes.  Always avoided them but I'm slouching in my old age.  Apes properly situated might force me to ride more upright.  Then there is the height...who knows.. :scratch:
John

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 05:11:16 PM »
I wish there were a simpler way of testing h-bars than buying/installing/changing/repeat.

I had a collection of bars as a result of looking for what I wanted.

Ended up cutting a set of stock 07 fatty bars and inserting some 2" pieces which provided the rise, width and pullback increases I was looking for, so good they are still on the Fatty.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
Then you get us riders that are perfectly happy with what ever the MoCo put on the motorcycle. I have never swapped out handle bars, always run the stockers. I don't thin I have ever adjusted a set of bars either.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline Maddo Snr

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 01:23:50 AM »
I run Klockwerks Road King Mentele's. they're wide and low and as stiff a board. The steering lightness and precision is unreal. I hate ape-hangers but I'm built like a chimp with short legs and Inspector Gadget arms...go figure. 

I currently have the King Mentele bars on my Road King, but to keep the control switches from contacting the fuel tank, they must be tilted up so far it puts the wrists at an uncomfortable position, I even tried some spacers under the risers, as thick as I could use without the bars contacting the riser cover.

Still searching.

Dunno what's doing there Dan. My King Mentele's have no switchblock detents and both the bar and switchblocks can be rotated wherever I like. I run the bar pretty low and the switchblocks clear the tank by 1/4".

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 05:33:02 AM »
FSG, I'v done that only adding a couple of inches on the pullback. Being an awful welder (but awesome grinder) I can only weld where I can hide it.

PoorUB: you are a lucky sob. 

A mandrel in the shop would be cool to have as I could bent bars all day long until I found that perfect combo then off to the chrome guy.
John

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
Help out an ignorant one here, what did you do about the chrome on the bars? Grind it back, weld, then re-chrome or paint or powder?

-JW

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »
I painted mine, there is a 2" insert at the arrow, I also fitted a one piece riser setup for a Road King.

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
Nice!

One piece riser for RK? Which one?

thanks,
JW

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 07:41:20 PM »
I shortened up a set of these for use on my Fatty.

J05026   ONE-PIECE FAT HANDLEBAR RISER KITS  , 56929-10, 56931-10

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/217462

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fat-riser-kit-pa-09-5693110--1

pardon the dirt and dust, here's a couple pix of them on my fatty.

Offline PC_Hater

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 11:41:45 PM »
For those of us that can't weld and don't want to keep trying different handlebars there is of course a very nice and expensive solution.
www.helibars.com sell handlebars that are fully adjustable. $750 or so.

You could buy a set between friends, adjust for one bike, find which off-the-shelf handlebars match your settings, and then pass the adjustables on to the next person.

I tried the Heritage bars on my Road-Glide for awhile, comfy but I found the riding position made the front end feel imprecise. We have bends and hills over here, I like precision so the originals went back on.

I did have clip-ons on the Sportster but I'm getting old and my wrists couldn't stand it anymore. I ended up with Biltwell Frisco bars, nice looking, comfy, narrow, OK at high speed. A very bad idea when fitted on the Road-Glide! The narrowness meant you _really_ felt the weight of the bike, I didn't even try to ride it.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 04:38:18 AM »
Dunno what's doing there Dan. My King Mentele's have no switchblock detents and both the bar and switchblocks can be rotated wherever I like. I run the bar pretty low and the switchblocks clear the tank by 1/4".

What year Road King?
Mine is a `16, the left hand switch block is what will contact the tank (the cruise control makes this switch pretty big).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:06:45 PM by FSG »

Offline Maddo Snr

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »

What year Road King?

Mine is a `16, the left hand switch block is what will contact the tank (the cruise control makes this switch pretty big).

Bang. Mine's an '11. The cruise buttons are much smaller than on the '16.

My RHS switchblock is the bulkier of the two.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:09:05 PM by FSG »

Offline fleetmechanic

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
The switch housings from '14 up are thicker and extend down farther than the '13 and down models.

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »
I painted mine, there is a 2" insert at the arrow, I also fitted a one piece riser setup for a Road King.

I like the Panhead tank emblem, very cool. Is that weld on?
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
I like the Panhead tank emblem, very cool. Is that weld on?

Stick On   :SM:

Online 98roadking

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 06:36:00 AM »
I have a set of 98 Road King Police bars that are in my garage from my bike. They are suppose to be what the heritage bars were patterned after. PM if you are interested.
I know Arlen Ness isn't very popular on here, but he also has some adjustable bars in different height in the $450 range you might want to look into

Offline Bagger

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 07:21:00 AM »
 Not for everyone, I run Wild 1 drag bars

http://shop.wild1inc.com/CHUBBY-1-1-4-T-BARS_c74.htm

Offline cbumdumb

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 07:36:57 AM »
I run helibars on my glide with all my corporal tunnel issues. When my wrist get tired of current setup I change them up .Worth every penny.

Offline starrider

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
When i got the 03RK in 2003...told the dealer to switch the RK bars to Heritage bars... :wink: