Author Topic: Front Brake Rotors  (Read 1092 times)

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
Re: Front Brake Rotors
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
Might call EBC in Vegas to see if they have applications that are not in the catalog.

Is EBC #MD529 correct for your application?  Shows for 2016 Ultra Limited.  $163 on amazon.

Looks like you need rotors to fit Impeller or Enforcer wheels.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:34:43 PM by 04 SE DEUCE »

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »
Might call EBC in Vegas to see if they have applications that are not in the catalog.

Is EBC #MD529 correct for your application?  Shows for 2016 Ultra Limited.  $163 on amazon.

Looks like you need rotors to fit Impeller or Enforcer wheels.

Looks like it, Thanks!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 03:32:15 PM »
EBC/Vegas can let you know availability if your curious about contoured (EBC term) O.D.,   if not looks like MD529.  Normally C is added to part#. 

A friend that use to road race claims the contoured edge is less likely to dish/potato chip.  I think the brake co.'s will say its for a slight friction increase and maybe more edge surface...doubt it matters.

Might see if Calif Phil can get EBC.

Offline 14Frisco

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 06:10:55 PM »
Is EBC #MD529 correct for your application?  Shows for 2016 Ultra Limited.

And also for 2017 models per their 2017 catalog

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 07:19:46 PM »
Assuming "PoorUB" really means "poor"...

$45 seems like a deal compared to $160, for a pulse in the brake lever. Can't even call the guy?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline Geezer_Glider

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 08:04:50 PM »
Just a quick thought. On the 2016 Ultra I had I would have sworn I had the same problem. Light braking OK, but heavy braking really shook the front end. Checked for run-out, OK less than .002", checked for thickness, OK less than .001". Didn't really want to take it to the dealer so lived with it, not really bad. Tire looked OK just eying it. Come time to change the front tire and first ride after that and no problems!!! Yes I checked balance after removing the original wheel tire assembly, it was fine. Looked over old removed tire and you could see a bad spot like ply or belt shift/separation. No pulsing in the brake lever when I had the problem made me think tire but mounted it looked OK.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 08:54:52 PM »
Assuming "PoorUB" really means "poor"...

$45 seems like a deal compared to $160, for a pulse in the brake lever. Can't even call the guy?

-JW

When I picked that name I was not as well off as I am today, I am not poor any longer, but I am a bit on the tight side! I don't have issue with spending a few dollars, but I spend it carefully.

$45, plus freight, probably about half the price of new. Like I said, stock rotors are $110, not sure where the $160 comes from. Also not always is the "best deal" the best deal.

Besides, I have access to a machine shop, I can get  the old ones resurfaced for free, still not interested. The best deal might be a couple of $200 rotors that never need to be replaced.

Thanks, but not interested.

Offline Boe Cole

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
Just a thought....
PoorUB commented that he had checked the specs and found both rotors within HD specs.  Would it make a difference if both rotors were 'out' in the same place which could possibly compound the pulsing in the front brakes?  If one of the rotors were turned a couple holes, would it help???? 

Seems logical to me but I'm not an hd mechanic - more of a shade tree mechanic but with over 50 years of practice fixing mechanical things like cars, boats and motorcycles.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
Not that it matters, but this is my third bagger, and the third one to have pulsating front brakes. I'm going with the odds that it is the rotors because it took care of the issues before.
I'm not convinced the stock rotors are very good. On the other hand I use the front brakes most of the time and tend to abuse them. Many riders would never have problems with them. One reason why I am looking at after market rotors.

Offline Moparnut72

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »
I wouldn't think you can abuse the front brakes, after all they are the main stopping power on a bike. If they can't hold up then they sure need to be upgraded. Shame on the MoCo if they can't cut the mustard.
kk
Mopar or No Car

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »
A good friend had his rotors warp within the first year on this '08 Street Glide. He came off a '95 Fatboy with wooden single piston single caliper brakes, and got carried away with the amazing new power of his four piston dual caliper brakes. Cooked those rotors in no time.
He has yet to replace them. He's actually cheaper than me, but I'm not really sure what he's waiting for. Once the road turns curvy, he cannot keep up, as he has to be gentle with the brakes, and he hates losing.
Happiness does not buy money.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 06:21:47 PM »
I wouldn't think you can abuse the front brakes, after all they are the main stopping power on a bike. If they can't hold up then they sure need to be upgraded. Shame on the MoCo if they can't cut the mustard.
kk

My experience is the stock rotors are not up to the task of spirited riding!

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 06:36:30 PM »
kk

And trying to stop 900 pounds.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 07:40:19 PM »
kk

And trying to stop 900 pounds.

You forgot to add the extra weight of the little woman on back! (Me too, I guess!) Plus I pull a 150 pound trailer from time, but I am sure it is Annie that pushes it over the limit! :hyst:

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 10:49:50 PM »
I have asked here before, but I am looking for better than OEM replacement rotors to fit the stock wheels on my 2016 Limited. I have searched and can not find anything that looks any better than stock with similar or higher price. I have one bad rotor right now, took it to the dealer, of course nothing wrong with it. I guess pulsing under hard braking is normal! :banghead: I plan on replacing both before spring. If I can not find anything else I guess HD will get my money. I think I have some HOG $$ at the local stealer, perhaps I will spend it on rotors.

Any help would be appreciated!!

I took my '15 Limited in to have the rear brake looked at under warranty, told them it shuddered so bad it shook the windshield. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem, and tightened the windshield.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 05:12:01 AM »
I have asked here before, but I am looking for better than OEM replacement rotors to fit the stock wheels on my 2016 Limited. I have searched and can not find anything that looks any better than stock with similar or higher price. I have one bad rotor right now, took it to the dealer, of course nothing wrong with it. I guess pulsing under hard braking is normal! :banghead: I plan on replacing both before spring. If I can not find anything else I guess HD will get my money. I think I have some HOG $$ at the local stealer, perhaps I will spend it on rotors.

Any help would be appreciated!!

I took my '15 Limited in to have the rear brake looked at under warranty, told them it shuddered so bad it shook the windshield. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem, and tightened the windshield.

Seems like the proper fix...

Offline rageglide

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »
I too have had serious rotor issues with both of my baggers.  The '05 RG had really bad warpage in no time flat.  Entire front end would do the "head bob" thing at low speeds and light braking.  Horrible stopping distance at higher speeds, felt like double the distance from brand new.

My '12 also warped the rotors very early on and I decided screw these POS daisy rotors.  I started shopping around for premium floating rotors and about puked at the price of Lyndall and EBC floaters.  Before I replaced the rotors the Rushmore bikes came out with the Enforcer wheel and full floating rotors.  I snagged a new take-off Enforcer front wheel with rotors for next to nothin.   Braking was great and I was very happy with the upgrade!     

Alas, all good things come to an end and the Rushmore rotors started to warp late last year (about 20k miles on them).  While nowhere nearly as bad as the old one piece junk, they are definitely affecting stopping from highway speeds.  I suppose the good news is the replacement Rushmore rotors are pretty inexpensive to replace.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:10:01 PM by rageglide »

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »
One thing I find strange is up to the Rushmore models there are all kinds of rotors to choose from, from Harley and after market. The Rushmore has pretty limited selection and most look like stock.

Offline rageglide

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 04:27:52 PM »
No doubt about that PoorUB.    I guess aftermarket is at a loss for how to doll up a simple piece of SS and justify selling for 2-4x oem price...

Those Lyndall floaters for the older wheels are sure pretty, but 8-900 for a pair of rotors?  That's totally nuts. 

Offline q1svt

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 08:03:11 AM »
https://shop.lyndallbrakes.com/collections/all/Rotors

Thanks, but $400 and zero information as to what they are made of?

lol, it more like $1200.00  baggers need 3 rotors... not advisable to just change front or rear only.

I know you've move on to other OEM like rotors, but you raise an interesting question.

They are made by a USA company with advanced materials and process technologies, that have developed stuff for the space shuttle and advanced armor for the military, to name a couple    ;^)

REL inc  http://www.relinc.net/advanced-materials/

REL owns Matrix Brakes [and least another one that builds ceramic brakes drums for big rigs & rotors for cars] https://www.matrixbrakes.com/Articles.asp?ID=269

And Matrix Brake makes the rotor ring for LB, along with the gold pads

Have run MB rotors for over 5 years zero issues, well dropping about nine pounds of rotating mass drastically changed the handling, braking, etc   :wink:

So, use caution they are greater than OEM... lol     
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »

lol, it more like $1200.00  baggers need 3 rotors... not advisable to just change front or rear only.

You are going to have a tough time explaining why I would need to replace the lightly used rear brakes just because I put some super high tech rotors on the front!

Offline q1svt

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »

You are going to have a tough time explaining why I would need to replace the lightly used rear brakes just because I put some super high tech rotors on the front!

Nope no explaining required... With a bagger* your first ride will tell you how bad of an idea it was... and you will gladly open your wallet or eat the cost of the new front two rotors. [Add two-up &/or a trailer  :down:]  {maybe if you have some of those very heavy bagger wheels HD has made over the years losing 6 pounds of rotating mass on rotors wouldn't be noticed ... but then again why in that case would you spend those kind of dollars when you'll never see the benefits.}

Don't get me wrong, the MMB rotors are outstanding and was [in my option] great money spent, along with going to 18" wheels.   AND yes I understand that it's not for everyones pocket book.

** have no knowledge about other HD frame types

hint: the gyroscopic pitch axis; dropping 6 pounds from the front, and none in the rear... wheels are not going to be (gyroscopically in balance/harmony}.
http://www.cleonis.nl/physics/phys256/gyroscope_physics.php
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
q1svt, Not arguing about replacing the fronts rotors, just arguing the value of replacing the rear rotor, more so while keeping the heavy stock wheels. I can see the value of lighter weight, certainly with aftermarket wheels. I just don't see the value of a $400 rotor on a stock bagger when I don't use the rear brake much.

Also the front wheel does not weigh anything close to the rear, so not really buying the wheels being in harmony.

Offline q1svt

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »
q1svt, Not arguing about replacing the fronts rotors, just arguing the value of replacing the rear rotor, more so while keeping the heavy stock wheels. I can see the value of lighter weight, certainly with aftermarket wheels. I just don't see the value of a $400 rotor on a stock bagger when I don't use the rear brake much.

Also the front wheel does not weigh anything close to the rear, so not really buying the wheels being in harmony.

The issues is not about stopping... the issue is handling of the bike.

Not buying the gyroscopic affect... then try it  :wink:   because like I said "With a bagger* your first ride will tell you how bad of an idea it was... and you will gladly open your wallet or eat the cost of the new front two rotors."  You'll then have first hand feedback on your opinion.

How do I know, I tried it.  My MMB rotors sat around a couple months awaiting the time the rear tire needed to be replaced. At that time I was booked up, and no time to change the tire so I installed the front rotors, through the rear rotor in the saddle bag to ride 25 miles to the shop.  The fews miles I rode on the freeway was some of the scariest riding I've done.  Added a little input to change lanes the front would layover quicker than before BUT the rear had a mine of it's own... Got off the FW and rode back roads to the shop.

Love the greatly improved handling after three rotors were installed.

Kind of like HD going to 18/19" fronts and lighter rears in about 2012.  It really changed how the baggers handled.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2018, 06:11:31 AM »
Eh, ok. But I am just concerned about stopping. It is a 900 pound bagger, it handles like a small truck, but good enough for what it is. If I were concerned about making it handle better the wheels would be the first to go, but I am not interested in dumping a bunch of money that direction. I have the R1 for the speed and handling fun. The bagger is my motorhome on two wheels that I flog into a few twisties once in a while.